IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: How did you deal with TPMS issue and aftermarket wheels?
Made a "pipe bomb"
22.22%
Placed the sensors in the spare
11.11%
Zip-tied the sensors together (two pairs)
5.56%
Used adapters (iForged) and placed them in new wheels
22.22%
Did nothing and have to deal with the WARNING display
11.11%
Other
27.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Best TPMS fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 09:06 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best TPMS fix?

I know this has been discussed a lot, but I will soon be mounting new 19s and they are not TPMS compatible. Curious as to how others have been dealing with this issue...

When searching prior threads, solutions have included a "pipe bomb", zip ties, placement in spare tire and use of adapters. A few decided to forgo sensors altogether and instead placed electrical tape over the annoying warning display .

I'm looking for an easy fix, but want to be sure that it will work. On my first pass over the older posts, dumping the sensors into the spare seems to be my first choice (but not sure...). For those who vote for a particular method, could you please let me know how reliable it has been?

Thanks.
Old 11-23-08, 09:33 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sensor adapters are not going to cost that much.

You already spent money on wheels, tires,... whats another $100 or whatever the cost is to make the TPMS system work properly. All of these short cuts don't get anywhere. Not bull****ting anyone but I've had a low tire a few times and YES they can save your tires from blown out or bubbles because you rode on the tire because you didn't know it was low on air/flat.

Most wheel set ups are going to run around 2k+ for a decent set up. Forged and 3 piece wheels will cost more but its JUST another 100 or so for piece of mind that it was done correctly.

IF ANYTHING JUST DRILL THE RIM, its 100% safe.
Old 11-24-08, 12:26 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

spend the money for TPMS sensor adapters.
Old 11-24-08, 07:27 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by projectdna
spend the money for TPMS sensor adapters.
I actually bought some iForged adapters from another CL member, so I could use those... The guy I bought my wheels from said that iForged sells three different kinds of adapters, and the two he tried didn't work with his wheels. He ended up using "bands" that wrap around the wheel to mount the sensors. I have the one adapter type that he never tried, so hopefully it will do the trick.
Old 11-24-08, 08:29 AM
Shank2117
Pole Position

i put all four of my sumemrtires/wheels in my backseat and one in my passenger seat.
Old 11-24-08, 08:39 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
The sensor adapters are not going to cost that much.

You already spent money on wheels, tires,... whats another $100 or whatever the cost is to make the TPMS system work properly. All of these short cuts don't get anywhere. Not bull****ting anyone but I've had a low tire a few times and YES they can save your tires from blown out or bubbles because you rode on the tire because you didn't know it was low on air/flat.

Most wheel set ups are going to run around 2k+ for a decent set up. Forged and 3 piece wheels will cost more but its JUST another 100 or so for piece of mind that it was done correctly.

IF ANYTHING JUST DRILL THE RIM, its 100% safe.

I agree...Especially with the last part. Just get the rims drilled and do them right. This is what I would do and not mess with the adapters. Easier sale if you part ways with them when your lease is up as most on here will want rims that are TPMS compatible

Last edited by passnu2; 11-24-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 09:38 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I zipped tie them together, I have to tighten them every 2-3 months, but its alright. Had them for about 6 months now and its all good.
Old 11-24-08, 10:23 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
I agree...Especially with the last part. Just get the rims drilled and do them right. This is what I would do and not mess with the adapters. Easier sale if you part ways with them when your lease is up as most on here will want rims that are TPMS compatible
Wouldn't know how to begin asking a wheel/tire shop to drill some holes for TPMS sensors. Most of our local places are franchises (Tire Plus, Firestone, etc.) with only a couple of "specialty" tire shops. I can call one of the latter places and see what they might offer.

What do I ask them to do?: "I have some non-TPMS compatible wheels and would rather not use adapters. Could you please drill me a hole for the sensors?" If they don't know what I'm talking about I wouldn't feel comfortable walking them through it using my expensive alloys...
Old 11-24-08, 10:29 AM
Shank2117
Pole Position

id just put them in the spare tire. i would never let anyone drill into my wheel.
Old 11-24-08, 12:37 PM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Are those who voted "Other" the ones who recommend "drilling the wheel"? Or is there something else I missed?...
Old 11-24-08, 01:17 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i don't know what's involved as far as drilling a hole for the TPMS sensors, but i believe any reputable rim/tire shop should know.

you can always call the manufacturer and find out...
Old 11-24-08, 07:25 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by projectdna
i don't know what's involved as far as drilling a hole for the TPMS sensors, but i believe any reputable rim/tire shop should know.

you can always call the manufacturer and find out...
I wouldn't trust any rim/tire shop to drill holes. That's just me. The only one I trust is the manufacturer - goodluck with that. With that said, the iForge adapter is the only way to go if you want functionality.
Old 11-24-08, 08:12 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Wouldn't know how to begin asking a wheel/tire shop to drill some holes for TPMS sensors. Most of our local places are franchises (Tire Plus, Firestone, etc.) with only a couple of "specialty" tire shops. I can call one of the latter places and see what they might offer.

What do I ask them to do?: "I have some non-TPMS compatible wheels and would rather not use adapters. Could you please drill me a hole for the sensors?" If they don't know what I'm talking about I wouldn't feel comfortable walking them through it using my expensive alloys...
I would call up any specialty rim places, including places that will repair rims. Firestone, Discount Tire, ect...those places wont do this. Too much risk and they dont have the stuff to do it. IMO I would find a place that repairs rims and call them to see what options they have. Its not a hard or lengthy process. Where are the rims now? If they are in CA I would have them dropped off at a shop there and then shipped to you. The MFG would be the last result/option depending on where they are located.

There are also Wheel MFG's located in Chicago that you can hit up and have do the work as a side job also. I called on a few of them in the past for Packaging. Wish I had some contacts for you to call.
Old 11-24-08, 08:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Are those who voted "Other" the ones who recommend "drilling the wheel"? Or is there something else I missed?...
I voted as other...IMO Order the rims this way so you don't have to go through all this
Old 11-24-08, 08:15 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

drill them.

I've tried all the different ways to mount the TPMS and drilling is the least headache solution.

The big **** hose clamp method worked for 2/4 wheels and is still holding, waiting to drill those two next time i have to dismount the tires.

1 wheel has a iforged type valve adapter the wheel shop gave me when they broke the clamp during dismount.

the last wheel, i drilled myself last time because strap kept breaking or sensor kept slipping out and the valve adapter broke when the tire guy over tightened it. I got tired of the sensor rolling around in the tire. It finally broke and I had to get it replaced, luckily under warranty from a friend at Lexus. I just went and bought a 15/32" drill bit which is a lil bit bigger than the 0.453 a standard hole is. A 29/64" bit is closer to the size.

Anyway...next time I flip my tires, imma drill the other three wheels.

Quick Reply: Best TPMS fix?