IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Official Blackstone UOA thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 06:41 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Believe it or not, having service records is basically worthless... Nobody ever asks to see them, and if they do and you say "I don't have any", it usually will not make a bit of difference... Of course, I'm generalizing, but 95% of the time, this is the way it is... I've sold several dozen cars in my life and I've never had it make any difference...
Really??? Worthless??? I disagree... Not to derail this thread, but I too have owned and sold more then my fair share of high-end performance automobiles to include Ducati motorcycles. In the private market, I found having records to show a buyer is a significant benefit. On almost every occassion the buyer not only asks for records but scrutinized them. Buyer's are comforted when a seller can demonstrate that not only was the seller **** about taking care of the exterior/interior, but equally if not more so **** about taking care of the working parts especially regarding performance automobiles. My experience has been that 99% of the time the first buyer to look at one of my cars bought it that day despite considering other vehicles. For a buyer, when it comes down to a clean well taken care of documented car vs. an undocumented car the documented car will win hands down in almost every case and the documented car will likely fetch a higher price. Why do you think people are so apprehensive about buying undocumented auctioned vehicles?

That said, I have yet to sell any of my Lexus vehicles, so perhaps it is true as Lance suggests that a buyer looking at a Lexus will not care as much, but it is complete naivity to believe vehicle records are worthless.

Over and out!
Old 01-23-09, 06:45 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by smoking1
I definitely think having service records puts you in a better negotiating position when selling a car. I’m not sure how many people buying IS would be hard core sports car drivers though… This car is kind of a mix to where I bet the majority of resale buyers wouldn’t know what Amsoil or RP is….
Agreed, but I guess some would like you to believe those buyers are just not that "smart." LMAO
Old 01-23-09, 03:11 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Service records won't make or break a deal on a Lexus. Ferrari? Sure. Not on an IS for sure. If it's clean inside and out, drives nicely, and has relatively low mileage the buyer won't care about maintenance records. That said, Carfax can kill a deal in a second.
100% agreed on carfax... I hate carfax I had a scratch on a car, a MINOR scratch, could barely see it except in a certain light at a certain angle... Decided to take it to a body-shop for an estimate, and they said, "well, we'll give you an estimate to paint it, but you can probably just wet sand it out"... They gave me an estimate and then wet sanded it for free and it was perfect.... Guess what? When I went to sell the car a few years later I saw "1 accident" on my carfax record... WTF??? It was from the estimate from the body shop...

Funny thing is, I had another car at that same time that was rear-ended and actually had decent damage ($3000) and carfax was 100% clean when I sold that one!! carfax FTL...

Originally Posted by cssnms
Really??? Worthless??? I disagree...

That said, I have yet to sell any of my Lexus vehicles, so perhaps it is true as Lance suggests that a buyer looking at a Lexus will not care as much, but it is complete naivity to believe vehicle records are worthless.
Not worthless, I said "basically worthless"... Meaning, unless you have an exotic (Ferrari, Lotus, Ducati) it won't make a lick of difference...

Granted, 90% of the cars I've sold in the past 10 years have been mid-range "luxury" cars (Acura, Jag, mercedes, lexus, bmw) ($25k-$60k), so maybe it's just that market... Maybe the people buying $5k used civics want full records, and maybe the people buying $80k used S65's do to, I dunno... I doubt it though...
Old 01-23-09, 07:00 PM
cssnms
Racer

Not worthless, I said "basically worthless"... Meaning, unless you have an exotic (Ferrari, Lotus, Ducati) it won't make a lick of difference...
OH, I see, thanks for clearing that up!

Maybe the people buying $5k used civics want full records, and maybe the people buying $80k used S65's do to, I dunno... I doubt it though...
Only buyers of $5k civics or Ferraris want full service records? You're pulling my leg right?

I dunno...
YES, we finally agree!

Last edited by cssnms; 01-23-09 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 09:03 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Only buyers of $5k civics or Ferraris want full service records? You're pulling my leg right?
Well, those are the only buyers I haven't really dealt with, so I'm just saying that if someone out there cares about service records, maybe it's those people... The people who bought from me in the past certainly didn't care about a lack of service records... And I've consistently seen/heard the same...

Anyway, if it makes you feel better, or you think you'll get more money, or sell your car faster, have the pile of service records... But IMHO it certainly does NOT pay dividends... The cost of all that maintenance is NOT recovered in a higher sales price...

YES, we finally agree!
lol
Old 02-26-09, 03:19 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

3rd oil sample.

Taken on a short OCI due to higher-than-expected FE in the last sample. Ran short to attempt to isolate a few variables. Will run another short OCI on next change to verify and check one more variable. Yes, yes, big waste of money on the M1-EP for a short OCI. Needed to maintain same oil to eliminate one variable.

Old 06-01-09, 04:10 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

As above. This is the final 'short' OCI. All is looking good, so back to 5K+ OCI. It looks like Terry may have been correct in his sidebar assessment.

Old 06-01-09, 10:50 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Janizary
As above. This is the final 'short' OCI. All is looking good, so back to 5K+ OCI. It looks like Terry may have been correct in his sidebar assessment.

Funny how he tells you that you can go "back" to 5000 mile oil changes while at the same time he says my IS350 can go 12,000+ miles on regular dino oil...
Old 06-24-09, 09:08 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys be the judge:

Old 08-19-11, 01:21 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
My thoughts are that using any decent synthetic and changing at less than 10-15k is literally pouring money down the drain.

5k is a great interval for the guy charging you to change it though.

Amsoil is my own preference BTW- and they guarantee their OCIs at 25-35k for their fully synthetic oils (if you can show the engine failed due to the longer OCI they replace your engine) and in 30+ years nobody has had to claim it.
Are you supposed to replace the filter every 5k for these long OCI w/ Amsoil?
Old 08-19-11, 05:27 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Are you supposed to replace the filter every 5k for these long OCI w/ Amsoil?
Yes, change the filter out every 5k if you want to the oil to last. You'll lose maybe 1/2 quart of oil at most. It's a good time to check the oil and top off as well.
Old 08-19-11, 06:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Yes, change the filter out every 5k if you want to the oil to last. You'll lose maybe 1/2 quart of oil at most. It's a good time to check the oil and top off as well.
5k is probably a little more often than necessarily... if I recall a few guys have had pretty good UOAs with no filter change at all and a 10-11k OCI.... it's around 12k with no change I've seen some questionable UOA results...

I suspect with something as good as amsoil you could run at least a 15k OCI with a filter change at 7500... possibly you'd be ok going as high as 20-25k OCI/filter at 10-12.5k.

With just Mobil 1 something like a 12k OCI with a filter change at 6 ought to be fine, and might be pushable as high as 15k/7500 filter.

As always you'd need to try it yourself and get UOA done to be sure exactly what is ok for YOUR car under YOUR driving conditions though.