IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 05:46 PM
08Lexus250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pisaykotik
Do you have any details on how the dealer fixed the noise around the gauge cluster?
I actually do. I was curious myself as to what exactly they insulate the dash with so I asked the service manager at my local lexus dealership. Apparently, since theres a TSB for dash rattling lexus has these precut pieces of idk what exactly the material is but it appears to be some sort of fabric or something that they use to insulate the dash. I'm sure a service tech can provide you with better information about the material used to insulate the dash. All I was told was that it's precut in different sizes to insulate different areas of the dash.
Old 12-03-08, 06:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat

Guys, try to ignore this guy. It is a suggestion.

So I guess I havent helped everyone out on here okay I will not post since meowcat says I am not wanted around here I will hang up my hat and go where I am wated.

Its been fun
Old 12-03-08, 06:45 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Those who are hearing squeaks in the winter perhaps you got ice built up outside around the windows, doors, or plastic cover on the front of the windshield? It gave me the squeaks but as soon as the ice melted the squeaks gone away.

You only have 3000 miles. Give it another 5k and you will hear stuff. They do not build them like they used to. My 2001 RX is still quiet as a mouse. My IS has soooo many rattles (center speaker, sunroof, subwoofer ML). That being said I only hear them on occasion and when it is cold (now). I will be taking the car to the dealer soon and they should be able to fix everything.
Old 12-03-08, 07:42 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
You only have 3000 miles. Give it another 5k and you will hear stuff. They do not build them like they used to. My 2001 RX is still quiet as a mouse. My IS has soooo many rattles (center speaker, sunroof, subwoofer ML). That being said I only hear them on occasion and when it is cold (now). I will be taking the car to the dealer soon and they should be able to fix everything.
As Yoda would say: "Faith in your dealer, misplaced may be..."

Old 12-03-08, 07:48 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
So I guess I havent helped everyone out on here okay I will not post since meowcat says I am not wanted around here I will hang up my hat and go where I am wated.

Its been fun
I'm with you. This is a fan site, not a fanboi site. Our cars aren't perfect, deal with it and move on. I am so sick of the 'every car rattles' argument; it just isn't true, especially not to the degree that a great number of ISx50's rattle.

That being said, I am glad that one of my biggest complaints is the rattling: it is fairly minor flaw, in the grand scheme, though admittedly annoying.
Old 12-03-08, 07:51 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
As Yoda would say: "Faith in your dealer, misplaced may be..."

Have fun taking apart the dash!
Old 12-03-08, 08:29 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang I cant believe someone attacked Mike! WTF!

Passnu the Jedi Master would say: "Until the time is right... disappear we will"
Old 12-04-08, 07:41 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

^

The rattle we're talking about is no way near the glove box! it has nothing to do with it
it's def a mistake in the design of the dashboard or something, sometimes i drive with my hand pressing the dash
Old 12-04-08, 07:51 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16k miles here no rattles
Old 12-04-08, 08:22 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A.C Milan
^

The rattle we're talking about is no way near the glove box! it has nothing to do with it
it's def a mistake in the design of the dashboard or something, sometimes i drive with my hand pressing the dash
Agreed... I do the same thing as well... I think the only real solution is to remove the dash and fill it with tons of foam to keep constant pressure on the dash... The little pieces of felt the dealer uses eventually stop working and the rattles/squeaks come back
Old 12-04-08, 09:07 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm acting insane?

I wouldn't have made such big deal if passnu didn't bring up about the Acura, coming up with this non-sense that an Acura TL has better build quality than the IS350. Any cars can have some rattles depending on how people treat their cars too. The TL has much horrid build quality in addition to just having rattles.

Maybe this passnu guy treated his IS350 like crap, got it all beat up.... Or maybe he got the 19" wheels on it which can cause the parts to come loose overtime if not taken with care when driving. Just because an '06 IS350 having bunch of rattles doesn't mean all IS350's are crap. Like I have said earlier, the '08 version has made some improvements from what I have heard. What the I'm trying to say is there isn't really a need to bring up the Acura TL being better than the Lexus IS350 in terms of build quality and rattles and other concerns. You don't know the half of the story so don't jump into conclusion and tell me I'm insane. You don't like my post then ignore it. I was talking to passnu anyway.

You (and passnu) wanna ***** about the Lexus IS350 and the GS3xx you gonna complain no matter what car you drive. Somebody mentioned to you to check the glove compartment? Part of the rattles causing are due to user-error. I'm not just defending the IS350 because I own it. I see a day and light difference when I moved from a TL to an IS350 in everything about build quality. Rattles.... yeah I did get rattles with the TL starting at 2000 miles.... That was the rear cabin that made rattles. Some HEAVY rattle on the door panel started at 8000 miles. What's more serious? 3rd gear problem and almost got into accident because of it. That's more serious that stupid rattle....

Consider how upset you're getting over nothing here. Relax.
Old 12-04-08, 11:05 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Wow... My 2007 IS350 dash is squeaking and rattling like crazy now that the weather is cold... I am going to have to put a 1/2" piece of rubber tubing in between the dash and the windshield and hope that fixes it, but I am not sure it will be enough... I can press on certain parts of the dash and some of the rattles/squeaks stop, but man, it's gotten really bad lately

Car used to be whisper quiet!
this is what i did to resolve my dash rattle. i put about 10 inch length in the middle of the dash. i had to split the tube because it was too thick.
Old 12-04-08, 03:26 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ intersting... technique...did you try it yet? stupid dash is drving me nuts...
Old 12-04-08, 06:32 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 08Lexus250
I actually do. I was curious myself as to what exactly they insulate the dash with so I asked the service manager at my local lexus dealership. Apparently, since theres a TSB for dash rattling lexus has these precut pieces of idk what exactly the material is but it appears to be some sort of fabric or something that they use to insulate the dash. I'm sure a service tech can provide you with better information about the material used to insulate the dash. All I was told was that it's precut in different sizes to insulate different areas of the dash.
whatever company makes the material in the noise kit must be having a banner year, they probably cant keep up with demand...

i must agree that i foolishly though a Lexus would be rattle free. boy, was i wrong! Definitely annoying
Old 12-04-08, 06:48 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I'm acting insane?

I wouldn't have made such big deal if passnu didn't bring up about the Acura, coming up with this non-sense that an Acura TL has better build quality than the IS350. Any cars can have some rattles depending on how people treat their cars too. The TL has much horrid build quality in addition to just having rattles.

Maybe this passnu guy treated his IS350 like crap, got it all beat up.... Or maybe he got the 19" wheels on it which can cause the parts to come loose overtime if not taken with care when driving. Just because an '06 IS350 having bunch of rattles doesn't mean all IS350's are crap. Like I have said earlier, the '08 version has made some improvements from what I have heard. What the I'm trying to say is there isn't really a need to bring up the Acura TL being better than the Lexus IS350 in terms of build quality and rattles and other concerns. You don't know the half of the story so don't jump into conclusion and tell me I'm insane. You don't like my post then ignore it. I was talking to passnu anyway.

You (and passnu) wanna ***** about the Lexus IS350 and the GS3xx you gonna complain no matter what car you drive. Somebody mentioned to you to check the glove compartment? Part of the rattles causing are due to user-error. I'm not just defending the IS350 because I own it. I see a day and light difference when I moved from a TL to an IS350 in everything about build quality. Rattles.... yeah I did get rattles with the TL starting at 2000 miles.... That was the rear cabin that made rattles. Some HEAVY rattle on the door panel started at 8000 miles. What's more serious? 3rd gear problem and almost got into accident because of it. That's more serious that stupid rattle....

No one is saying that the IS350 is crap. They just don't make them like they used to. Like I said before, your car is still new. My car had 0 rattles until about 8000-10000 miles. You will get them.

Quick Reply: Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash