IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

so what happened to remote start??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 03:33 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chad2
funny that the above bolded red sentence (originally written by you, but highlighted by me) is also exactly what I think of your message... lol

who ever said that a starter is not a "luxury"??? just like driving a "Lexus"!!!
Lexus already has it for other models, so it is not unheard of like you make it sound...

and what about you driving a "Lexus"??? is that in the "American lifestyle" stereotype you mention!!! lol

you seriously need to "relax" buddy!!! (that is "chill" if you are in your 20s or younger) lol
Well, in point of fact, idling is bad for your engine and not the best way to warm it up, so maybe it is stupid in some sense?
Old 11-04-08, 08:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzSix
I can't believe you guys install remote starters on your cars. Not even that, but go out of your way for it. I wouldn't install one if they offered to do it for free, the starter and everything included.

It's just stupid IMO.

First of all, the whole point of it seems way excessive to me -- a token of the stereotyped "American lifestyle" if you want to call it that. Like you can't be inconvenienced to *gasp* start your car normally and be cold for 5 minutes so you're going to idle your car for 15 minutes so it's cushy and warm for you once you get it. It takes MUCH longer for your car to warm up when it's idling than if you had actually just driven it normally. It's bad for your car to idle for that long, and it's just a huge waste... not necessarily in the money you waste on gas, or the pollution you cause, but just... WHY? Because you can't fathom the thought of being cold for a few minutes until your car warms up in the winter?

Second of all, you're hacking up your car's electronics for this. And on top of that, it's not even good quality where everything works perfectly. You're going through a ton of stupid inconveniences and hacking up wires so that you don't have to be cold for 5 minutes in your car? Maybe I just like to keep things "clean" but I will just never understand this mentality...You don't want to get in a cold car, but all the inconvenience that the remote start causes are perfectly fine?

To the person who says they don't even use it but it's more for "show", I'm sorry and I don't mean to pick on your personally but this is almost worse than the people who use them and idling their cars all the time. Why would you put it in then? Bragging rights/show? So you paid a lot of money, hacked up your wiring while probably made it easier for a thief to steal the car, for nothing? So you can say "look I can be lazy and start my car from far away, lol"? Again, I don't mean to be rude but I just don't see the appeal in this. Why not upgrade your suspension or brakes or something..

Lastly, to the person saying leaving your car in neutral is fine.........no. It's not. You can do it all you want, I don't really care but it's a bad and unsafe practice. Again, I don't care if you do it -- in reality you'll probably be fine if it's a flat surface. But don't lie to yourself that it's good practice and perfectly fine to do this or "personal preference". It's simply bad practise, and anyone will tell you this. It's not bad for the tranny. Would you leave an automatic car in neutral with just the handbrake on? No? Well putting a manual car in gear while it's off is pretty much the exact same thing as putting an auto car into park. You're just lying to yourself if you believe otherwise. I would rather leave a car just in gear than with just the handbrake (but both is better of course).

And don't even get me started on remote starters on manual cars. On top of all the things I said about doing it in autos, the procedure I read to do it on manual is ridiculous. You're jumping through all those hoops when you turn it off just so you don't have to *GASP* get in your car and start it? How can you possibly be so lazy? And add on to the fact that you're doing something unsafe by leaving your car in neutral, and getting yourself used to this bad practice for the future..

Sorry if I offended, just wanted to throw my opinion out there. You can definitely do whatever you want to your cars, but I'm just sayin..

I'm not bitter, or angry at all at anyone here or about the subject in general, so don't take it that way. I am just throwing my thoughts out there, feel free to comment.

Posts like these just make me laugh! It did nothing to help out what the OP was looking for and the fact that you wasted that much time to write that makes me want to go get 2 of them installed One for Summer and the other for Winter...Why bother to post

on a side note: For those that are crazy like I am I did research on this kit and it does not require an additional key Its PNP (means no wires cut in case you change your mind BlitzSix) for you specific make/model/year
Old 11-04-08, 08:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
Well, in point of fact, idling is bad for your engine and not the best way to warm it up, so maybe it is stupid in some sense?
This is true but a few minutes is not going to hurt anything. I live where it gets cold enough that you dont just start the car and go! So I will let it run for a few minutes (when not parked in my garage at home) to get it started.

I will post more info for those that are interested and have been waiting for the past ~2 years for Lexus to come out with the OEM PNP kit. I will try to take pics while they install also if they will allow me back in the shop
Old 11-05-08, 02:06 AM
NYDesi80
Rookie

Alright back on topic, so you still have to carry the original key fob I would assume or no? And if you dont remote start your car, I'm assuming you can use ur original or your aftermarket remote to unlock the doors?

But however if you wanted to start the car yourself from the inside you need the OEM key fob in your posession.
Old 11-05-08, 11:24 AM
BlitzSix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by passnu2
Posts like these just make me laugh! It did nothing to help out what the OP was looking for and the fact that you wasted that much time to write that makes me want to go get 2 of them installed One for Summer and the other for Winter...Why bother to post

on a side note: For those that are crazy like I am I did research on this kit and it does not require an additional key Its PNP (means no wires cut in case you change your mind BlitzSix) for you specific make/model/year
Originally Posted by passnu2
This is true but a few minutes is not going to hurt anything. I live where it gets cold enough that you dont just start the car and go! So I will let it run for a few minutes (when not parked in my garage at home) to get it started.

I will post more info for those that are interested and have been waiting for the past ~2 years for Lexus to come out with the OEM PNP kit. I will try to take pics while they install also if they will allow me back in the shop
Was just bored didn't mean to throw the thread of track (well I guess I kind of did but yea).

If it can be accomplished with no cutting off wires and be 100% OEM plug and play that would definitely make a big difference in my opinion. As long as it works *100%* perfectly and you don't have ANY stupid annoyances that the other people posted due to having it installed. Instead of thinking it's extremely stupid I now just think it's pointless. But any one quirk that your remote control starter causes brings it back to the "stupid" category.

I mean, really... you say you use yours to idle it for 3 minutes when it's cold. Can you explain the point of that to me? Idling it for those 3 minutes accomplishes absolutely nothing. The car doesn't get a chance to warm up AT ALL in 3 minutes in extreme temperatures, so it's not warmer or anything when you get in the car. And it's not "better" for the car to have idled for those 3 minutes in any way, at all. Like I said it doesn't warm up that quickly, so the engine isn't really any warmer when you start driving it. What I just do is get in the car, start it, making yourself (put on your seatbelt, find a good song, adjust the climate control) let it run for like 30 seconds - 1 minute just so the oil has a chance to circulate everywhere, and start driving slowly, keeping the RPM low. Your extra two minutes of idling accomplishes nothing at all, it's not any better for the car. You're NOT putting any extra strain on the motor if you start driving it slowly and it shifts at 2000-2200 RPM than if you let it sit idling at 1500. I would love for you to prove me wrong, if you can back up with evidence that it's better for the car to sit for 3 minutes then I'm sold.

So really you're paying over 500$ just so you can say "look at me I can start my car remotely". I just don't see the appeal. But I wouldn't be "hating" so much if that was the only thing that I didn't like. But combine this with the hacked up wiring and tons of annoyances that you have to put up with (ESPECIALLY the manual car one, but the auto ones were pretty bad too), and I hope you can at least see my viewpoint of how stupid I think it is. Just not worth it.

I hate mods that aren't done right... it completely kills the point of something when by trying to make your car better you ruin the whole quality and fit and finish of it, like these quirks caused by remote starters.
Old 11-05-08, 11:38 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd never get remote start to warm the car up since, as noted, idling it for a while is bad, and the best way to warm it up is to drive it.

I probably WOULD get it if I lived in the southwest though.

A car that has been sitting in 110 degree sunlight for a few hours would be vastly nicer to get into if I could remote start it at the exit from the building and it had cooled down a bit with the AC blasting by the time I got to it. Even moreso if you combine with the remote sunroof/window feature the factory remote already supports to let the blazing hot air out.
Old 11-05-08, 12:27 PM
69Stang
Rookie

I will post more info for those that are interested and have been waiting for the past ~2 years for Lexus to come out with the OEM PNP kit. I will try to take pics while they install also if they will allow me back in the shop[/QUOTE]

Interested, more info please....
Old 11-05-08, 01:47 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed... Thinking about getting one for my 6MT
Old 11-05-08, 03:26 PM
dra5037
Rookie

i have an aftermarket remote start.
i've had a few issues, it wasn't exactly what i was looking for.
but it works fine; it starts the car remotely.
i would not recommend one though, unless lexus comes out with one.
Old 11-05-08, 08:00 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't believe you guys install remote starters on your cars. Not even that, but go out of your way for it. I wouldn't install one if they offered to do it for free, the starter and everything included.

It's just stupid IMO.

First of all, the whole point of it seems way excessive to me -- a token of the stereotyped "American lifestyle" if you want to call it that. Like you can't be inconvenienced to *gasp* start your car normally and be cold for 5 minutes so you're going to idle your car for 15 minutes so it's cushy and warm for you once you get it. It takes MUCH longer for your car to warm up when it's idling than if you had actually just driven it normally. It's bad for your car to idle for that long, and it's just a huge waste... not necessarily in the money you waste on gas, or the pollution you cause, but just... WHY? Because you can't fathom the thought of being cold for a few minutes until your car warms up in the winter?

Second of all, you're hacking up your car's electronics for this. And on top of that, it's not even good quality where everything works perfectly. You're going through a ton of stupid inconveniences and hacking up wires so that you don't have to be cold for 5 minutes in your car? Maybe I just like to keep things "clean" but I will just never understand this mentality...You don't want to get in a cold car, but all the inconvenience that the remote start causes are perfectly fine?

To the person who says they don't even use it but it's more for "show", I'm sorry and I don't mean to pick on your personally but this is almost worse than the people who use them and idling their cars all the time. Why would you put it in then? Bragging rights/show? So you paid a lot of money, hacked up your wiring while probably made it easier for a thief to steal the car, for nothing? So you can say "look I can be lazy and start my car from far away, lol"? Again, I don't mean to be rude but I just don't see the appeal in this. Why not upgrade your suspension or brakes or something..

Lastly, to the person saying leaving your car in neutral is fine.........no. It's not. You can do it all you want, I don't really care but it's a bad and unsafe practice. Again, I don't care if you do it -- in reality you'll probably be fine if it's a flat surface. But don't lie to yourself that it's good practice and perfectly fine to do this or "personal preference". It's simply bad practise, and anyone will tell you this. It's not bad for the tranny. Would you leave an automatic car in neutral with just the handbrake on? No? Well putting a manual car in gear while it's off is pretty much the exact same thing as putting an auto car into park. You're just lying to yourself if you believe otherwise. I would rather leave a car just in gear than with just the handbrake (but both is better of course).

And don't even get me started on remote starters on manual cars. On top of all the things I said about doing it in autos, the procedure I read to do it on manual is ridiculous. You're jumping through all those hoops when you turn it off just so you don't have to *GASP* get in your car and start it? How can you possibly be so lazy? And add on to the fact that you're doing something unsafe by leaving your car in neutral, and getting yourself used to this bad practice for the future..

Sorry if I offended, just wanted to throw my opinion out there. You can definitely do whatever you want to your cars, but I'm just sayin..

I'm not bitter, or angry at all at anyone here or about the subject in general, so don't take it that way. I am just throwing my thoughts out there, feel free to comment.
ok buddy you seriously need to chill...yes i am the person that has the manual, the neutral position when parked, and for 'show' remote start.

last time i checked, none of my actions will effect you in any way, shape, or form.
i dont tell you how to live your life or mold your lifestyle according to my standards. i sure dont judge you by who you are or prefer. so dont bash on someone's ideas just because you dont see fit...
Old 11-05-08, 08:45 PM
BlitzSix
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
ok buddy you seriously need to chill...yes i am the person that has the manual, the neutral position when parked, and for 'show' remote start.

last time i checked, none of my actions will effect you in any way, shape, or form.
i dont tell you how to live your life or mold your lifestyle according to my standards. i sure dont judge you by who you are or prefer. so dont bash on someone's ideas just because you dont see fit...
My apologies, again I don't mean to be a **** I just wanted to throw my opinion out there. Like I said you can do whatever you want to your car, and I have absolutely nothing against you or anything. I just disagree with the whole idea of it and am a tad opinionated. I really meant to post my thought on the issue though, not against you.

I'll shup up next time.. truce ?
Old 11-05-08, 08:58 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Was just bored didn't mean to throw the thread of track (well I guess I kind of did but yea).

If it can be accomplished with no cutting off wires and be 100% OEM plug and play that would definitely make a big difference in my opinion. As long as it works *100%* perfectly and you don't have ANY stupid annoyances that the other people posted due to having it installed. Instead of thinking it's extremely stupid I now just think it's pointless. But any one quirk that your remote control starter causes brings it back to the "stupid" category.

I mean, really... you say you use yours to idle it for 3 minutes when it's cold. Can you explain the point of that to me? Idling it for those 3 minutes accomplishes absolutely nothing. The car doesn't get a chance to warm up AT ALL in 3 minutes in extreme temperatures, so it's not warmer or anything when you get in the car. And it's not "better" for the car to have idled for those 3 minutes in any way, at all. Like I said it doesn't warm up that quickly, so the engine isn't really any warmer when you start driving it. What I just do is get in the car, start it, making yourself (put on your seatbelt, find a good song, adjust the climate control) let it run for like 30 seconds - 1 minute just so the oil has a chance to circulate everywhere, and start driving slowly, keeping the RPM low. Your extra two minutes of idling accomplishes nothing at all, it's not any better for the car. You're NOT putting any extra strain on the motor if you start driving it slowly and it shifts at 2000-2200 RPM than if you let it sit idling at 1500. I would love for you to prove me wrong, if you can back up with evidence that it's better for the car to sit for 3 minutes then I'm sold.

So really you're paying over 500$ just so you can say "look at me I can start my car remotely". I just don't see the appeal. But I wouldn't be "hating" so much if that was the only thing that I didn't like. But combine this with the hacked up wiring and tons of annoyances that you have to put up with (ESPECIALLY the manual car one, but the auto ones were pretty bad too), and I hope you can at least see my viewpoint of how stupid I think it is. Just not worth it.

I hate mods that aren't done right... it completely kills the point of something when by trying to make your car better you ruin the whole quality and fit and finish of it, like these quirks caused by remote starters.

I never said 3 minutes Its more like 5~10 minutes and the car shuts off after 15 minutes. Unless you have used then you will never know I have used with the exception of my last car and I am sorry it does make a difference. I live in a state that ~6 mos out of the year its cold. I work hard for my $$ and I can spend it how I want to Having a remote start is as stupid as wasting your money on a Lexus You can drive a car for much less so I guess if I need to have a remote start to show people I am "cool" then you must drive a Lexus so that people think highly of you...So practice what you preach I personally dont care why the others want to use this and its there decision. I know that I have kids and I like to have the car ready when I put them in the car. Its a Luxury that I can take advantage of just like driving a nice car You should honestly try it out to really voice your opinion

So either way whatever makes you happy. I know that I am moving forward with the process and its not 500$, at least that is not what my guy charges me, its quite a bit less
Old 11-06-08, 06:54 AM
Feirax
Driver

Nice passnu2. For the record there are remote starts way cheaper (1/2 as much) than the one I went with, but I wanted the 1-mile range with 2-way. If you got a similar one cheaper, then awesome!
Old 11-06-08, 06:59 AM
Feirax
Driver

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
Alright back on topic, so you still have to carry the original key fob I would assume or no? And if you dont remote start your car, I'm assuming you can use ur original or your aftermarket remote to unlock the doors?

But however if you wanted to start the car yourself from the inside you need the OEM key fob in your posession.
For my setup I still carry the original fob (which I could replace with the credit card key if it was an issue, but I don't mind it).

Yes, If you don't remote start, you can use your original fob, or remote start to unlock the doors.

If you want to start the car from inside using the start button, then you need original fob.
Old 11-08-08, 12:37 AM
NYDesi80
Rookie

passnu2 please post your results after your install, I'm very curious to and want to get this done as well. Also if you dont mind me asking how much are you paying?

Quick Reply: so what happened to remote start??