IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 10:46 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely don't go with the lowest bidder. It takes experience and a bit of time to do it right, and if it's not done right, you will regret it.

Get it done right. Most dealerships charge about $600, which is pretty competitive with other shops.

You won't regret doing it, it really helps keep everything looking tip-top.
Old 10-24-08, 10:49 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 773 Likes on 541 Posts

Most dealerships subcontract out to other places. Plus the people they get to do it aren't necessarily better than the independent shops. Mine was about $600 but I got another 6inches of hood coverage + red outs + nav screen cover.
Old 10-24-08, 11:53 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
Most dealerships subcontract out to other places. Plus the people they get to do it aren't necessarily better than the independent shops. Mine was about $600 but I got another 6inches of hood coverage + red outs + nav screen cover.
In Texas, which I believe the OP is from, there are a lot fewer custom shops and dealerships. Most dealerships have a guy on-site to do it. And if it's the same price, I'd rather have a dealership standing behind it.
Old 10-24-08, 12:10 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aznboi27
1) Is it really worth getting a clear bra done?
2) If you guys don't mind, how much did you guys pay for yours to be done?
3) What part of the car did you apply it to (bumper, hood, fender, mirrors, etc...)?

Thanks.
1) If you like your paint job, yes.
2) $650 for the precut kit + $350 for the whole hood
3) Mirrors, 1/3 hood (we paid for full hood), partial front fenders, front bumper, fog/headlights - the shop said they could custom cut and clear bra as much of the car we wanted

Originally Posted by Kintoun
I talked to a tint shop today who was talking me out of getting a clear bra. Here are his following reasons:
1) 4mm thick line is visible from a short distance.
2) Over time UV will fade the paint, but not the paint under the clear bra.
3) A repaint of the front bumper costs 200. You would have to do this 3 times to pay for the clear bra. Rest of the components rarely get damaged.
4) Price is still too high.

Anyone care to address these?
1) This is true and on some colors its more apparent that others
2) As someone else mentioned, to my knowledge clear bra does not have UV protection so it will have the same amount of exposure to sunlight as the rest of the car
3) $200 repaint will probably look like crap. On my g/f's black G35 coupe, we passed on clear bra and the majority of the rock chips were actually on the hood and NOT the bumper. Best price to repaint the hood, from a good paint shop was $500
4) That is subjective
Old 10-24-08, 02:34 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

I talked to a tint shop today who was talking me out of getting a clear bra. Here are his following reasons:
3) A repaint of the front bumper costs 200. You would have to do this 3 times to pay for the clear bra. Rest of the components rarely get damaged.

1) If you're looking for a line, you'll find it. But I've seen plenty of cars where you'd have no idea there was clear bra on it.
2) Not from what I've seen
3) $200?! I would be suspicious if I was quoted this price. Lexus charges about $900 to repaint the bumper - I've been quoted $650-$750 in my area.
4) $600-$700 is what you'll find in most places.
Old 10-24-08, 02:49 PM
Kintoun
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys! I base my purchase of things that "save me money in the future" if it pays for itself after 1 to 1.5 uses. Based on the quotes you guys are giving me for a paint job it sounds like a $600 clear bra is worth it. The only thing left is for me to see what the line looks like on a black car.

What pieces should I get covered (IS 350)? I was going to go bumper, 1/3 hood, headlights, side mirrors. However I don't think I need mirrors and headlights. Should I get side panels covered? Should I get full hood done?
Old 10-24-08, 03:30 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies guys! I base my purchase of things that "save me money in the future" if it pays for itself after 1 to 1.5 uses. Based on the quotes you guys are giving me for a paint job it sounds like a $600 clear bra is worth it. The only thing left is for me to see what the line looks like on a black car.

What pieces should I get covered (IS 350)? I was going to go bumper, 1/3 hood, headlights, side mirrors. However I don't think I need mirrors and headlights. Should I get side panels covered? Should I get full hood done?
I think they are sold are kits or have kit prices so you'll get the mirrors, 1/3 hood, fenders, front bumper and lights included in that price.

If you have a black car I'd not even thing twice about it. If the car is kept fairly clean you'll hardly notice it unless you really look for it. VentureShield, the type my gf got, is supposedly the least noticeable so may want to look for that product. For what its worth, I would recommend the full hood if you dont mind pay extra for it. On the G35 Coupe, a LOT of the rock chips were above where the clear bra would cover. On the IS the only "scratch" on the clear bra is also well above where 1/3 would stop.
Old 10-28-08, 09:40 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I think they are sold are kits or have kit prices so you'll get the mirrors, 1/3 hood, fenders, front bumper and lights included in that price.

If you have a black car I'd not even thing twice about it. If the car is kept fairly clean you'll hardly notice it unless you really look for it. VentureShield, the type my gf got, is supposedly the least noticeable so may want to look for that product. For what its worth, I would recommend the full hood if you dont mind pay extra for it. On the G35 Coupe, a LOT of the rock chips were above where the clear bra would cover. On the IS the only "scratch" on the clear bra is also well above where 1/3 would stop.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too... I have a Black GS and I am not sure how the clear bra would look on a black car.

Does anybody know a good place that can install clear bras around Dallas?
Old 10-28-08, 04:14 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

However I don't think I need mirrors and headlights.
Get the mirrors and headlights done. You'd be surprised how dinged up those will get after a couple years!
Old 10-28-08, 04:25 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

are you in SA or ATX? I got mine done in SA for 500ish...certified 3M installer. go to the 3M website and get quotes from all of them except this installer 210-924-3603 let him know you called all of them and he'll more than likely beat their price. The trick is there is not a set price, you can bargain. I got 1/3 hood, fender, mirror, and the bumper package. Let him know you were referred from his previous customer that drives a silver IS350 (installed on 4/30/07) LMK if you have any more questions or would like to check out the actual finishing.
Old 10-28-08, 04:34 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

I got front bumper and full hood. Paid $900.
Old 11-07-08, 10:43 AM
ott1
Driver School Candidate

My installer is also putting clear bra on the A-pillar. I think most people don't even know about getting rock chips there.

Last edited by ott1; 11-07-08 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-07-08, 01:32 PM
chrisgo17
Driver School Candidate

We have a black 09 IS250 and purchased the clearbra for $750.00 and love it. You can not see the clearbra unless you are standing right in front of the car and looking for it. I say its worth it especially for a black car.
Old 11-07-08, 01:58 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

what color would it be the least noticable on?
is the bra kinda like the plastic material you can get for ipods and cell phones?
i would think it would be worth the extra money to get the whole hood done, so you cant even see the seams..

any pics out there?
if anyone has a clear bra, please post several pics, close ups, and all..
Old 11-07-08, 02:10 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure..............

1.) 4mm line is no big deal, especially when you realize the reason it's there.

2.) I haven't heard about this, and don't really think it is that big an issue.
For your paint to fade enough to notice a difference would probably take
many, many years to occur.

3.) I've never heard of a good paint job costing $200 for a front bumper.
Of course you should add the cost of repainting the hood too, and the
2-4 weeks it will take to paint. Now add the cost of a rental car, and
the total cost would start to approach $1000+ easily. Not to mention
the time and hassle to drop off and pick up rental car, your car, etc.

4.) So, after taking into account everything mentioned above, is the price of
$700 clear bra (that's what I paid) too high? I don't think it is.

Now when you realize that your paint never shows rock chips, and looks virtually brand new every day, the real benefit makes the cost well worth it!

Quick Reply: Clear Bra?