IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

picking up 2008 is350 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 02:56 PM
twang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picking up 2008 is350 tomorrow

As the title implies I will be picking up my new is350 tomorrow. It was an executive demo so it has 4200 miles on it. With those miles there was some scratches on the rear bumper from luggage and chips in the front. Part of the deal in me purchasing it was that the dealer would fix all the chips and repaint the rear bumper. My question is what should I be looking out for to make sure they did a good job on putting the bumper back on. I'm pretty sure they out source the work somewhere and I just want to make sure they do a good job and things are back to factory spec. anybody have experiences with Lexus of Austin? Thanks.

Teddy
Old 11-12-08, 03:16 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twang
As the title implies I will be picking up my new is350 tomorrow. It was an executive demo so it has 4200 miles on it. With those miles there was some scratches on the rear bumper from luggage and chips in the front. Part of the deal in me purchasing it was that the dealer would fix all the chips and repaint the rear bumper. My question is what should I be looking out for to make sure they did a good job on putting the bumper back on. I'm pretty sure they out source the work somewhere and I just want to make sure they do a good job and things are back to factory spec. anybody have experiences with Lexus of Austin? Thanks.

Teddy
I'm almost sure they do not outsource their jobs because Lexus requires you to open a Lexus certified body shop to get their franchise.
Old 11-12-08, 03:53 PM
albert_23
Pole Position

i was just afraid that they might not be able to get the perfect paint match since it's almost impossible to get perfect paint match for lexus cars even though lexus were to use their certified body shop.
Old 11-12-08, 05:25 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by albert_23
i was just afraid that they might not be able to get the perfect paint match since it's almost impossible to get perfect paint match for lexus cars even though lexus were to use their certified body shop.
Look for the color match in the sun light and I would also look at all of the work under the shop lights - the florescents show EVERYTHING. The texture of the paint should appear smooth and consistent with the factory paint, no orange peel.

Also look out for dirt in the clearcoat which you should be able find looking at the work from different angles. The bodyshop should be able to wet sand out most of the dirt that you find. If there are lots of dirt specks or if they are imbedded deep in the clearcoat I would ask them to re-do it. Also look along the bottom of each piece they painted for dried paint drips. Lastly, make sure the panels all line up and the gaps are tight and uniform all around.

Hope they do a beautiful job. Good luck

Last edited by cssnms; 11-12-08 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 07:22 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

HAHAHA.. i live in Austin Tx... and go to lexus of austin often.. i hate them because their customer service sucks..

I can't really comment on the work they do because they always make me go to another dealership because they try to tax me.. I end up going to San Antonio lexus dealership next to North Star Mall.. they are nicer
Old 11-12-08, 08:08 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've taken my car to Lexus of Austin three times for simple oil/filter changes. Have been very satisfied with the service and courtesy. They seem to run a nice, clean operation. But as the previous poster has a different viewpoint, I guess you'll have to find out how it works for you.
Old 11-12-08, 09:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Careful with buying demos. Sometimes just a dealership manager drives it. But most often, demos are driven by would-be customers who abuse the hell out of the car on test drives. I hope it was just the manager's car.
Old 11-12-08, 09:59 PM
twang
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info fellas. The car was actually a demo for one of their training centers or something to that effect. Basically it was driven to and from the training center to the airport. At least that's what they told me. The car was trucked to Austin. They had an is-f on the show room floor that went through the same process and had the front bumper repainted and it looked like it was new. Hopefully they weren't blowing smoke up my ***. I guess I can always decide not to buy it and get a different one since I haven't signed anything.
Old 11-12-08, 10:36 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Congrats! How exciting. Enjoy your new car.
Old 11-12-08, 10:44 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope you got a good deal. what color/?
Old 11-12-08, 11:38 PM
aznboi27
Pole Position

you should mod it up and meet up dude. i don't know anyone from ATX on this forum
Old 11-13-08, 04:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
I'm almost sure they do not outsource their jobs because Lexus requires you to open a Lexus certified body shop to get their franchise.
Well--that just can't be true, because my dealer doesn't have a body shop. They outsource. And dealership's only been around 2.5 years
Old 11-13-08, 04:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by twang
Thanks for the info fellas. The car was actually a demo for one of their training centers or something to that effect. Basically it was driven to and from the training center to the airport. At least that's what they told me. The car was trucked to Austin. They had an is-f on the show room floor that went through the same process and had the front bumper repainted and it looked like it was new. Hopefully they weren't blowing smoke up my ***. I guess I can always decide not to buy it and get a different one since I haven't signed anything.
Why did they repaint a brand new IS-F? There's no way THAT is a demo...
Old 11-13-08, 05:27 AM
twang
Driver School Candidate

They repainted the is_f because it was also an executive demo and had 4000 miles so it had some chips and imperfections. The cars are still sold as new so they have to make t look new.
Old 11-13-08, 07:33 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

"Training center," huh? Sounds fishy... Can you say, "Taste of Lexus track car?!" There shouldn't be a lot of chips and scratches on a car that was just taken to and from an airport or whatever. I would ask a lot more questions about the car before I plunked down my hard earned cash! Good luck

Quick Reply: picking up 2008 is350 tomorrow