IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Quick question for Northwest Owners??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 08:26 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question for Northwest Owners??

I live in Kent WA and just wanted to know if its legal to drive with front license plate off?? I saw some pics with an IS with front plate off and it looks nicer.
Old 10-09-08, 08:32 PM
dotkong
Pole Position

dont think driving with it off is legal anywhere but most cops unless there having a bad day dont mind and i know its not legal in washington searched it up for you i mean it it was legal there wouldnt be this petition "Removal of the Washington State Front License Plate Requirement"
http://www.petitiononline.com/wafrtplt/
but you can always do it and hope for the best and also sign that maybe the law will get repealed? good luck
Old 10-09-08, 08:40 PM
Freshkids
Driver School Candidate

Default i live in Kent

My wife got pulled over by WSP near Renton. Kent police might pull you over, if they just want to mess with you. So I put my plate back on. Btw, my wife did get a ticket.
Old 10-09-08, 08:46 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

shoot that sucks!!
Old 10-09-08, 08:53 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

I just keep mine in my car and tell the police when I get pulled over that I never got a chance to put it on yet. And I was planning on doing it tomorrow. lol. I got away from 2 tickets from doing that. Also you have an option to put it in your windshield, i believe that you just to have it visible in the front, no matter where it is.
Old 10-09-08, 08:57 PM
dotkong
Pole Position

yeah alot of us do that in texas everyone i roll with does that maybe they're less strict here in texas? but the law does state “The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times.” so i guess its how the officer interprets this
Old 10-09-08, 11:09 PM
is2seattle
Lead Lap

i am pretty sure it is illegal in Washington i wish i could do that
Old 10-10-08, 12:35 PM
binh
Rookie

yeah u need a front plate in washington. i didn't have one on my 1st gen IS and never got pulled over for it but that's in bellevue. if u sometimes drive intoxicated, don't give them a reason to pull u over.
Old 10-10-08, 01:06 PM
albert_23
Pole Position

it's not legal. but i heard that police in renton is pretty picky bout front license plate and they'll stop u for that. i dont have my front license plate on and never have any problems. but i usually drive it around seattle area.
Old 10-10-08, 01:21 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

When you get your registration and tabs, it says on the paperwork to put the tab on the back plate and that the front plate is still required.
I have not had front plates on any of my cars since 1969 and have not been pulled over for that. Speeding? Yes, racing for a sec, Yes, but not for plate.
I just sent in money to AeroTect to get their bumper plugs to cover the holes in the front bumper of my '08 IS350..
If you dont drive to attract attention, interpret that how you may, you wont get it from the police. They are all over Bellevue, giving tickets with radar guns, and I see them and they see me and never bust me. Ok, going to knock on some wood for awhile.. DanF
Old 10-10-08, 01:25 PM
LIS350A
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznboi27
I just keep mine in my car and tell the police when I get pulled over that I never got a chance to put it on yet. And I was planning on doing it tomorrow. lol. I got away from 2 tickets from doing that. Also you have an option to put it in your windshield, i believe that you just to have it visible in the front, no matter where it is.
+1

I keep it within quick reach and toss it on the dash if I'm getting pulled over. I don't have the holes drilled so I just tell them I'm waiting for Lexus to get in a bracket and drill the holes.

Originally Posted by dotkong
dont think driving with it off is legal anywhere
I don't think it's the law in MI.
Old 10-10-08, 01:53 PM
Mark350
Driver

Originally Posted by LIS350A
+1

I keep it within quick reach and toss it on the dash if I'm getting pulled over. I don't have the holes drilled so I just tell them I'm waiting for Lexus to get in a bracket and drill the holes.

I don't think it's the law in MI.

In BC you get fined more money for having it displayed on your dash than if you don't have it on the car anywhere at all, go figure lol
Old 10-10-08, 10:59 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

damn! i wna do this too but i kno its illegal here in ny and the cops here are pretty strict, since its the city and all...
Old 10-10-08, 11:24 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

have had my car for a lil over 2yrs now and never had i gotten pulled over for no front license plate but had gotten 2 parking tickets with addition to those tickets a no front license plate ticket! WTF?!?! since when did parking meter maids start giving out no front license plate tickets? And its 25bucks! arent fix it tickets 10bucks?
Old 10-10-08, 11:38 PM
yodeixmall
Rookie

in the southeast u dont have to have one...I LOVE IT...

Quick Reply: Quick question for Northwest Owners??