IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How Much Is Too Much Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08 | 08:19 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Default How Much Is Too Much Oil?

Just got an oil change and the level is about 1/8 of an inch above the top marker. Is this something to worry about?
Old 09-21-08 | 01:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

You're fine.
Old 09-21-08 | 01:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Just got an oil change and the level is about 1/8 of an inch above the top marker. Is this something to worry about?
Worry? No. Just remove some oil. There's too much in there.
Old 09-21-08 | 04:33 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Ok, if I don't remove the excess, is there any long term effect? If none, then why should I remove it? Thanks.
Old 09-21-08 | 04:37 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Detailed explanation of why too much oil is bad...

What happens when an engine is overfilled with oil?

So you topped up the engine when it was warm after getting a faulty dipstick reading, or you put too much oil in when you changed it yourself. What's the worst that could happen? Well the problem with this is that the next time the engine is run, the windage in the crankcase and other pressures generated by the oil pump, etc. place a great strain on the seal on the rear main bearing.
Eventually, often much sooner than the ordinary man in the street might expect, the rear main bearing seal ruptures, and the engine becomes a 'leaker'. If you've got a manual gearbox, this means one thing: this oil goes right onto the flywheel and the face of the clutch disc. A lubricated clutch is A Bad Thing. If this still goes unnoticed, the front seal is the next to go, and the engine then becomes a 'gusher' (or to be more colourful, it starts pissing oil all over the place). As well as smothering the clutch with oil from the rear, the oil now coming from the front leak will be neatly distributed about the engine bay as it hits the front pulley - often propelling it out as far as the brake discs. At the same time as this Hollywood disaster movie is unfolding outside the engine, things aren't working out any better on the inside. As you can see from the diagram, the correct oil level is really close to the rotating crank. Overfilling will mean the crank dips into the oil and churns it into a froth. Froth is good on certain types of coffee but not good in an engine. The mixture of aerated oil will be forced into the bearings and in case you didn't know, air is not a lubricant. Typically this means that bearing damage will follow quite rapidly, especially if you are driving on a motorway. You'll know bearing damage when you get it. The engine smells like a garage mechanic cooking over an open flame and the noise coming from the engine is the sort of thing you'd normally hear in vaudeville plays when a piano is pushed down a flight of stairs. As if that all wasn't bad enough, the excess oil gets thrown up into the piston bores where the piston rings have a hard time coping with the excess oil and pressure. It gets into the combustion chamber and some of it will get out into the exhaust system unburned resulting in a nice patina of oil all over the platinum surfaces of your catalytic converter. This renders it utterly useless for good.
Well, you did ask.
Cliffnote: If the oil reaches a point though, where the oil reaches the height of the rotating crankshaft, and this whips the oil into a froth. Oil with lots of air in it does not lubricate well. The result can be the same kind of problems you would have running a car without oil...e.g. bearing failure, catastrophic damage.
Source: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Last edited by XprincoX; 09-21-08 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-21-08 | 05:33 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Ok, if I don't remove the excess, is there any long term effect? If none, then why should I remove it? Thanks.
Bring it back to the place where you got it done and have them drain some oil.

If you did it yourself, then drain a little oil. Maybe 1-2 seconds of removing the plug. Hopefully at about .5-1 quart drained and fill until it is at the correct level.

Question: Did you check the oil while the car is level? Was the oil filled while the car was level?

If the car may be at a slope, it will give an incorrect reading.

Goodluck!
Old 09-21-08 | 09:04 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

I already took it back to the place to drain some oil before I posted this thread. Yes the floor was level. I guess I'll have to take it back again so he can take more out.