IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID kit with auto function

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 08:20 PM
Stereoca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit with auto function

Hello, I installed a HID kit with a relay a few days ago on my 2009 IS 250 AWD. I noticed that when the headlight switch on the steering column is set to Auto, the headlights either dim a bit or blink when I press the start button to crank the car. I thought the relay wiring harness I installed was suppose to fix this but I guess it doesn't. Can I somehow install a delay into the HID kit where the headlights fire up after the car starts? Currently at night in Auto mode, the headlights turn on about half a second before the car cranks, which causes the HIDs to go out or blink. I know for Nissans, the dealership can change the timing on when the headlights turn on after the car starts, is there this same feature for the Lexus? How are other peoples HIDs working in Auto mode?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-08, 08:38 PM
dajwilson
Driver

If you're using a HID kit, do not use the auto function. I've went thru3 bulbs and a ballast and the shop where I get the work done suggests not using the auto function. I don't know if that will fix the problem but if you're seeing those kind of issues, I would think it would be safer to leave the auto alone.
Old 12-01-08, 08:47 PM
Stereoca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dajwilson
If you're using a HID kit, do not use the auto function. I've went thru3 bulbs and a ballast and the shop where I get the work done suggests not using the auto function. I don't know if that will fix the problem but if you're seeing those kind of issues, I would think it would be safer to leave the auto alone.
Yeah, I'm sure it's the auto function problem. I wonder how the cars with the OEM systems from the factory handle this issue?
Old 12-01-08, 10:14 PM
charles87k
Rookie

I have issues using the auto function with aftermarket hids too. if i leave it in auto and start up the car, it will blink and also only one side would be on (usually the passenger side would fire then shut off when the car starts). the headlights sometimes wont shut off either in auto mode when i press the lock button twice. now i just turn them on/off manually which doesnt bother me too much, but it would be nice to have the auto mode function properly.
Old 12-02-08, 08:32 AM
phongh
Lead Lap

I guess is the manufacture. I always leave my HID on auto and have no problem at all. Plus my bulbs come with lifetime warranty.
Old 12-02-08, 06:06 PM
Stereoca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS250SD
I guess is the manufacture. I always leave my HID on auto and have no problem at all. Plus my bulbs come with lifetime warranty.
Which kit do you have? Or do you have the factory one?
Old 12-02-08, 06:13 PM
Spartan452
Driver School Candidate

Would this happen if you switch the bulbs out from your car if it came with factory HIDs?
Old 12-02-08, 06:26 PM
Stereoca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spartan452
Would this happen if you switch the bulbs out from your car if it came with factory HIDs?
This shouldn't happen with factory HIDs, that's what I am trying to find out. When you have your switch in Auto mode, and you push the start button to crank the car, do the headlights turn on just before or after the engine starts?
Old 12-02-08, 06:40 PM
Spartan452
Driver School Candidate

For my car, which are stock HIDs at the moment, turns on maybe a few seconds after the car starts. My car is an 09 btw, so I dunno if it is different with the 06-08s...

I'm switching them out soon but I just hope I don't have the problem you have hehe.
Old 12-02-08, 10:41 PM
Stereoca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Spartan452
For my car, which are stock HIDs at the moment, turns on maybe a few seconds after the car starts. My car is an 09 btw, so I dunno if it is different with the 06-08s...

I'm switching them out soon but I just hope I don't have the problem you have hehe.
You shouldn't have this problem if you have factory HIDs. Like you said, the HIDs light up a few seconds after you start the engine which is fine. The problem with us guys that don't have the factory HID option is the headlights start up first before the starter cranks the engine causing a voltage drop and the HIDs to not fire up properly. I used to own a Nissan that had an after market HID kit in it, I had the dealership reprogram the computer to turn the headlights 3 seconds after the engine starts when the light switch is in Auto mode, does anyone know if Lexus can program in the same feature?
Old 12-02-08, 10:45 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

I have the aftermarket one. I been using this kit for about 2 months now. I did research and ask my friend all about the kit before buying it. It was very affordable and it give me no problem.
Old 12-02-08, 10:50 PM
Plit
Pole Position

so it's bad for the lights to go on before the engine starts?

what about when you park and turn off the engine and the lights are still on, is that bad for the lights too? or is it only affected when the lights start up because it needs to draw that extra power? i have the new mobilehid slim ballasts and wonder if that can factor in or not
Old 12-02-08, 10:55 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Well if you guys want to buy a new kit, I can recommend a shop that charge way cheaper the most vendor. My friends and I been buying stuff from them for a while. I sell high grade aftermarket parts. I have their website if anybody interested. The kit I bought was 6000k and it has no problem so far.
Old 12-05-08, 10:13 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys I was just wondering, did you guys change your fuse to 30amp instead of 15amp. I know its recommended with 15 amp but I changed it anyways.. maybe it'll help with your blinking problems!
Old 12-06-08, 01:44 AM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stereoca
You shouldn't have this problem if you have factory HIDs. Like you said, the HIDs light up a few seconds after you start the engine which is fine. The problem with us guys that don't have the factory HID option is the headlights start up first before the starter cranks the engine causing a voltage drop and the HIDs to not fire up properly. I used to own a Nissan that had an after market HID kit in it, I had the dealership reprogram the computer to turn the headlights 3 seconds after the engine starts when the light switch is in Auto mode, does anyone know if Lexus can program in the same feature?
i have an 06 with factory HIDS and they start before the engine cranks.. but it doenst dim or blink..