Broken Recirc/Fresh Button-or-How to get behind the glovebox

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 08:22 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Broken Recirc/Fresh Button-or-How to get behind the glovebox

Greetings everyone,

This is my first post. I've tried to search and see if anyone has had the same problem I am. I've noticed on my '06 IS350 non-Nav non-ML that my recirculate mode never actually works. The electronics/lights/buttons all work and the servo in the dash tries to lift the plastic duct on top of the cabin air filter. However, the duct doesn't move. If I lift the duct it clicks into the correct place and will close again if I select fresh. It will open again to go back to recirculate mode but if I bump it slightly with my hand or if I go for a drive, it falls back down to fresh, regardless of the button selection.

I think that the linkage between the servo and the duct is worn out or completely broken.

So, my questions are:

1:Any one have this same problem?
2:How do I get to the servo that operates the duct?
3:Can I just go up from underneath or is the knee airbag in the way?
4:Would I be able to get there if I take out the center section when I install my iPod adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, my car is out of warranty so dealer is a no go.
Old 10-02-08, 01:50 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

did you change the cabin filter without putting it in recirculate mode?
Old 10-02-08, 01:54 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car isn't under warranty anymore.
Old 10-02-08, 03:35 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sinister2c
did you change the cabin filter without putting it in recirculate mode?
Nope. I made sure it was in recirc and the duct was lifted up out of the way when I did that.
Old 10-03-08, 02:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

You can see the actuator and the bell crank if you remove pretty much everything from the glove box down. It sounds like someone changed the cabin air filter and didn't put it in recirc mode so the shaft is broken, but that may not be the issue. The servo itself is on the left side of the blower housing. The first thing I would check is the integrity of the shaft. If you hold the bellcrank with your hand, you should not be able to move the door. If you can move the door, then the shaft is damaged or broken.

There is a small possibility the servo is not snapped into the bellcrank. This will be obvious when yo remove the glove box and the knee airbag. BTW, I don't recommend unplugging the airbag if you can work around it. Whatever you do, don't turn on the car with the airbag unplugged. It will seriously **** off the airbag computer.
Old 10-03-08, 02:11 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Thank you so much!!! Do you know of any instructions or DIY's online that could help me with the puzzle of pulling off the panel(s) or is it pretty straight forward?

All the screws and bolts seem hidden so do I just pull the bottom panel down and then start unscrewing stuff?
Old 10-03-08, 02:53 PM
Nothnghead
Pit Crew

Nevermind. I was able to figure it out easily enough. It turns out the post on the servo arm had fallen out of the track on the duct arm. A little persuasion and it's back in place and functioning great. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-07-09, 12:48 PM
tinytim1
Driver School Candidate

Default Remove glove box in IS250 IS350 instructions

If you're like me you've searched high and low to find instructions on how to remove the glove box assembly to replace or repair the cabin filter box. Here is a link to a PDF with instructions for removal in it.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/import/pdf/IS_SIRI.pdf
Old 04-11-10, 07:21 AM
domnf15
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an older thread but I made the mistake of "forcing" the recirculation door open, so now it doesn't open/close as normal. I'm going to venture a guess that the problem is that the hinge or "servo arm", as Nothnghead mentioned, has been moved out of place. I'm hoping the servo itself isn't broken.

@Nothnghead - approx. how long did the disassembly take? If it's not a case of something needs to be put back in the proper track, I can see myself needing to disassemble, diagnose, reassemble so the car is drivable, then disassemble again once I get a new part to replace the broken one.

@tinytim1 - thanks for the diagram, it's helpful to know where to start and what needs to be taken apart
Old 02-14-11, 11:28 AM
mslugx
Driver School Candidate

does anybody still have the diagram? The link is broken. I didn't know it needs to be set in recirculating mode, and now i have to fix it. But i had this same issue, the duct doesn't stay on, it will close if somehow i bump the car. Have you guys ever experience something like that? Does that mean my servo is not broken?
Old 02-14-11, 01:40 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hate to tell you this but forcing the door to the cabin air filter b/c you weren't in recirc mode causes major damage that a dealer will charge you thousands to fix. I read about it in another post on here. I think the link was in the DIY section. Tried to find it to link but couldn't.

ok found something but not the actual one I was thinking of. The actuator part is $850 but prob hit $1000 with labour...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hese-work.html

Last edited by embolism; 02-14-11 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-14-11, 01:49 PM
Touge
Pole Position

Mine was broken too, but I was able to repair it myself. Took some epoxy and a screw/nut to re-attach the link to the plastic. Works fine now
Old 02-17-11, 10:09 AM
mslugx
Driver School Candidate

@embolism I realized that after I found out this problem. In the DIY, it never mention I need to put it in recirculation mode, that's why I mess it up. If it's broken would it still operate normally? or would it just die, and the door never open again?

@Touge can you tell me what instruction you followed or you kind of did it free style? what do i need to do to make it work again ? I hate to have air blowing in my face all the time.

Last edited by mslugx; 02-17-11 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 11:15 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mslugx
@embolism I realized that after I found out this problem. In the DIY, it never mention I need to put it in recirculation mode, that's why I mess it up. If it's broken would it still operate normally? or would it just die, and the door never open again?

@Touge can you tell me what instruction you followed or you kind of did it free style? what do i need to do to make it work again ? I hate to have air blowing in my face all the time.
it won't work normally once the door is broken. I think you will lose the ability to switch circulation modes. Not sure what the default is. Maybe the part can be fixed provided you can find the piece that broke and glue it back on. That's what it sounds like the previous poster did...
Old 02-17-11, 12:05 PM
mslugx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by embolism
it won't work normally once the door is broken. I think you will lose the ability to switch circulation modes. Not sure what the default is. Maybe the part can be fixed provided you can find the piece that broke and glue it back on. That's what it sounds like the previous poster did...
How do I know if the door is broken? Would it just stay closed ? cause mine can open, but with the slightest bump or rattle, the door to close, it feels like something is not latched properly.

Quick Reply: Broken Recirc/Fresh Button-or-How to get behind the glovebox