IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trying to become a new owner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 09:02 PM
DjBuddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to become a new owner?

Hey guys, this is my first post, been reading these forums for a while now and it seems that ppl get alot of feed back here, so here is my sisituation. Currently i own a 2007 Honda Accord Coupe 2.4 4cyl vtec, and i have to say hondas are terribly over rated. Before i leased this car everybody told me how great these cars are, but boy was i dissapointed. My initial test drive wasnt bad and the price was right.But after driving 100 miles to work everyday my opinion about changed quickly, its lacks in power big time(2.4L 166 hp)lots of engine vibration,seats are not too comfortable, sound system is just terrible and honda service is just a nightmare, everytime i had a problem it either couldnt be replicated or its just normal.So enough of my bad experiance, this coming feb 2009 im out of my lease with honda, and ive been looking and liking alot the Is250, now can you guys plz tell me your honest opinions on how is the car,i will be choosing the auto version of it and most likely rwd. Does it have enough power? 0-60 on the honda was bout 7.9-8.3, How is the stock sound system?How is the auto tranny?How is the lexus service?and what kind of lease numbers should i expect for a pretty entry is250 auto rwd vs awd?
Old 09-10-08, 09:10 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Two words. Test Drive.
Old 09-10-08, 09:13 PM
DjBuddy
Driver School Candidate

already did, spend bout 15 min on the highway, its quiet and nice, couldnt really test it out to my likings, just need a second opinion from you guys
Old 09-10-08, 09:26 PM
GFMIS250
Rookie

Do or Do Not, There is no try....Sorry couldn't resist...anyways the 250 has plenty of power to get to point a to b, but it's not like the 350 (wowzers) which goes when you step on it lol. Like my other post I made, I thought of getting rid of the 250 for the 350 cause of the "lack" of power the 250 has but like the others said in my post it gets me there fast enough so right now im enjoying it very much, go mod bug!

The tranny is alright, smooth, you can feel it shift a little, I just wish the sport mode was more accurate then it would have been awesome.

Stereo is pretty good for a stock system, it's made by pioneer if im not mistaken but i am a music junky and wish I got the Mark Levinson package, oh well.

Think thats it....hope this helps, like iKenn said just test drive it couple times or something and push it to see what its got and fiddle with what it has to offer.

GL

-Drew
Old 09-10-08, 09:29 PM
phast350
Driver School Candidate

Test drive the IS350 with Mark Levinson. Engine is a lot smoother than the IS250 V6, seats are comfortable, and sound system is great. I'd go IS250 for AWD only, otherwise 350 is the way to go. Listen to the engines side by side on the lot, you'll never go back. Worth the few Gs difference.
Old 09-10-08, 09:36 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't try the normal audio system, but Mark Levinson is awesome
Old 09-10-08, 10:20 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

If where you live there are lots of potholes than the ride may not be so smooth. As for the power you better look at something else if you are looking for something very fast. Maybe try a V6 Camry or a new V6 Accord or the IS 350 if you can swing it. I just bought my IS250 at the end of last month and I'm very happy with it but it's not even close to a v6 Camry or V6 Accord but I wasn't looking for speed. BTW check with your insurance company because the IS is pretty expensive to insure and even more expensive when you lease.
Old 09-11-08, 02:35 AM
speedfoos
Driver School Candidate

I'm a Honda guy. Always have been, always will be. My wife is not a Honda girl. She test drove the Acura TSX and TL and didn't like them, much to my dismay. So I bought her the 250. We pick it up next week. I'm sure it will be nice and comfy and luxurious, but it's got 205bhp. This is fine for her and great for gas prices, but not enough power for me. So the 250 gets suspension and vanity mods and I'll drive my boosted Civic which is already putting 260 to the wheels and will push more once I change out the EMS and injectors and turn up the boost.

Hondas are for modding. They have $500 engines that I don't cry over when they blow. Not so much with a Lexus. I won't touch the motor on that car until momma is ready for a new car, if even though. We had to get the auto tranny which is worthless for modding. Can't even run ITBs on the damn car because it runs a MAF and all the other horribly complex circuitry that makes Lexus a luxury car. So yeah, momma will be happy with the car because it's pretty, it's comfortable, it's got the Lexus brand snobbery, and 200hp isn't exactly slow. I'll hate it because I won't be able to rip it apart in my garage and make it go faster. Oh well. It's about compromises.
Old 09-11-08, 04:36 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

This car is definately more comfy inside (seats, etc.) however compared to the Honda Accord this is a much stiffer ride. For long drives you can do it, but just know that its going to be like that. I used to drive 65mi each way to work for a year in my car, put tons of miles on it. It was alright, but everytime I got in my c class (softer suspension) it just felt more comfortable for the commute. But its all upto you, do a longer test drive to make sure you like the stiffer suspension, remember if you get the RWD most likely it will come with 18's. AWD standard is 17's. Your accord prob had 16's? Anyways, I still love my car, glad I dont have to commute that far anymore (only 3miles now) and would highly recommend it, just for your commute IMO I would get something with a softer suspension.
Old 09-11-08, 04:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

If the primary reason you are getting out of your Honda is because you crave more power, I'd highly recommend choosing the IS350 over the IS250. I've driven IS250s as service loaners, and although they are very nice cars, power is just adequate, not thrilling.
Old 09-11-08, 05:13 AM
DjBuddy
Driver School Candidate

No im not into racing of any kind anymore, it caused me too much trouble in the past, i was just wondering how is the car for highway passing or going up hills, living in Pa we have alot of mountains and alot of Big rigs on the highway, to pass somebody on a high way i have to step on the honda really hard to pass someone upwards 5000rpms, anybody had the rwd with stock wheels n tires in the snow?we do get abit of snow and ice here and my house is on a hill?
Old 09-11-08, 05:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DjBuddy
No im not into racing of any kind anymore, it caused me too much trouble in the past, i was just wondering how is the car for highway passing or going up hills, living in Pa we have alot of mountains and alot of Big rigs on the highway, to pass somebody on a high way i have to step on the honda really hard to pass someone upwards 5000rpms, anybody had the rwd with stock wheels n tires in the snow?we do get abit of snow and ice here and my house is on a hill?
Mountains in PA in winter.
Live on a hill.
Get a 250AWD.
It's quicker than your Honda.
Old 09-11-08, 09:39 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched from a 4 door accord to a lexus. It was a great commuter car at that time. Then had to take 2 trips 400+ miles each trip back to back weekend. wont ever do that again! I love my 250 the seats are great even after back surgery .

When i go out of town i have plenty or power to pass people. Probably use the paddles to get to the right gear you want faster. Ride isnt the normal lexus soft, more of a tighter than the accord.

I know passnu2 and brian231 driven there in the snow with snow tires without any problems. I know passnu2 is a 350 not sure about brian. Hopefully passnu2 and brian231 can help with the snow.

Stock system is the best i have heard in any car!!! ML was little too tinge for me!
Old 09-11-08, 11:27 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

if you're worried about power just go with the 350, it's well worth it.

edit: it is difficult to get the RWD 250 in the northeast, you will most likely have to special order it and so the discount off MSRP won't be anywhere as good, which makes getting the 350 that much more worth it.

Last edited by JKA.nyc; 09-11-08 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-11-08, 11:53 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slee18
I know passnu2 and brian231 driven there in the snow with snow tires without any problems. I know passnu2 is a 350 not sure about brian. Hopefully passnu2 and brian231 can help with the snow.

Stock system is the best i have heard in any car!!! ML was little too tinge for me!
Brian had a 250AWD.
Again,living on a hill and driving a lot up mouintains,a 250AWD is the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Trying to become a new owner?