IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Stock Ballast Melted!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 04:08 PM
LEXMAN350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stock Ballast Melted!

I recently noticed my drivers side headlight kept turning off while the passenger side stays on. If I turn off the head lights and turn them back on the drivers side fires up again but continues to turn off after 10-15 min. I knew there was something wrong so I took out the HID bulb and found it was melted and it also melted my stock ballast. I put the stock bulbs back in and both fired up fine. The bulb I was using was a xenon depot 6k D4S HID. I also noticed the smoke from the bulb melting caused my driver side headlight housing to get all fogged up and its not clear anymore and has more of a foggy tint. What should I do? Do I need to replace the head light housing now? Should I take it to the lexus dealer? Do you think they will replace it under warranty if I leave the stock bulbs in there?

Here is a picture of the melted bulb. Has this happened to anyone before?

Old 10-31-08, 07:22 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

just put that light in the other housing so you can have fogged out lights. lol. best bet is to take it to the dealer with stock bulbs so they won't give u crap.
Old 10-31-08, 07:46 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Get Xenon Depot to pay for everything. This is my big problem with aftermarket HIDs. I always hear of bulbs flickering, going out, etc...
Old 10-31-08, 08:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Warranty fraud? Nice.

You modded it. Be a man, pay to fix it.

Bet money Xenon Depot says they warranty the bulb and nothing else. Incidental and consequential damages are never covered by the aftermarket. If they were, they'd be out of business the first time somebody blew an engine with their eBay "chip".
Old 10-31-08, 08:13 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aznboi27
best bet is to take it to the dealer with stock bulbs so they won't give u crap.
Not very honest imo.
Old 10-31-08, 08:18 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VikH
Get Xenon Depot to pay for everything. This is my big problem with aftermarket HIDs. I always hear of bulbs flickering, going out, etc...
I bought the ^k bulbs from Xenon Depot and my Passenger side flickers continuously. Its not noticeable to the naked eye, but its irritating as hell.
Old 10-31-08, 08:48 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

BAH! Dealerships are just bunch of crooks too anyway. They always overcharge you for everything that is a simple fix. Why not play the warranty game to save a little money.
Old 10-31-08, 09:11 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

question, since you've changed the bulbs have you ever added water into your windshield wiper squirter thingy?
Old 10-31-08, 09:51 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aznboi27
BAH! Dealerships are just bunch of crooks too anyway. They always overcharge you for everything that is a simple fix. Why not play the warranty game to save a little money.
Two wrongs do not make a right..why is integrity and honesty in America so much lower than almost anywhere else?.... Plus it is not required to take the car to the dealership for the simple repairs...
Old 10-31-08, 10:59 PM
Gus738
Driver

I definitely want to know what will be Xenon Depot respons to this as this is my MAIN fear that these aftermarket pos break on you!. So get xenon depot and see what they say! ..........

I dont even want to think if i were to buy their 225 PNP HID KIT only to find out that my entire wiring blows up for example and xenon depot doesnt do something...

granted im also speaking of a proper NO short cut instalation!

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Warranty fraud? Nice.

You modded it. Be a man, pay to fix it.

Bet money Xenon Depot says they warranty the bulb and nothing else. Incidental and consequential damages are never covered by the aftermarket. If they were, they'd be out of business the first time somebody blew an engine with their eBay "chip".
Old 11-01-08, 04:27 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive gone thru 3 sets of xenon depot HID bulbs.. they work fine for a few months and then one or the other side would do the same as stated above... i contacted xenon depot after the 1st incident and they were nice enough to send me another set.. but im done with xenon depot.. anyone have any good recommendations for aftermarket HID d4s bulbs?
Old 11-01-08, 06:09 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

LEXMAN350, that looks very bad. you said it also burnt your OEM ballast, do you have any pics of your OEM ballast? did you actually look at the ballast? where is the actual ballast located?
Old 11-01-08, 06:15 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Why would a vendor on CL sell a product for a car that doesn't work for the car? I would hope vendors on CL are different from vendors on eBay. Although, the majority of vendors don't respond to PMs and have lackluster service. The only vendor I trust on CL is Sewell. They have a dedicated team to their internet service, that is very efficient at running their business. They have returned every PM, email, and call I have EVER left them. Send a PM to Carson or another vendor and 9 times out of 10 you will not get a response.
Old 11-01-08, 07:14 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkdream
Two wrongs do not make a right..why is integrity and honesty in America so much lower than almost anywhere else?
That's a pretty complicated question, but the basic answer, IMO, is:

1. Because our leaders don't prioritize honesty and integrity over achievement, etc.; and

2. Parents stopped actually disciplining kids a generation or two back, and now just tell them they're wonderful and buy them new cars rather than giving them a swift kick in the butt from time to time when it's desperately needed.

Old 11-01-08, 08:09 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
Why would a vendor on CL sell a product for a car that doesn't work for the car? I would hope vendors on CL are different from vendors on eBay. Although, the majority of vendors don't respond to PMs and have lackluster service. The only vendor I trust on CL is Sewell. They have a dedicated team to their internet service, that is very efficient at running their business. They have returned every PM, email, and call I have EVER left them. Send a PM to Carson or another vendor and 9 times out of 10 you will not get a response.
Seems like a very viable point.

Quick Reply: Stock Ballast Melted!