IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

extended warranty, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 01:13 AM
albert_23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extended warranty, yes or no?

my factory warranty is ending in roughly a year time. do u think i should get an extended warranty? i'll be keeping this car for 3-4 more years.

if yes, how much will i be looking? should i get the one from lexus or outside company?
Old 09-29-08, 04:26 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, I think you should get one, especially if you're keeping the car for a long period of time.

2) I can't remember what the price was on mine, but keep in mind that with all the electronics on the car, a "simple" fix is going to probably cost quite a bit. To put it in perspective, getting my rear view mirror replaced under the TSB cost $650 just for the mirror itself.

3) I HIGHLY recommend the factory lexus extended warranty. It makes it EXTREMELY easy to just go to the dealer, tell them you have the factory extended warranty, and get everything fixed.

With aftermarket warranties, you have may have to deal with reimbursements, stuff not being covered at the proper cost, vehicle not being found in database/having to prove coverage, etc.

Last edited by mikes rx; 09-29-08 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 06:12 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

If you are to get an extended warranty i would do extensive research into the ones offered by your dealership. As a person who works with different extended warranty companies i can tell you there are some who just take your money & never cover anything. I would shop around first.
Old 09-29-08, 07:00 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

I'm gonna say no.

1. Although you "plan" on keeping your car another 3 to 4 years will that really be the case? Only you can honestly answer that question.

2. Lexus makes some of the most reliable vehicles offered. Do you really need an extended warranty?

If you take the money you were gonna spend on an extended warranty and place those funds into a simple interest bearing account you will have your extended warranty fund if you ever need it. If not then you have some extra money that has earned you a small dividend. This way if you end up getting rid of the car you are not out the money you invested on an extended warranty.
Old 09-29-08, 07:06 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a couple of dealers who sell the geniune Lexus warranty for $50-100 over invoice, which is a LOT less than your local dealer likely sells it for.

For an IS350 you're look someplace in the 1200-1400 range for the 7 year warranty IIRC with this pricing.

You can pretty easily drop that much on a single repair with the way Lexus charges for stuff.
Old 09-29-08, 07:51 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I think the key is how long you're going to keep it - if its definitely another 3-4 years, I's say yes. I would only get the Lexus Platinum Warranty - dealer cost is $1199 for the IS250 for 7 years/100,000 miles (ie 3 extra years and 50,000 miles) - don't know if the IS350 will be more but as another poster has said, you should be able to get this for $50 - $100 over. Call around the dealers until you get the price you like - as to speak to the finance manager.
Old 09-29-08, 08:30 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I think the key is how long you're going to keep it - if its definitely another 3-4 years, I's say yes. I would only get the Lexus Platinum Warranty - dealer cost is $1199 for the IS250 for 7 years/100,000 miles (ie 3 extra years and 50,000 miles) - don't know if the IS350 will be more but as another poster has said, you should be able to get this for $50 - $100 over. Call around the dealers until you get the price you like - as to speak to the finance manager.
Here is a link to the warranty with pricing straight from Lexus.com:

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/warra...rotection.html
Old 09-29-08, 08:30 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ +1 to Kurtz and sktn77a. The price of the extended warranty is just like the car itself--> NEGOTIABLE

BTW, even if you don't keep your car the entire time, you can do one of two things:

1) Sell the car with the extended warranty intact, which is almost ALWAYS a good selling point as it will attract more buyers and/or attract more money.

2) Sell the warranty back to the company, which almost ALWAYS gives you a prorated amount back (depending on coverage remaining).
Old 09-29-08, 08:52 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

We purchased the Lexus extended warranty when we bought the car. We plan to keep our IS250 for at least ten years so it made sense. It also gives me some peace of mind knowing that I’m not going to be hit hard after the factory warranty runs out.

I never was a fan of extended warranties until my HD TV crapped out two months after the factory warranty ran out and it cost me $900 to fix it.
Old 09-29-08, 09:10 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about this also. Can you purchase the extended warranty at any time?

I've got about 13k left on the warranty and about a year left as well. I'm also planning on keeping the car for the next 3-4 years at least.

I'm most particularly worried about the longevity of the nav/ml/electronics of the car not so much the engine etc.

But suspension components can also get expensive.

The retail price is $2375 as listed on the Lexus website. Any idea what price to really aim for? Or what invoice price might be?
Old 09-29-08, 09:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You can buy it anytime before the factory warranty expires

And yeah, the MSRP is marked up a good $1000 or so from what you can really buy it for...

Toby Rivers was the cheapest pricing I found when I looked around-

TobyToyota@aol.com

800-335-3987 ex 414

I think he works at a Lexus dealer in Louisiana

and yeah, check the guy who recently posted about how replacing his sunroof switch is gonna run almost $1000 for JUST THE PART.

If this was some basic chevy truck with like 9 moving parts that cost $3 each and no electronics I'd just fix it myself.

But your power windows have their own ECU, there's pretty much nothing that'll be affordable to repair.

Lexus is uberreliable, so maybe you'll never need to fix anything. Maybe not. But it's likely if you get the warranty near cost you'll pay for it, or close to it, with just one repair...and that's a decent enough gamble toward safety I'm willing to take it.
Old 09-29-08, 10:54 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

This topic is very subjective and only you can decide if the money is worth your peace of mind. As many have said, Lexus cars are reliable but expensive repairs may happen. If you decide to go for it, do a search and you'll find very competitive rates. One is what Kurtz suggested, another is Troy Dietrich at Toyota of Greenfield (413) 772-0989. When you get the warranty let us know which dealership you got them from. Oh yeah one more thing, make sure you get the Lexus Platinum Program.
Old 09-29-08, 11:01 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I would say no.....most of the stuff that broke easily are not covered....

btw, when you file a claim from extended warranty, sometime they are asking for the full maintenance record from the dealer.......

Last edited by kickin8; 09-29-08 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-29-08, 11:20 AM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some great responses above.

My dealer (only one choice in my area) actually refunds it if you don't use it...otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten the extended warranty on my car. If a repair comes up, I supposedly have the option to use my warranty or pay out of pocket as well, so I like that. So if a $100 repair comes along, I can choose to just pay it and keep my warranty refund intact.

I did get it on my truck back in '99, and it really didn't do me much good as everything broke after it expired LOL. That's kind of why I was leaning no extended warranty on the Lexus.
Old 09-29-08, 12:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kickin8
I would say no.....most of the stuff that broke easily are not covered....

btw, when you file a claim from extended warranty, sometime they are asking for the full maintenance record from the dealer.......

You're not required to ever take it to the dealer for maintenance of course. And I'd laugh at a dealership that wanted proof of oil changes to warranty my sunroof switch.

Now, if it's a failure that they could try to directly blame on lack of maintenance, you should have records for wherever you DO go (or receipts from the oil you bought to do it yourself). But really apart from regular oil changes and the occasional brake fluid and filter changes, there's not much maintenance required on these cars even on the factory schedule.

But honestly, if you know the law (ie what they can and can't deny for) it's not likely to be a real issue.

Quick Reply: extended warranty, yes or no?