IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

5mm Ichiba spacer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 04:26 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 5mm Ichiba spacer question

So after staring several times at my rear wheels (+45 offset), I'm not happy with how it hides too much and I want it to come out more. I'm thinking of 5mm spacer. I have no knowledge at all about this spacer thing. But after reading couple threads in this forum, I think I need 5mm, hubcentric spacer, Ichiba makes it, and probably the best? and to be safe, use the longer studs provided by ichiba. How to replace stock studs with longer ones?

I found this and I'm not sure whether this is the correct one for our car:

http://www.ichibausa.com/5mmalwhsp7.html

Can anyone give me some advice and inputs please?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-25-08, 04:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO change the studs since it comes with them and play it safe.

I suggest you hit up JavyLSU...there is a guy, I think his name is Bob?, that will make you a custom spacer. I would push it more then 5mm, if you got +38 it will be perfect IMO. I know he will make them hub centric also as I spoke to the guy in the past thanks to Javy

G/L
Old 10-25-08, 05:07 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why H&R spacers don't come with studs. I've been told that 5mm doesn't even need extended studs
Old 10-25-08, 06:36 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
IMO change the studs since it comes with them and play it safe.

I suggest you hit up JavyLSU...there is a guy, I think his name is Bob?, that will make you a custom spacer. I would push it more then 5mm, if you got +38 it will be perfect IMO. I know he will make them hub centric also as I spoke to the guy in the past thanks to Javy

G/L
I know who you are referring to. His name is Fred, he made custom spaces and adapters. i just sent an email to him, and 3 mins later he called me LOL. he said he made custom spacers. I was thinking of 7mm spacers, then that would make it +38, which I think is better than +40 ?

But he doesn't provide longer studs like Ichiba does..but instead he asked me to get ET lug nuts, and problem solved. Also he tends to charge on the expensive side..close to 3x more than ichiba
Old 10-25-08, 09:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
I know who you are referring to. His name is Fred, he made custom spaces and adapters. i just sent an email to him, and 3 mins later he called me LOL. he said he made custom spacers. I was thinking of 7mm spacers, then that would make it +38, which I think is better than +40 ?

But he doesn't provide longer studs like Ichiba does..but instead he asked me to get ET lug nuts, and problem solved. Also he tends to charge on the expensive side..close to 3x more than ichiba
well you have 2 options and I think the 7mm is the way to go. Javy swore by his product and I trust his opinion. You can get longer studs from somewhere else. I did have the Ichibia type II bolt on and they where great but you have to get 15mm or more for those. Its up to you and the look you want. Both will work one is just going to make it more flush then the other. Its only 2mm so its not a huge difference. I would replace the studs for the 5mm and I believe the Ichibia ones come with longer studs. Play it safe if you ask me.
Old 10-25-08, 09:10 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I wonder why H&R spacers don't come with studs. I've been told that 5mm doesn't even need extended studs
I think most on here are not but IMO it wasnt safe. It all depends on the style lug you are using and the rims. With the Work rims I had and the 5mm spacer we barley got the lug to turn. I did run a 3mm at one point and didnt extend the lugs. Its all up to what you feel is safe. If you are spending that kind of money on your car why be cheap or lazy about replacing the studs
Old 10-25-08, 09:26 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

well you have 2 options and I think the 7mm is the way to go. Javy swore by his product and I trust his opinion. You can get longer studs from somewhere else. I did have the Ichibia type II bolt on and they where great but you have to get 15mm or more for those. Its up to you and the look you want. Both will work one is just going to make it more flush then the other. Its only 2mm so its not a huge difference. I would replace the studs for the 5mm and I believe the Ichibia ones come with longer studs. Play it safe if you ask me.
I think most on here are not but IMO it wasnt safe. It all depends on the style lug you are using and the rims. With the Work rims I had and the 5mm spacer we barley got the lug to turn. I did run a 3mm at one point and didnt extend the lugs. Its all up to what you feel is safe. If you are spending that kind of money on your car why be cheap or lazy about replacing the studs
passnu, thanks for your inputs and opinion. here is what I think:

since 5mm and 7mm are not that much of a difference, and the Ichiba one is way cheaper, and the fact it comes with longer studs, i'm going with this one.

and since the Ichiba comes with longer studs, I will put them on to play safe, just like you mentioned. I push my car hard sometimes and I don't want anything bad happen on the road.

Now the question: how to remove stock studs and put on the longer ones? Does this need to be done by a professional shop? Is it hard to switch back to stock later on?
Old 10-25-08, 09:30 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

passnu, thanks for your inputs and opinion. here is what I think:

since 5mm and 7mm are not that much of a difference, and the Ichiba one is way cheaper, and the fact it comes with longer studs, i'm going with this one.

and since the Ichiba comes with longer studs, I will put them on to play safe, just like you mentioned. I push my car hard sometimes and I don't want anything bad happen on the road.

Now the question: how to remove stock studs and put on the longer ones? Does this need to be done by a professional shop? Is it hard to switch back to stock later on?
You will be happy with the quality. You have to knock out the studs. I think there is a thread in the brake section for someone that just installed a BBK kit from another country. If I recall you can see what you need to remove and how to tap them out. Its not to bad but if you are not comfortable doing/working with brakes then get someone local to give you a hand.

Cant wait to see pics & your welcome
Old 10-25-08, 11:48 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

I see the Ichiba spacer, the center bore is 60.1 and my rim center bore is 73.. i dunno if those two should be the same?

again the link is here, and it says center bore: 60.1

is this the correct size for me?
Old 10-26-08, 12:04 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

That's why you get wheels with a almost perfect offset and not worry about being flush.
Old 10-26-08, 01:04 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

I see the Ichiba spacer, the center bore is 60.1 and my rim center bore is 73.. i dunno if those two should be the same?

again the link is here, and it says center bore: 60.1

is this the correct size for me?
I believe our center bore is 60.1. I did some research before cause I'm also in the market for spacers.

did you get hubcentric rings for your new wheels?

You didnt encounter any vibration ?

I would recommend getting the right bore size, or get a hub ring to match up to your 73 bore on the mmrs. Your wheels are attached to the vehicle by ur lugs, but most of the weight is on the bore, since our cars are hub centric. so basically the lugs just hold the wheel on the car.

Your car is currently riding on your studs, not the center bore, which should take most the weight .

I could be wrong but from previous searches and information found. Im pretty sure its better to get the correct bore size. saftey first.

I really recommend you get a HUB RING!!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong pls.

Last edited by iialcii; 10-26-08 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-26-08, 01:20 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I'll look into Ichiba's
Old 10-26-08, 02:01 AM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iialcii
I believe our center bore is 60.1. I did some research before cause I'm also in the market for spacers.

did you get hubcentric rings for your new wheels?

You didnt encounter any vibration ?

I would recommend getting the right bore size, or get a hub ring to match up to your 73 bore on the mmrs. Your wheels are attached to the vehicle by ur lugs, but most of the weight is on the bore, since our cars are hub centric. so basically the lugs just hold the wheel on the car.

Your car is currently riding on your studs, not the center bore, which should take most the weight .

I could be wrong but from previous searches and information found. Im pretty sure its better to get the correct bore size. saftey first.

I really recommend you get a HUB RING!!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong pls.
I got hubcentric rings for my wheels, and no vibration whatsoever.

so you are saying, if I get Ichiba spacer 60.1 bore, I would certainly need to keep my hub rings right?

i dont think Ichiba makes spacers with 73 bore size..

Last edited by tfz_hebe89; 10-26-08 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-26-08, 03:18 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

so you are saying, if I get Ichiba spacer 60.1 bore, I would certainly need to keep my hub rings right?

ya you will need to keep your hub rings if u get the ichiha 60.1 bore . There is a thread like mike mentioned on how to change your extended studs, I remember reading over it, but it was for only front studs. Good luck

I'll get mine after I change my tire set up.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 10-26-08, 07:15 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

yes you will still use them, what you see with the 60.1 is correct Your rims are just not made specific to your bore size. You wont have any vibration if you use the hub rings.

Quick Reply: 5mm Ichiba spacer question