IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

headlight condensation during the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 01:02 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default headlight condensation during the rain?

So i noticed my left headlight has condensation today after the storm. It's been raining for like 2 days now and i haven't experienced any condensation other times. Is it because of the heat inside the headlight causing it to have condensation? Or is there a leak somewhere?
Old 11-02-08, 01:09 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

have changed your bulbs or installed a hid kit??
Old 11-02-08, 01:25 AM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah have u done anything to the headlights? If not a trip to the dealership should fix it.
Old 11-02-08, 05:29 AM
l3lkis250
Driver

Take a look at those bulb covers and make sure they are secure. I had the same problem and found out I didn't have the drivers side cover on properly. I removed the bulb and took a blow dryer to the inside to evaporate the condensation.
Old 11-02-08, 07:43 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word... Me too and it hasnt been going away. Same light and every thing. Damn shop mounted my balast on the cover though so I guess I gotta unscrew everything to check it out.
Old 11-02-08, 11:01 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search for some of my past threads that helped members deal with this issue. I realized that moisture was coming in through the harness twill. Converting to aftermarket HID's does often yield moisture issues with the 2gen.
Old 11-02-08, 11:16 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I might be a lite guru but when it comes to condensation i've never had ne problems with any of the cars i've worked on...

One tip for the future thou: anytime you do bulb swaps, ALWAYS use a flashlite, even in the daytime to check to make sure you have the 'covers' correctly 'tab'd' in place, do not assume you've got the tabs in properly because they 'felt' good, you must do a visual inspection of the tabs.
Old 11-02-08, 11:43 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

IF you want the condensation to go away, take a blow dryer and aim it into the housing from the backside..if that doesn't get to it, leave the cover off overnight ONLY IF YOUR CAR IS IN A GARAGE obviously..it should be gone in the morning
Old 11-02-08, 12:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
So i noticed my left headlight has condensation today after the storm. It's been raining for like 2 days now and i haven't experienced any condensation other times. Is it because of the heat inside the headlight causing it to have condensation? Or is there a leak somewhere?
You've got extensive HID aftermarket stuff done in highs and fogs, right? Is it the same headlight you had a leak in before?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=34
Originally Posted by 2slow
Sorry, Hartwan but my car's headlight has a leak, so theres hellla condensation. When its fixed i will post some pictures.
Old 11-02-08, 02:59 PM
pandy_88
Lead Lap

i just notice mine today also. **** i just got the 08. i think its when i did the hid kit.
Old 11-03-08, 11:21 PM
pandy_88
Lead Lap

crap my condensation aint leaving!? ahh im scared
Old 11-04-08, 12:46 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

It started raining like last week and maybe it's too much rain for our headlights? Maybe the plastic trim sprung a leak?
Old 03-05-09, 08:11 AM
CJ Young
Driver School Candidate

Angry leaking headlight

I have discovered after getting a leak in my drivers side headlight thats its a pretty common problem, you can take it through a carwash and have it get fogged up & once that happens you have to repalce the whole unit to the tune of $1,300.00, kid you not, I am fighting with Lexus of riverside right now to replace it for free, they can back with they wil give me the unit but charge for installation. I saw another Lexus with same problem and left a note for the driver to call me, he didnt know yet but had a buddy who had same problem and had a fit at his dealership & they replaced it for free, I called my personal mechanice & off the top of his head he had replaced 6 in the last year, they will be calling me soon !
I called another mechanic who said its a common problem, lexux knows about it, if you have had this problem I would fight to get your money back, check your headlights folks, and check them every time they gets wet
Old 03-05-09, 09:25 AM
iLexi
Lead Lap

i just installed my hid but didnt put the covers on bc i dont know what to us to seal the hole. anybody have any suggestions?
Old 03-05-09, 09:55 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iLexi
i just installed my hid but didnt put the covers on bc i dont know what to us to seal the hole. anybody have any suggestions?
You can either drill a hole in the middle and Use a grommet from autozone or kragens. Make sure it's a tight fiting grommet, if not use heat resistant silicone to seal the grommet in.

Or you can drill a small hole on the side big enough for the wires to fit on the side. Not too big that it's loose.

Originally Posted by CJ Young
I have discovered after getting a leak in my drivers side headlight thats its a pretty common problem, you can take it through a carwash and have it get fogged up & once that happens you have to repalce the whole unit to the tune of $1,300.00, kid you not, I am fighting with Lexus of riverside right now to replace it for free, they can back with they wil give me the unit but charge for installation. I saw another Lexus with same problem and left a note for the driver to call me, he didnt know yet but had a buddy who had same problem and had a fit at his dealership & they replaced it for free, I called my personal mechanice & off the top of his head he had replaced 6 in the last year, they will be calling me soon !
I called another mechanic who said its a common problem, lexux knows about it, if you have had this problem I would fight to get your money back, check your headlights folks, and check them every time they gets wet
I didn't understand your PM because i never stated i was going to get a new headlight. It fixed itself when i installed new HID DRLS.

To check leaks, you can get a air compressor and shoot air into the headlight from the back. Check for air coming from anywhere.

Last edited by 2slow; 03-05-09 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: headlight condensation during the rain?