IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav hack switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-08, 03:32 PM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav hack switch

I'm doing the nav-hack with a switch for the speed sensor, and I've got the wire coming out of a switch spot to the left through an unused switch opening. Anyway, what kind of switch have people used to toggle the connection? Any recommendations for something that I could easily find at Fry's or radio shack?

I know it's not gonna look stock, but I would want something that tries to resemble a regular switch and is unlikely to break off.

If anyone has photos, that would certain give me some ideas.
Old 11-12-08, 06:28 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this switch. http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

Required some minor cutting so it would fit. It is the best option I could find and I looked everywhere.
Old 11-12-08, 08:53 AM
crazy_vag
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's exactly what I'm looking for. The only annoying part is that my car has that light cream interior, so the switch will stand out. However, it's better than those toggle switches that stick out. I'm afraid of breaking that away with my knee.

I wonder if there's a way to reuse my existing molding with that switch to give it a more stock look.
Old 11-12-08, 09:24 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jefe's IS
I bought this switch. http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45

Required some minor cutting so it would fit. It is the best option I could find and I looked everywhere.
Originally Posted by crazy_vag
That's exactly what I'm looking for. The only annoying part is that my car has that light cream interior, so the switch will stand out. However, it's better than those toggle switches that stick out. I'm afraid of breaking that away with my knee.

I wonder if there's a way to reuse my existing molding with that switch to give it a more stock look.

Hey Guys, I have that same switch. I really like it, it looks OEM. It only requieres some MINOR cutting to make it fit

Old 11-12-08, 03:39 PM
aboss3
Driver

Which nav hack did you use? I'm looking for a working solution to let me change destination, use phone, e.t.c. while driving. Any ideas?

I got an 06 IS350 with stock navi.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-08, 06:31 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aboss3
Which nav hack did you use? I'm looking for a working solution to let me change destination, use phone, e.t.c. while driving. Any ideas?

I got an 06 IS350 with stock navi.

Thanks!
I used the nav hack available here on this site. Instead of connecting the two wires together add a few feet of wiring to each wire then connect to above switch. When you flip the switch it will make the system "think" the car is stopped which will give you full access to all menus. Flip the switch back after entering destination or such and the GPS will start tracking again. Sometimes after flipping the switch to enter a destination it will lock up again, you will need to flip the switch back to the normal position then flip it again back to open the menus again.
Old 11-13-08, 09:46 AM
aboss3
Driver

Thanks for the info!
Have you tried this by any chance? (below)

1. Press Menu
2. Press Volume
3. Press the top left corner of the screen
4. Press the bottom left corner of the screen
5. Press the top left corner of the screen
6. Press the bottom left corner of the screen
7. A menu will come up
8. Press and Hold override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep
9. Hit back and you are done, you should be able to enter destinations while driving now

I just got these instructions, hope to try these today.