IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 10:46 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Phew... Well, center speaker rattle is the "easiest" to fix there...

Careful with ML sub blown... I'd also tell them you have a rattle in the rear deck so when they take it apart they will put some foam/felt when they put it back together... Rear deck can rattle, especially after it's taken apart... Good luck!
Thanks. They should be able to take care of everything. They have been good so far. How does the center speaker grill come off? I tried just pulling on it and I had no luck.
Old 12-07-08, 06:11 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ push it back towards the window then pull up. I know because mine always came loose. I can show you on Ricos car today.

I agree with Technique on the sub, I had that done on another car and it just caused more troubles every time they replaced it.
Old 12-07-08, 06:40 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, center speaker grill is really easy, just pry it out...
Old 12-07-08, 09:25 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

I have a horrible noise coming from the driver side of the car that I cannot identify. It sounds almost like a baby toy or something but it happens all the time and is driving me nuts. Anyone know from experience what TSIB I should be looking at right now?
Old 12-07-08, 12:02 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

i had a rattle in the center dash, the dealer fixed it, but i still hear cracking every so often, annoying! ill have it taken care of on my next service.
Old 12-07-08, 01:45 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinda
I have a horrible noise coming from the driver side of the car that I cannot identify. It sounds almost like a baby toy or something but it happens all the time and is driving me nuts. Anyone know from experience what TSIB I should be looking at right now?
Is it coming from the dash? If so, it's probably what I had... Loud rattle noise... Drove me nuts!
Old 12-23-08, 09:51 PM
jayy178
Rookie

i just started getting these noises since the weather's turned cold (at least cold in LA 55degrees). It seems to be coming from the center dash where the speaker would be since when I hold it down the noise goes away over bumps. Does anyone have a TSIB link or pdf for these fixes?
Old 12-24-08, 10:04 AM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

I've had the dash pulled out 3 times by the Stealership...(SoCal) and the rattle went away for about 6 months.

it's back and I don't think there's anything that can be done about it.

Design flaw that Lexus has decided to ignore. Sucks, because outside of the noise...the car is cool as ice.
Old 12-26-08, 05:33 PM
chrisyano
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that the weather does not play a huge role in whether or not your dash rattles (at least in my case, that is). I live in Hawaii where the weather is pretty much even throughout the year.

My dash had a slight creak from the beginning, but only when it was hot from being in the sun.

Lately it developed a bit of a rattle at around 5K and roughly 17 months. Our roads are horrible so lots of bumps/vibration running through the car. I thought I would need the fabric inserts, but the dealership only lubricated the defrost vent and it seemed to have worked thus far.
Old 12-29-08, 06:39 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisyano
I would say that the weather does not play a huge role in whether or not your dash rattles (at least in my case, that is). I live in Hawaii where the weather is pretty much even throughout the year.
It will be different with various cars. Mine rattles only when cold, and I can press down to apply pressure on the center dash section to immediately stop the noise. Once warm, it completely goes away. So for me at least, its temperature [cold] related.

On the other hand, I've had a squeek where my rear window met the roof liner area of the car, where it would squeek after heating up such as instances where it would sit parked in the sun for a while. I ended up adjusting a clip in the liner to eliminate that, but I've heard it on other vehicles (besides the IS), as well.

Lastly, what appeared to be a door/B-pillar rattle, was actually my passenger side seat. When unoccupied, it would rattle at random times, cold or hot. I've learned of some pressure points which stop it, but haven't gotten around to an actual fix for the issue.

Needless to say, each car and even rattle, can behave differently.
Old 12-29-08, 09:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,060 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Another point or two while tracking down rattles...

1) Make sure you do not have any glasses in the over head sunglass holder...
That one drove me nuts for about a week.. LoL.. But at least I knew it was an easy fix.. Don't put sun glasses in there...

2) The other for me is the Owners manual in the Glove Box.. My glove box likes to make noise when the manual is in there.. Yet doesn't, when the manual is not in there..
The flimsy tray holder doesn't handle the extra weight too well..

Joe Z

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Reminds me of my Glove Box.. LoL...

That damn tray in there is a POS...!!

My Owners manual rides shotgun with me, so the glove box tray doesn't rattle..
Old 12-29-08, 10:43 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

2008 IS250 RWD 6AT
Non-ML Package
Factory Navi

I took my car into Tustin Lexus in California for my 5000 mile complimentary oil change. I printed out a copy of the TSIB for "Instrument Cluster Rattle" and took it in and explained my situation. So one of the service advisors came out and drove the car with me. However, because of the drive from my house to the dealership, the car was sufficiently warm that there were no sounds being made. I was mad, but could not say anything because there was no sound.

I asked him how many cars he has done, and he told me there were a few 06's, One 07 and NO 08's..

What should I do? This morning, the rattles were as loud as ever.

Anybody with an 08 have this rattle and have had it fixed?

Anybody know any dealerships in SOCAL that have done a lot of the "Noise Kit" installs?
Old 12-29-08, 01:10 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

don't turn on the heater when you drive there. My problem comes and goes with the weather. I had the TSIB, but it fixed it for 3 months and came back mine was an 07. I happened a lot when you drive over uneven pavement like freeways or overpasses.

I still have a rattle because my dealer told me that it is within normal parameters because I drive on roads that are not considered "normal" roads. I put a piece a foam in the center speaker grill and eliminated about 90% of the rattle. I comes back with it is cold.

Try pushing down the center speaker grill and see if it goes away.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-08, 07:54 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn cold weather bringing out the creaks again
Old 12-29-08, 08:38 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

just curious...how loud are the rattles/squeaks and what not?

Quick Reply: Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash