IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New IS350 owner with nav, tint, front plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 10:23 AM
mcgo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New IS350 owner with nav, tint, front plate questions

Just got a 2008 IS350 over Labor Day weekend.. posting pics after I get my tint.

Anyway, I got quoted from a local guy to do the Nav hack (install the kit, no wire cutting) for $350 (normally charges $390, but I asked for less). Is this a fair deal? I know the part would cost me $150 if I got it off ebay, and I'm not so good with taking car stuff apart. I recently got the VAIS ipod adapter installed, and it sucks that I can't go through the playlists and track listings while driving.

I'm also looking to do my tint very soon, and am not sure what %'s to go with. I'm thinking either 50% front / 35% back, or 70% front / 50% back. I live in california so law is 70% front. Btw, my car is black.

Does anyone have any opinions on front plates in southern california? What I mean is that I don't wanna get pulled over all the time for not having it, but I would definitely prefer not putting it on. I think I will just because I don't want to deal with cops, and because I also have 2 circular dents from where the screws for the license plate went through the brackets.

Thanks!

Last edited by mcgo; 09-17-08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-17-08, 10:52 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

welcome to CL, check out the DIYs and search.
Old 09-17-08, 11:00 AM
mcgo
Driver School Candidate

Already looked through a lot of the DIY's and searched through many threads.

However, I'm sure no DIY will tell me the fair price of a nav-hack install, and I wasn't able to find any thread about the price of it.

I was also hoping to get a quick answer to my question about a good looking tint on a black car.

As for the front plate question, that was just something else I threw in there because it just happened to be on my mind at the time that I wrote the post.
Old 09-17-08, 11:09 AM
Stokdgs
Driver

Welcome to a great forum ! Congratulations on the new car !
While it is against the law to not have a front plate, I have not had one on my vehicles since 1969, and have never had a problem. However, I tend to travel as much in stealth mode as possible, dont do stupid things in traffic, dont speed unecessarily, dont street race, dont attract attention to myself.
I let the awesome car do the attention gathering for me.

I got busted for tinted front windows years ago by a real piece of work sheriff in Sacramento and let it go to court, where my attorney prevailed in getting the DA to drop the charges. I didnt know you could now use tint on the front windows in CA- when did that change ?

I found that with dark tint at night it is much harder to see out the back window/s - is this going to be ok? I know you might have the back up camera and that helps greatly, but back up cameras dont have the great peripheral vision our eyes have.

If you choose to not run the front plate, you may look up http://www.aerotect.net/ ; they make these awesome bumper plugs that would fit into the holes, and they are painted the factory paint color.

Dont know much about the IPOD or Nav Hack ideas, I have a fully loaded IS350 with the NAV and M/L big audio system. Good luck with this part, know that many have hacked their Nav, etc.. and been happy with the results.

DanF

Last edited by Stokdgs; 09-17-08 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added the AeroTect URL
Old 09-17-08, 11:32 AM
Dogmeat
Driver

i did 50 percent front and rear windows. no problems yet. (knock on wood).

license plate i would just worry about parking on the streets in el segundo and driving in LAX airport. Parking police are ****'s here.
Old 09-17-08, 11:45 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

I have 35% Front & 5% Rear, I live the South Bay Area, it's been about 1.5 years no problems with the cops or CHP. I have my Ford Escape in the same set up for about 8 years no problems either. I don't have the front License plate, no problems either. I think your better off 35% all around its really light. My coworker has Black IS250 with 35 Front and 25 Rear looks really light in the front.
Old 09-17-08, 01:24 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

First, did you get the ML option for your NAV?

Second, save your $200 and DIY. It simple to take apart the dash by following the DIY thread here.

IMO $350 for the install is way to much.
Old 09-17-08, 01:37 PM
mcgo
Driver School Candidate

I have nav, but no ML.

Can anyone confirm that $150 is about how much I should be paying for the part?

I've only seen it on ebay...

ebay link
Old 09-17-08, 04:57 PM
n8236
Pole Position

If you want the best all around tint, i highly suggest 35% fronts and 20% rears. Anything less than 35% fronts, the cops will not be able to see the floor of your car when they shine their flashlights through. For the five years I've owned my RSX with that tint %, I've never gotten a fix-it ticket.