IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For those who modded their leased IS....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-08, 11:29 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For those who modded their leased IS....

How close to "stock" do you restore your modified leased vehicle before turning it in at/near the end of the term??

I understand external things like removing 20-inch wheels, but what about less obvious alterations like conservative lowering springs, wheel spacers, sway bars, air intakes, front lips, window tints, NAV-hacks, etc. Some items may be easy to swap out and worth putting up for sale. Others may be a pain in the *** and not worth the trouble.

So, has anyone ever been called onto the carpet for mods when turning in their leased vehicle? If so, which ones and what came of the situation??

Thanks.
Old 11-21-08, 12:35 PM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to understand this from the dealer's perspective - all of those things, while the owner thinks that "they are wonderful additions to my great vehicle,and enhance the value," will decrease the value to most future buyers of the car, and may turn them off to the point that they will not buy the car. If I were looking at a preowned IS and it had 20 inch wheels, even though I thought the wheels were nice looking, I would pass on the car for fear that the car was potentially abused and would wonder what else had been done and undone. Beauty is generally in the eye of the current owner.

Just a thought.

Last edited by SC400MAN; 11-21-08 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-21-08, 12:58 PM
Mr. IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400MAN
You have to understand this from the dealer's perspective - all of those things, while the owner thinks that "they are wonderful additions to my great vehicle,and enhance the value," will decrease the value to most future buyers of the car, and may turn them off to the point that they will not buy the car. If I were looking at a preowned IS and it had 20 inch wheels, even though I thought the wheels were nice looking, I would pass on the car for fear that the car was potentially abused and would wonder what else had been done and undone. Beauty is generally in the eye of the current owner.

Just a thought.
Very well put.
Old 11-21-08, 01:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400MAN

Just a thought.
20" wheels is not a case of potential abuse. But it might not be the style, ride harshness, tire replacement cost, uncertain impact on handling that the potential buyer wants. Agreed, not every dealer wants a car so-equipped on the lot.
Old 11-21-08, 01:27 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

i would say rip off all aftermarket parts and sell them. As for the lowering springs i would double check your lease contract but i am pretty sure you cannot lower the car at all if is leased. I wouldn't worry about the tint. Always think of it this way would you buy a car that looked like its been fixed up and already had everthing? I wouldn't just because like SC400MAN said it actually makes it harder to get rid of and the dealership will hit you for it.
Old 11-21-08, 01:48 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 600rr05
i would say rip off all aftermarket parts and sell them. As for the lowering springs i would double check your lease contract but i am pretty sure you cannot lower the car at all if is leased. I wouldn't worry about the tint. Always think of it this way would you buy a car that looked like its been fixed up and already had everthing? I wouldn't just because like SC400MAN said it actually makes it harder to get rid of and the dealership will hit you for it.

I'll have to check my contract, but I can't imagine the lease terms would approve of ANY non-Lexus certified mod/upgrade. Doesn't mean lots of folks (on this forum as well) aren't doing it...

And that's the where my question comes in: Has anyone turned in a leased vehicle and been "busted" for mods that they didn't exchange? What happened? Did the dealer refuse trade-in until restored to stock? Keep the security deposit?

As an example, I leased my '05 Infiniti and had a set of used lowering springs installed. I traded it in "as is" to VW when I got my Passat. The VW folks didn't ask and were none the wiser for the G35 suspension change (it was pretty conservative). I never heard anything from them...
Old 11-21-08, 04:31 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I'll have to check my contract, but I can't imagine the lease terms would approve of ANY non-Lexus certified mod/upgrade. Doesn't mean lots of folks (on this forum as well) aren't doing it...

And that's the where my question comes in: Has anyone turned in a leased vehicle and been "busted" for mods that they didn't exchange? What happened? Did the dealer refuse trade-in until restored to stock? Keep the security deposit?

As an example, I leased my '05 Infiniti and had a set of used lowering springs installed. I traded it in "as is" to VW when I got my Passat. The VW folks didn't ask and were none the wiser for the G35 suspension change (it was pretty conservative). I never heard anything from them...
The question arises as to why you would put this kind of money into a car you don't own?
Old 11-21-08, 04:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I
Not an example of a lease turn-in. The 05 Infiniti was not a lease turn-in.

The 05 Infiniti was a trade-in to a VW dealer, the VW dealer took title to the traded vehicle. Terms of the lease contract with Infiniti do not apply to this transaction. The VW dealer took the car as-is.
Old 11-21-08, 04:50 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn it in at night. and they really dont care unless the car is really beat up because once u sign in that u turned in the car they cant do anything to u
Old 11-21-08, 05:14 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EJC
The question arises as to why you would put this kind of money into a car you don't own?
Depends on the reason you're doing the mods. Owning vs leasing doesn't necessarily change that reason. If you like a new car every few years (like me) and also want to do a little aftermarket modding (like me), leasing makes sense (business deductions help). The car will depreciate regardless.
Old 11-21-08, 05:16 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not an example of a lease turn-in. The 05 Infiniti was not a lease turn-in.

The 05 Infiniti was a trade-in to a VW dealer, the VW dealer took title to the traded vehicle. Terms of the lease contract with Infiniti do not apply to this transaction. The VW dealer took the car as-is.
Good point. Had I waited to turn the car back in to Infiniti at the end of lease instead, what might have happened?
Old 11-21-08, 05:37 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

It’s my sense that a car with all those mods would be a turn-off to a prospective buyer as he/she may believe the car was driven hard and not well-cared for. If the dealer believes this is true, they may either insist that all such mods be removed or they will charge the leaser accordingly at turn-in time to make up for a potential lower resale value.
Old 11-21-08, 05:52 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i dunno ive had dealers tell me that they dont mind when people trade cars in with aftermarket parts, since they can sell the car for more $$$ to someone else. i returned my last lease a RX330 with bigger then stock tires, and the tailights smoked and they didnt care. i think it would depend on the dealer though
Old 11-21-08, 06:35 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AM1
i dunno ive had dealers tell me that they dont mind when people trade cars in with aftermarket parts, since they can sell the car for more $$$ to someone else. i returned my last lease a RX330 with bigger then stock tires, and the tailights smoked and they didnt care. i think it would depend on the dealer though

I think you're right about it being somewhat dealer specific. How closely do they inspect an end-of-lease car on turn-in? Do they place it on the lift and have a 30+ point checklist?
Old 11-22-08, 12:25 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

well it depends on who you lease it through. my old rx330 was leased thru US bank. before i returned the car they had a pre-inspection. the inspector drove it down the street, made a 3 point turn, turned the navigation and radio on and off. he also checked for dings, scratches, and any major body work. they guy finished in 20 minutes printed out a short report and that was it. on the day i returned it, i just gave it back signed some papers and that was it. the fleet manager said that if i leased it through lexus financial, there wouldnt be a pre-inspection. and they would be even more lenient with stuff.

Quick Reply: For those who modded their leased IS....