IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check System Message

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 06:52 AM
dblockjr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check System Message

I put on aftermarket set of winter tires and wheels and they do not have the sensors in them. The check system message along with the orange ! point along with the orange horseshoe are on. Is there any way to disable the check system light? It is so annoying, and I delt with it last winter, but I dont feel like it this winter. A friend of mine haas a 07 G35 and he only gets a small little horseshoe display and not all these blinking alarms that stay on all the time. And NO I dont feel like spending $400 plus install on the sensors. If anybody has any info, or know if the dealer could possibly disable it (which I doubt they would) please let me know.
Old 11-24-08, 08:09 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

This topic has been covered many times. But as far as I know there is no way to disable that message without the sensors or doing something special to fake out the system (ie. sealed pipe w/all senors inside, etc.).
Old 11-24-08, 08:09 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

there is no way to disable it. u have 3 choices.
1 swap ur original sensors on.
2 buy new sensors and install/program them.
3 buy new ones and make a tpms pipe bomb.

i paid 100 for the sensors on ebay and 70 dollars to install and program. i did while they swap my rims and tires. so far so good for me and i didn't get it done at the dealership.
Old 11-24-08, 08:28 AM
Shank2117
Pole Position

get all 4 of your summer tires/wheels and put them in your backseat/trunk
Old 11-24-08, 11:38 AM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
there is no way to disable it. u have 3 choices.
1 swap ur original sensors on.
2 buy new sensors and install/program them.
3 buy new ones and make a tpms pipe bomb.

i paid 100 for the sensors on ebay and 70 dollars to install and program. i did while they swap my rims and tires. so far so good for me and i didn't get it done at the dealership.
I just got back from my Lexus Dealer and they quoted me $700 for sensors and install/program. I like your idea better. Did you just take it to a tire shop? Does anyone know if just sensors off of a IS will work, or will the GS, ES work as well?
Old 11-24-08, 11:48 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

im sure they use basically the same ones but it depends on what year. search it on ebay there is someone selling them for 110 i believe and he list the tpms to be compatible with wat car and year. i went to my local tire shop to do it and they just charged me 70 to program and install because i also got the tires from there. they had the machine so i guess it depends on where u go and if they have the machine to program it.

Link

u can swap or buy new ones. then u have ur choices to make a pipe bomb or install them.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 11-24-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-24-08, 11:56 AM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
im sure they use basically the same ones but it depends on what year. search it on ebay there is someone selling them for 110 i believe and he list the tpms to be compatible with wat car and year. i went to my local tire shop to do it and they just charged me 70 to program and install because i also got the tires from there. they had the machine so i guess it depends on where u go and if they have the machine to program it.

Link
I just talked with my Dealer and they are specific ones for my car being it is a 2006 and manufactured before 04-06. I found a set on ebay for $100, but they are for the newer model Ill keep looking because I really don't want to spend $700 for this.
Old 11-24-08, 03:07 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

oh so ur car was manufacture before that date. im sure i read somewhere that u can use the other types and it dont have to be lexus. toyota could be use im sure.
Old 11-24-08, 03:45 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dblockjr
I just talked with my Dealer and they are specific ones for my car being it is a 2006 and manufactured before 04-06. I found a set on ebay for $100, but they are for the newer model Ill keep looking because I really don't want to spend $700 for this.
$700 for the sensors? That's way too much. Worst case if you can't find anything like the $100 deal on ebay, just buy from Sewell for $385 with the CLUBLEXUS discount.
Old 11-24-08, 04:12 PM
sykocus
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=tpms

My dealer charged me just $230 to program the TPMS. I bought them 2nd hand and had a tire shop install them when they mounted my new tires and rims. Also you probably want to specify to the dealer that you want the new TPMS added to the 2nd slot so they don't overwrite your summer tire TMPS.
Old 11-25-08, 08:08 AM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
$700 for the sensors? That's way too much. Worst case if you can't find anything like the $100 deal on ebay, just buy from Sewell for $385 with the CLUBLEXUS discount.
The sensors are $110 each from my dealer. The rest is labor and programming them. I found a set on Ebay for $105 but they won't work on my car. There is a very specific part number for cars manufactured before 4-06.
Old 11-25-08, 08:30 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

The sensors are $110 each from my dealer. The rest is labor and programming them. I found a set on Ebay for $105 but they won't work on my car. There is a very specific part number for cars manufactured before 4-06.
I understand what you're saying about pre-04/06 cars and the ones sold on ebay (that's where I got mine). What I'm saying is that if you can't find any ebay deals, buy them from Sewell and save a little bit compared to your dealer. BTW, $240 for labor and programming is still a little high. Bring your wheels to a reputable tire shop and have them install your sensors then go to Toyota and have them do the programming for about $60. Still expensive for a 5 minute process but better than a Lexus dealer. The labor and programming shouldn't be close to $200. Saving money is always good.
Old 11-25-08, 08:39 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I had bought a second set of TPMS sensors on ebay for less then $100, and had toyota dealer basically program them for free. I just paid for the mount & balance of the new rims & tires. Total was $99 + tax.
Old 11-25-08, 06:53 PM
dblockjr
Driver

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
I understand what you're saying about pre-04/06 cars and the ones sold on ebay (that's where I got mine). What I'm saying is that if you can't find any ebay deals, buy them from Sewell and save a little bit compared to your dealer. BTW, $240 for labor and programming is still a little high. Bring your wheels to a reputable tire shop and have them install your sensors then go to Toyota and have them do the programming for about $60. Still expensive for a 5 minute process but better than a Lexus dealer. The labor and programming shouldn't be close to $200. Saving money is always good.
Sewell has my sensors for $438. That is $2 less than my dealer quoted me. Im gonna keep searching Ebay or CL classifieds.
Old 11-25-08, 07:46 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Sewell has my sensors for $438. That is $2 less than my dealer quoted me. Im gonna keep searching Ebay or CL classifieds.
If you read my previous post above, I told you how to get it down to $385.

Quick Reply: Check System Message