IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML- have it, love it? don't have it -wish you did?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 05:47 AM
benjdow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML- have it, love it? don't have it -wish you did?

I’m in the market for an IS350, or will be when I save up a few more pennies. It’s time to upgrade to something a little more “mature” than my RSX-S. I want a decent used one. I definitely want NAV, but I’m not sure if ML is a necessity. The other day I got a chance to listen to a ML system in a ISF and was thoroughly impressed, although I haven’t heard the standard system. For those of you who have ML –do you love it? And for those of you that don’t –do you wish you had it?
Old 10-09-08, 06:03 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

**Stops kicking himself**

Put me down as someone that does not have ML, but wishes he did.

The stock system is one of the nicer ones, but if your not the type to mod your stereo system and really enjoy your music definitely get the ML, you will not regret it.

**Begins kicking himself again**
Old 10-09-08, 06:08 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

I have ML and it's one of the best OEM systems out there IMO, but the offerings from Audi [B&O] and the Jaguar XF's [B&W] are awesome as well. I’d like to see Lexus offers a "reference" version of ML in the 4 Gen IS, like in the LS - that system is incredible.
Old 10-09-08, 06:15 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^LOL you should like it, its your SN! anyways I have it and love it! Thank god I got it...
Old 10-09-08, 06:21 AM
suorum
Pole Position

It depends on how fine your ear is. ML is well known to be CRAP (if u are a conoceur of audio you should agree) but for the ones that are not into SQ is (of course) better than the standard system. I mean they are not gonna charge you extra $700 for nothing.
I declined ML on my IS for the simple reason that I do not think is a "good" audio system, it is just a monkey under a queen's dress....
Old 10-09-08, 06:41 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't have ML and i think it's fine... i only wanted it because of the DVD player... my brother has ML in his GS and it sounds "okay" nothing special
Old 10-09-08, 06:43 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Originally Posted by suorum
It depends on how fine your ear is. ML is well known to be CRAP (if u are a conoceur of audio you should agree) but for the ones that are not into SQ is (of course) better than the standard system. I mean they are not gonna charge you extra $700 for nothing.
I declined ML on my IS for the simple reason that I do not think is a "good" audio system, it is just a monkey under a queen's dress....
It's not just about the sound quality...The fact that you can play dvd's and have dolby surround sound without having to put an external player...That's why I love the ML...It's an all in one machine...
Old 10-09-08, 06:52 AM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Although I'm no audio/stereo nerdy by any mean, however I truly believe that the ML is - if not - one of the best OEM Stereo System out there including/comparing with these following automakers Infinity, Nissan, BMW and Benz. You wont be able to find anything that sounds this good for $700 and gives you an OEM look- no modification is required. Having said that, I'm sure you could find a better AFTERMARKET auto stereo system out there if you're willing to spend $$$$- your pocket is the limit. Bottom line is that I'm extremely happy that I bought my with it. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-09-08, 07:07 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

I have it and I like it
Old 10-09-08, 07:12 AM
go blue 99
Rookie

Yep I wish I had it. But it was impossible to find alongside the other options we were looking for, and we didn't want to wait for a special order simply for that.

Honestly I don't find the stock system to be very impressive..to me it sounds very similar to the stock 6-speaker system in our other car (a Mazda 3).
Old 10-09-08, 07:13 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

The ML system is very very good. Just remember that a lot of the DVD/NAV functions are disabled while the vehicle is in motion. The Acura systems are more user friendly while the vehicle is being driven.

Of couse, there are quite a few ways to get around the Lexus limitations. Just and FYI.

Regards,
Old 10-09-08, 07:18 AM
DaWhole9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have it...Love it....It would take alot of money to do better....and I AM an audio snob....
Old 10-09-08, 07:21 AM
NOVAGFC350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by go blue 99
Yep I wish I had it. But it was impossible to find alongside the other options we were looking for, and we didn't want to wait for a special order simply for that.

Honestly I don't find the stock system to be very impressive..to me it sounds very similar to the stock 6-speaker system in our other car (a Mazda 3).
I'll bet you a difference. I would't say that the Mazda's (Bose?) system is in the same leauge as the ML. However this is just my opinion .

Last edited by NOVAGFC350; 10-09-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-09-08, 07:40 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get it thinking I was going to upgrade and go aftermarket anyways... I wish I got it now tho.

Last edited by venZon; 10-09-08 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-09-08, 07:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I special ordered explicitly to get ML (without nav even)

When I drive a loaner now I have to turn it to NPR because it's painful to listen to music on the stock system.

My previous car had a many thousands-of-dollars Alpine and JL audio system in it... the factory ML system while not -quite- as good as that is probably 90% of it, for a ton less cost.

Especially given what a pain in the rear installing a custom system is in this car it was a no brainer to get the ML.

Quick Reply: ML- have it, love it? don't have it -wish you did?