IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F-Sport Springs Warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-08, 12:23 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport Springs Warranty??

Hey Guys, I just wanted to know if I bought the F-Sport springs on my own (ex ebay, etc) and installed them at a local shop, would my vehicle warranty be voided or do I HAVE to install them at the dealer?? I just finished calling the dealer and they told me $1k to just install the springs, thats ridiculous!! Please feel free to leave any helpful hints, Thanks
Old 10-10-08, 12:41 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F-Sport warranty
Old 10-10-08, 12:43 PM
andyboy
Lead Lap

$1k ????????????????!!!!!!!!!!! That's CRAZY talk there!
Old 10-10-08, 01:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-J
Hey Guys, I just wanted to know if I bought the F-Sport springs on my own (ex ebay, etc) and installed them at a local shop, would my vehicle warranty be voided or do I HAVE to install them at the dealer?? I just finished calling the dealer and they told me $1k to just install the springs, thats ridiculous!! Please feel free to leave any helpful hints, Thanks
If you don't mind me asking, what did your local shop charge for the installation?
Old 10-10-08, 02:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Despite what that link has to say, nothing on earth can void a new vehicle warranty in the US.

Now, if you put an aftermarket part on the car (ANY aftermarket part, even a Lexus one) and -that part- causes a failure, they aren't obligated to fix -that failure- for you. But the rest of the vehicle absolutely remains under warranty.

So the only things you "gain" from a dealer install on an F-sport part is two things:

The part itself picks up the remaining new vehicle warranty as far as how long that part is warrantied for.

If the part itself causes a problem, that problem is covered under warranty.
Old 10-10-08, 02:09 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

WOW 1K For install when i called a lexus dealer and they quoted me 750 which is still insane so i ended up going with a local shop (Group 5 Motorsports) and they did it much cheaper and work is just as good.
Old 10-10-08, 02:57 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

I had my F-sport springs and shocks installed by Lexus dealership for $600.00 to include alignment. The original price they tried to charge me was about 1200+ dollars, but I told them that a different dealership a hour away was doing it for 600.00 and they price matched it.

If you know how to install the springs yourself, I would recommend just doing them yourself and swapping them out with your stocks if you have any problems with your suspension. The springs you have currently have a 1 year warranty on them itself no matter what, but if you get them installed by lexus dealership, then that dealership (not all of them) that did the install are reliable if anything goes wrong.

Just to let you know, I tried to take my car to another dealership for them to take a look at it, and they would not honor the warranty on it because a different dealership install it. They made me take em back to the original one. So there are some ups and downs. Hopefully you won't be moving anywhere with your 2IS. Hope this helps!
Old 10-10-08, 04:09 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznboi27
I had my F-sport springs and shocks installed by Lexus dealership for $600.00 to include alignment. The original price they tried to charge me was about 1200+ dollars, but I told them that a different dealership a hour away was doing it for 600.00 and they price matched it.

If you know how to install the springs yourself, I would recommend just doing them yourself and swapping them out with your stocks if you have any problems with your suspension. The springs you have currently have a 1 year warranty on them itself no matter what, but if you get them installed by lexus dealership, then that dealership (not all of them) that did the install are reliable if anything goes wrong.

Just to let you know, I tried to take my car to another dealership for them to take a look at it, and they would not honor the warranty on it because a different dealership install it. They made me take em back to the original one. So there are some ups and downs. Hopefully you won't be moving anywhere with your 2IS. Hope this helps!
aznboi27, did you end up taking your car to the dealership to get the clunk noise checked? if so, what did they do? what did they say the problem waS?
thanks!
Old 10-10-08, 09:29 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

^^ Nah not yet. I haven't had the time. =). I will make a thread once I do though.
Old 10-11-08, 06:58 AM
slwone
Driver School Candidate

I called the dealership here in Houston and I got a quote for 900 for everything thats the springs bought threw them install and the alignment included..
Old 10-11-08, 08:16 AM
IS-J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If you don't mind me asking, what did your local shop charge for the installation?
My g/f uncle has a mechanic shop with a lift and he said he would be able to install them for me basically for free, so yeah i guess im gonna go with him because the dealers are on some serious crack, i just didnt want to void my warranty.
Old 10-11-08, 08:18 AM
IS-J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Despite what that link has to say, nothing on earth can void a new vehicle warranty in the US.

Now, if you put an aftermarket part on the car (ANY aftermarket part, even a Lexus one) and -that part- causes a failure, they aren't obligated to fix -that failure- for you. But the rest of the vehicle absolutely remains under warranty.

So the only things you "gain" from a dealer install on an F-sport part is two things:

The part itself picks up the remaining new vehicle warranty as far as how long that part is warrantied for.

If the part itself causes a problem, that problem is covered under warranty.

Well thats good to know, thanks buddy
Old 10-11-08, 01:16 PM
endy
Driver School Candidate

yeah.. stealership over charges everything...
Old 10-11-08, 03:42 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by endy
yeah.. stealership over charges everything...
+1 on that! veryy true
Old 10-11-08, 07:24 PM
MY2J
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznboi27
that is great info! i was actually debating having the dealer install mine but all that extra money is not worth the lousy "warranty"