IS 250 RWD Transmission decision

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 09:37 AM
chodapopp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 250 RWD Transmission decision

Hi everyone -

I have tendered my resignation from the RX-8 club, and I am in the process of taking up residence over here as I am negotiating to lease a 2009 IS 250 RWD.

My question is the transmission - it is relatively easy to locate a 5-speed automatic, but I really, really want a manual which is proving difficult to find with the options I want.

Should I hold out for a manual (ie. rent a car for two months until one comes available) or should I look forward to using the Shiftronic/paddle shifters (even though I'm actually paying more for a tranny I don't want)??

My wife thinks I'm crazy because I'm obsessing, but I don't want to regret my decision -
Old 09-10-08, 09:53 AM
neova
Pole Position

if you enjoy driving a manual, no automatic would match the experience even if that automatic was state-of-the art and gives you quicker shifts.

driving a manual is about being involved in the driving experience and the 6-speed on the IS250 while not one of the smoothest but it's acceptable (it's a lot less direct and have longer throws than say, an Acura TSX).

If you love manual, wait for one. Getting out of a lease is expensive should you regret getting an automatic!
Old 09-10-08, 10:07 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

It is a 6-speed automatic. If you really want a manual, I would say it's worth waiting for.
Old 09-10-08, 10:27 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

it's really hard to find 6MT......

I would say test drive both and then decide.....
Old 09-10-08, 10:37 AM
chodapopp
Driver School Candidate

I admit... I posted this before I started searching around the forums where there seem to be a lot of complaints about the clunkiness and long throws - my dealer is letting me take the automatic demo overnight so I can get a chance to really open it up and see what I think.

At least if I go with the auto, I can be one of those jackasses that type on their blackberrys with both hands to while driving in the city.
Old 09-10-08, 10:46 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wait for the manual, even though I have the 350 which has an extra 102 horsepower. If i can do it again, I would have gotten the manual, it's so much more fun.
Old 09-10-08, 10:49 AM
leo_k
Pole Position

At least if I go with the auto, I can be one of those jackasses that type on their blackberrys with both hands to while driving in the city.
thats me, and not just in the city... on the highway, in the rain, in the snow...

i have gotten very good at driving with my left knee, i can actually take some off ramps just using left knee, but depends how tight the turn is

But i dunno i just cant get anything other than auto because unfortunately i am extremely lazy and dont want to do all that work in the morning and at night when i have had *1 or 2* beers... (that number has been dumbed down ALOT so you dont think im an idiot)

but nothing beats the Manual in pure fun.

i hate my paddle shifters, i think they lag a little, and not as precise as the tiptronic (the hand shifter)

its really what floats your boat and what doesnt.

lol
Old 09-10-08, 10:55 AM
MARINE
Driver

Originally Posted by chodapopp
I admit... I posted this before I started searching around the forums where there seem to be a lot of complaints about the clunkiness and long throws - my dealer is letting me take the automatic demo overnight so I can get a chance to really open it up and see what I think.

Or get this...http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par....asp?id=197099

I think its the right part.
Old 09-10-08, 11:14 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

THE PADDLES ARE WORTHLESS GIMMICKS!

They are not shifters. The car shifts up and down as it pleases using the paddle shifters. All the paddles do is change the amount of gears your transmission can use.

IE... if you set it to 4, the car can use 4 gears as it pleases. Even with it set to 4, your car could be in 2nd gear... etc. ITS DOO DOO.

The car is fully auto. If you dont mind that, then get the auto. If you cant tell, I hate these stupid "Paddle Gear Limiters"
Old 09-10-08, 11:53 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
THE PADDLES ARE WORTHLESS GIMMICKS!

They are not shifters. The car shifts up and down as it pleases using the paddle shifters. All the paddles do is change the amount of gears your transmission can use.

IE... if you set it to 4, the car can use 4 gears as it pleases. Even with it set to 4, your car could be in 2nd gear... etc. ITS DOO DOO.

The car is fully auto. If you dont mind that, then get the auto. If you cant tell, I hate these stupid "Paddle Gear Limiters"

hey at least u can go up to red line with the paddle shifters, it just auto shifts once u get up there thats the only thing, and u don't ahve the neutral gear between gear chances to play around with. but i wanted a manual but then i wanted the power of the 350, no way i was going to get a slower car than my brother haha, he has a GS 350
Old 09-10-08, 12:42 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xuningshen
hey at least u can go up to red line with the paddle shifters, it just auto shifts once u get up there thats the only thing, and u don't ahve the neutral gear between gear chances to play around with. but i wanted a manual but then i wanted the power of the 350, no way i was going to get a slower car than my brother haha, he has a GS 350
You can redline the car in Regular AT mode as well. The only difference is you cannot hold Redline in Regular AT mode. I dont know why anyone would want to do that anyway.
Old 09-10-08, 02:25 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I was in the same boat earlier this year - driven manuals all my life. Fully expected to just go in and buy a 6 sp manual IS250 - until I drove it! It has to be just about the worst manual I've ever driven in my life - baulky shifter, grabby clutch - I ended up getting the automatic. And yes, the paddles are worthless!

Still love the car though
Old 09-10-08, 03:52 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Paddles = worthless
Manual = eh
Manual + short shift kit = better but it'll never be anything close to the bolt-action feeling of the RX8