IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Service Manual

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 10:16 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
No, the bible for Lexus service is the TIS website, at http://techinfo.lexus.com. That's what the technicians at the dealership use, and for $10/day, $50/month or $350/year, you can have access to the same resource. Service procedures and parts are updated on an on-going basis; leaving the traditional paper manuals out-of-date by the time they are printed.
I couldn't agree more
Old 09-19-08, 06:26 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

This is exactly why I buy an annual subscription. With three Toyota products in the house, I find it invaluable. Toyota is by far the cheapest of all the manufacturers as well.

That ebay vendor is violating Toyota copyright, AND for $200 you only get access to the manuals. When you subscribe to TIS, you get all kinds of good stuff including access to Toyota Factory Training manuals, so you can learn about the technology, not just get a guide to repair it.
Old 09-19-08, 08:33 AM
Cubanaso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since my aim is to keep my IS350 till the wheels fall off, I'd like to look into this also. TIS sounds great, but the last thing I need is to spend another $50 per month while I know it's a great tool.
Old 09-19-08, 03:12 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That ebay vendor is violating Toyota copyright, AND for $200 you only get access to the manuals.
I don't know why you would even say this. It's NOT illegal to sell books that you own. He sells ORIGINAL FACTORY MANUALS. Not reprints, not CD copies off another source, nothing but an ORIGINAL set of manuals.

And "access to the manuals"...I don't know what the heck that means, but you get the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL---> an actual book that tells you the specifics of how to assemble and disassemble your car. Exactly what you get on TIS, but in print form that you can put on a shelf and grab if needed.

Personally, I don't like the computer access stuff. If I'm working on my car and come across a problem or something, the last thing I want to do is jump on my office computer and try logging in to a website for tech information while my crud-filled hands get all over my keyboard. And, then, try printing out something so that you see the right orientation or something. But, to each his own....

Last edited by mikes rx; 09-19-08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-19-08, 08:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I don't know why you would even say this. It's NOT illegal to sell books that you own. He sells ORIGINAL FACTORY MANUALS. Not reprints, not CD copies off another source, nothing but an ORIGINAL set of manuals.

And "access to the manuals"...I don't know what the heck that means, but you get the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL---> an actual book that tells you the specifics of how to assemble and disassemble your car. Exactly what you get on TIS, but in print form that you can put on a shelf and grab if needed.

Personally, I don't like the computer access stuff. If I'm working on my car and come across a problem or something, the last thing I want to do is jump on my office computer and try logging in to a website for tech information while my crud-filled hands get all over my keyboard. And, then, try printing out something so that you see the right orientation or something. But, to each his own....
I'm saying it because I priced the printed manuals. They're not $200. Try ~$850. Unless he's an idiot and selling these things for a $650 loss, he's illegally selling copyrighted information. Why do you think I chose the annual subscription to cover the Scion, the Supra, and the Lexus for less than a dollar a day?

Whether you like it or not, the world is going to electronic access. You can print the pages without issue so you can get the paper all greasy and throw it away when you're done (try that with your printed manual!) without losing a single byte of data. PLUS - any updates or discrepancies get fixed in the online version, so you know you have the latest and greatest version with all the updates.
Old 09-19-08, 08:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Cubanaso
Since my aim is to keep my IS350 till the wheels fall off, I'd like to look into this also. TIS sounds great, but the last thing I need is to spend another $50 per month while I know it's a great tool.
Then spend $350 a year. That's less than a dollar a day. In fact, it's less than a 20,000 mile service for most people on this list who manage to burn through their brake pads in short order.
Old 09-20-08, 04:52 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm saying it because I priced the printed manuals. They're not $200. Try ~$850. Unless he's an idiot and selling these things for a $650 loss, he's illegally selling copyrighted information. Why do you think I chose the annual subscription to cover the Scion, the Supra, and the Lexus for less than a dollar a day.
I agree that the "retail" price from Lexus is almost $200 a book, not the set, but that still doesn't mean that he's illegally selling anything. Don't paint a bad picture for someone that's an honest seller.

I'm sure that there are ways of getting the books much cheaper than MSRP...whether it be from a car dealer, book dealer, or whatever. As long as he has a real means of purchasing them, and then decides to sell them, that's his prerogative, and doesn't make it illegal. Now, those sellers that sell service manual cd's and actual REPRINTS, are a different story.

Anyway, that's all. No sense arguing on what's illegal and what's not. What's important is that people have access to the means to work on their own car.

Whether it be via TIS or the bound service manual, either one will be invaluable when you need it.

BTW, I know we're in the computer age now, but there's still something about reading a book in your hand vs. scrolling down a webpage. Yes, you can print it out, but still.
The TIS website seems nice, especially since it can be updated, but I really don't like paying indefinite daily/monthly/whatever fees for something that may not be used, vs. having a one-time fee (purchasing the book) and having it sit for when needed. Plus, you can't resell your TIS subscription when you sell your car, like you can the book. But I guess there's always upsides and downsides to things.

Last edited by mikes rx; 09-20-08 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 08:08 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, here's the break down:

Vol. 1 00245-RM07T0U1 = $144.14
Vol. 2 00245-RM07T0U2 = $128.97
Vol. 3 00245-RM07T0U3 = $136.55
Vol. 4 00245-RM07T0U4 = $136.55
Vol. 5 00245-RM07T0U5 = $136.55

Total = $682.76

Yes, TIS is a much better deal, and is filled with Lexus and Toyota information beyond your wildest imagination, seriously!!