IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Low Tire Pressure light issue driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 11:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Low Tire Pressure light issue driving me nuts

So all week long in L.A. it was nearly 100. Then yesterday night it dropped 30 degrees and my warning light came on for tire pressure. Stopped at the station and checked for nails.... nothing. Then checked all pressure. Three tires were at 31 and one front was at 28. I put air in the low one and got it up to 31. The light is still on. I played with the settings on the dash today, as per someone's earlier recommendation in a post, and no luck. Now it's gone from "low pressure" to "system check" back to "low pressure." Three different lights are lit on the dash. From all the research I've done, it sounds like the quick difference in temps caused an expansion/contraction issue that fooled the system. Is there any way to cycle through the computer and get it off? Or could it just be a bum sensor? I can't make it to a dealer for a week and would like to tinker with it if I can. The owner's manual doesn't say much about resetting things. Any help would be appreciated. (BTW, I did a search already, and followed the steps given to no avail).
Old 10-04-08, 11:56 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres soemting in the owenrs manual about initializing the TPMS system, basically you set the pressure in the tires to what you want it to be at, then u go press the buttons in the order that the manual specifies and after that it will sense for pressure lower than what you set it to. sorry i am too tired right now to go look exactly what the steps are, but i believe you press the button down by the dimmer switch to cycle through the menu till you get to the TPMS then u hit initialize or something
Old 10-05-08, 12:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Eddiebx
theres soemting in the owenrs manual about initializing the TPMS system, basically you set the pressure in the tires to what you want it to be at, then u go press the buttons in the order that the manual specifies and after that it will sense for pressure lower than what you set it to. sorry i am too tired right now to go look exactly what the steps are, but i believe you press the button down by the dimmer switch to cycle through the menu till you get to the TPMS then u hit initialize or something
Thanks! I kind of tried that today, but maybe I missed a prompt. I'll break out the manual tomorrow and see if there was a section I missed. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 10-05-08, 12:41 AM
aznboi27
Pole Position

First off, get your tires pressure up to speed.. then if they still come up, then press the start button on your car (not turning it on, just battery), and then press the "initial" button and hold it when it shows the tire pressure. After you hold it for a little bit, it should prompt for a reset. I think this is how you do it. Let me know if it worked.
Old 10-05-08, 01:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aznboi27
First off, get your tires pressure up to speed.. then if they still come up, then press the start button on your car (not turning it on, just battery), and then press the "initial" button and hold it when it shows the tire pressure. After you hold it for a little bit, it should prompt for a reset. I think this is how you do it. Let me know if it worked.
The "Initial" button is the button to the left of the steering column, right? The one that sets the tach and speedo?
Old 10-05-08, 08:09 AM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So all week long in L.A. it was nearly 100. Then yesterday night it dropped 30 degrees and my warning light came on for tire pressure. Stopped at the station and checked for nails.... nothing. Then checked all pressure. Three tires were at 31 and one front was at 28. I put air in the low one and got it up to 31. The light is still on. I played with the settings on the dash today, as per someone's earlier recommendation in a post, and no luck. Now it's gone from "low pressure" to "system check" back to "low pressure." Three different lights are lit on the dash. From all the research I've done, it sounds like the quick difference in temps caused an expansion/contraction issue that fooled the system. Is there any way to cycle through the computer and get it off? Or could it just be a bum sensor? I can't make it to a dealer for a week and would like to tinker with it if I can. The owner's manual doesn't say much about resetting things. Any help would be appreciated. (BTW, I did a search already, and followed the steps given to no avail).

Check the spare tire's psi. My Pop's Tacoma had the same issue and the dealer told him if the spare tire has low psi, then the tpms light will be triggered as well. That worked for him and should be the fix if your other 4 tires are fine.
Old 10-05-08, 08:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when my low pressure light came on due to a drop in temp, I filled up the tires to the door jam specs and it always went away, never had to do anything else
Old 10-05-08, 09:03 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when my low pressure light came on due to a drop in temp, I filled up the tires to the door jam specs and it always went away, never had to do anything else
Yeah, manufacturer specs can't be that low. 31 is way too low. It should be at least 34 but these performance tire we use these days can handle 44-45 psi easy. I usually run 36-38 when I want softer ride and 40 when I want harder ride. 31 psi will burn up your tires more quickly and reduce milage per gallon of gas.
Old 10-05-08, 09:48 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

sounds like a bad sensor if its reading "check system"
Old 10-05-08, 09:52 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Three tires were at 31 and one front was at 28. I put air in the low one and got it up to 31.
Why are you running 31 psi? The door jam sticker says 35 front, 37 rear.

From all the research I've done, it sounds like the quick difference in temps caused an expansion/contraction issue that fooled the system.
Doesn't fool the system, the PSI legitimately drops with the temperature. If you set and maintain the cold inflation pressure to the values on your door jam, the light should go out and you shouldn't have any further issues.
Old 10-05-08, 10:09 AM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree what Bichon said.. Why r u running 31 PSI? I prefer pump up to 36PSI all around and the light will turn off.. Also the weather will make the tire PSI change up and down... Just pump more air all around and see what will happen..

Last edited by VIS250P; 10-05-08 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-05-08, 10:29 AM
aznboi27
Pole Position

Yes the initial button is the one next to the wheel, it looks like:

<O> <--- and the O is the initial button.

I agree with whatever these guys are saying up here when they say that you should have a higher tire pressure all around. Do you have stockys on your car or are you running some aftermarket? If your running the stocks wheels and tires, then fill up your front to 35psi and rear to 37psi.
Old 10-05-08, 10:40 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm.. I had the same problem with my G35, and if its making a clicking sound while your driving its bad sensor and should be replace. If its not that, its probabaly like the guys says, its your tire pressure.. HOpe it helps.. But I would suggest you to take it back to the dealership cause its still under warranty.
Old 10-05-08, 11:06 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Come on guys! This makes us look bad as enthusiasts.
Old 10-05-08, 01:25 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TPMS will activate a warning light when the PSI drops by 3 pounds per square inch from the initial setting. Rapid temp drops will subsequently cause this as the air molecules within the tire constrict along with the ambient temp. Furthermore, the potential for the bead to leak a bit occurs.

Quick Reply: Low Tire Pressure light issue driving me nuts