IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it too much???????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 02:06 PM
Kuki_350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it too much???????

Close to $700 for installing aftermarket wheels, initialize the TPMS sensors and install an F-Sport intake? Well here is what happened:

Took the car in on Friday for them to take off my stock wheels and install the aftermarket wheels/tires that already mounted with the TPMS installed via adapters. I also informed them to inflate the tires since they’re low.

Around 3pm, they called to tell me that the tech said that he can’t install the aftermarket wheels because they’re too big. I told them that the wheels just came off another IS350 (JAVYLSU’s to be exact), so it has to fit. They said they will try. Two hours later, they called and said they got the wheels on, but ran out of time to initialize the TPMS, so asked if I want to leave the car over the weekend so they can work on it on Monday, but I said I will come by to pick my car up and bring it in on Tuesday to have my F-Sport install also. I drove home and notice the front passenger tire seem to be low, checked and it showed only 12 PSI. I inflated it and worry about the TPMS sensor might have been damaged, but not sure.

Brought the car in on Tuesday, and around 3:30pm, the service manager called and said that he had to take all the tires off the rims to get the TPMS sensors part number to initialize them, but one of the TPMS does not want to initialize. I informed him about the low pressure tire and then he suggested using one of the TPMS sensors on my stock wheels as a replacement, and I said ok. But then he said they have to take that tire off to install the sensor and initialize it again, and it will take at least 1.5 hours, so the car has to stay over night. I said OK again (kinda pissed).

And the whole story come down to this: today I called to check on my car and asked for the total service charge, the service manager said it will be $681. I am shocked to hear that amount. What do you guys think?

Sorry for long narrative,

Kuki
Old 09-10-08, 03:18 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

That is way too much! Didn't you discuss the cost upfront? Looks like you're being charged with a lot of labor times because of their incompetence. Let's say 1 hour for installation of the new wheels (your case is even less work with the tires already mounted) and another hour for the intake installation (this is already too generous), that's just a total of 2 hours. Assuming they charge $150/hour then its a maximum of $300. BTW, the sensor registration takes only a few minutes.
Old 09-10-08, 03:28 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, that is off the heez ridiculous.

As a point of reference, i bought new rims. The took my old tires off, mounted the TPMS on the new rims, installed the tires, balanced them, installed them on the car.

Total labor cost $140. Time to comlete the work, roughly 2 hours.

You are getting jacked, tell them to **** off.
Old 09-10-08, 04:26 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

$681 is way too much for the work you listed. I believe they are trying to pull a fast one on you! I agree with what everyone else has said, you shouldn't be charged service time for their own mechanic's incompetence.
Did you discuss prices before the work was to be done?
Old 09-10-08, 05:14 PM
Kuki_350
Rookie

yeah i did talked about the cost and it was around $250, but i guess the new guy that i did the paperwork with guy and he was clueless.
Yeah, i could have install the wheels myself and have them initialize the TPMS and install the intake. I guess it a lesson learned.

thanks guys,
Old 09-10-08, 05:16 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
yeah, that is off the heez ridiculous.

As a point of reference, i bought new rims. The took my old tires off, mounted the TPMS on the new rims, installed the tires, balanced them, installed them on the car.

Total labor cost $140. Time to comlete the work, roughly 2 hours.

You are getting jacked, tell them to **** off.
I had something similar done for $99 at a toyota dealer, new rims, new tires, new tpms (installed & programmed), mounted & balanced. Can't believe how much they charged you, definitely wouldn't want to pay that, maybe half at most. 12psi! come on... It should've all taken 2hrs total...

Make's me wonder why the dealer keeps pushing for you to leave the car over night, almost like someone wants to take it for a ride. SHADY!
Old 09-10-08, 05:43 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuki_350
Close to $700 for installing aftermarket wheels, initialize the TPMS sensors and install an F-Sport intake?
WHOA. WAAAAY too much. You shouldn't have to pay for their incompetence.

Around 3pm, they called to tell me that the tech said that he can’t install the aftermarket wheels because they’re too big. I told them that the wheels just came off another IS350 (JAVYLSU’s to be exact), so it has to fit.
LOL. What, they couldn't fit the wheel in the wheel well?? What kind of dealership is this???

I drove home and notice the front passenger tire seem to be low, checked and it showed only 12 PSI. I inflated it and worry about the TPMS sensor might have been damaged, but not sure.
WTF??? 12 psi is what I shipped them with! If anything was damaged, make THEM pay for it.

Brought the car in on Tuesday, and around 3:30pm, the service manager called and said that he had to take all the tires off the rims to get the TPMS sensors part number to initialize them, but one of the TPMS does not want to initialize. I informed him about the low pressure tire and then he suggested using one of the TPMS sensors on my stock wheels as a replacement, and I said ok. But then he said they have to take that tire off to install the sensor and initialize it again, and it will take at least 1.5 hours, so the car has to stay over night. I said OK again (kinda pissed).
Again, you shouldn't have to pay extra labor charges for their incompetence. Those TPMS sensors were perfect, so if they broke one, they need to replace it.

And the whole story come down to this: today I called to check on my car and asked for the total service charge, the service manager said it will be $681. I am shocked to hear that amount. What do you guys think?

Sorry for long narrative,

Kuki
No way I would pay that. Utterly ridiculous! On a completely separate note, got any pics?

Javier
Old 09-10-08, 06:16 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like they are trying to rip you off man.
Old 09-10-08, 07:57 PM
yamkoo1002
Driver

They are ripping you off! take your business elsewhere.
Old 09-10-08, 08:26 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

700 bucks? That's just retarded! stealerships I tell ya... sigh...
Old 09-10-08, 08:42 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Here in SF, I paid only $95 to mount my tires with sensor and I am running 30s series. Intake would cost $50 to install here in the bay area.
Old 09-10-08, 10:32 PM
hihi410
Lead Lap

Angry

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Here in SF, I paid only $95 to mount my tires with sensor and I am running 30s series. Intake would cost $50 to install here in the bay area.
Damn thats cheap lol.

And to the OP, yes that's way too expensive. Set aside the F-sport, the tires should not take that long for them to install....especially it came off of a IS350.

I would definitely complain about the cost and make sure you get charged for what is worth. Just because they had to keep your car over night due to their incompetence, doesn't mean they should charge their customers for their mistakes.

Hopefully everything works out.
Old 09-10-08, 10:51 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Deflated the wheel and installed the sensor myself. Paid 50 bucks to get it programmed. Intake. you can install it urself. so 700 bucks ? umm avg price for tpms programming is around 150-200
Old 09-11-08, 12:46 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

yikes! turns me off from modding my car in any way. that sounds way overpriced but again that's the stealership, er i mean dealership for ya.
Old 09-11-08, 01:06 AM
albert_23
Pole Position

is that from the dealership? man that's a rip off.

Quick Reply: Is it too much???????