IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 08:46 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they sound like keys dangling or change rattling..
Old 12-30-08, 10:08 AM
DZP
Pit Crew

I've hunted down and have eliminated nearly all rattles and interior noises in my IS. There are quite a few "problem spots", and I'll post a guide of sorts on fixing all the rattles that can occur in the IS sometime in the future.
Old 12-30-08, 10:15 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

thank you! i dont trust the dealer to do anything!
Old 12-30-08, 10:39 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

DZP that'll be very helpful since I got a few rattles to deal with myself.
Old 12-30-08, 07:07 PM
yutnaka
Driver School Candidate

I found at Home Depot what I knew as "Backer Rods" or they have it labeled at caulk savers(which is foam) to work great for the area between the windshield and the dash.

Question for Technique: Where did they stuff the cube of foam near the instrument panel? Can you give us a picture by any chance?

They also have an "air conditioner weatherseal" which might work as well.

I hope this helps...I only have two more rattles to deal with
Old 12-31-08, 07:34 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yutnaka
I found at Home Depot what I knew as "Backer Rods" or they have it labeled at caulk savers(which is foam) to work great for the area between the windshield and the dash.

Question for Technique: Where did they stuff the cube of foam near the instrument panel? Can you give us a picture by any chance?

They also have an "air conditioner weatherseal" which might work as well.

I hope this helps...I only have two more rattles to deal with
The rattle sort of came back, and they found the perfect spot to add a shim/wedge to, it 110% got rid of the rattle... The spot is to the left of the steering wheel... In below the vent, and above the 3 button slots (sunshade button, headlamp washers, coin holder, etc)... It's that gap where the top dash and the middle dash meet... Anyway, they stuck a small coin in there to test and it totally stopped the rattle... So they took some foam, and pushed it deep in there with a screwdriver like tool and POOF! The rattle is 100% gone...

Here's a pic with a red arrow to the area I'm talking about... If you want to test it, just take a dime or quarter and push it in there (not too deep though) to create pressure between both sections of the dash...

Old 12-31-08, 09:36 AM
Jay2184
Driver School Candidate

Default My story

Let me tell you guys about my "noise kit" solution.

So I took in my car for a 15000 service. I told them about my glove noise since it was being irritating. I told them "Hey can you take a look over my glove I have these rattling noise coming from it, and how much would it cost?" Service guy: "Its free under warranty still." So I was happy! Dropped it off at 8 AM on Saturday. 3 hours later he called saying they can't find the problem and need to keep it over night until Monday. I said ok that's fine.

Monday come along I get a wake up call at 8 AM on my day off! Service guy: "we found the problem, it was your intake that's making the noise. Since its AM (aftermarket) we need to charge you the service hours 200/ a hour. They spent 6 hours on your car" I was like HOLY ****** man still half asleep btw, but it sure woke me up. An hour or two after I drove down there told them WTF man I told you it was the glove. I never told you to check my engine bay and plus no one called me and ask for my authorization to fix the engine so why do I need to pay? I could've fixed that myself. So they waived the service fee. But they did a mickey mouse job, now my engine bay plastic cover look like its seating on a carpet matt.

That's my 2 cent on Lexus service here in SoCal btw I dropped it off at Lexus of Glendale.
Old 12-31-08, 09:40 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Guys, it would really help if you type what year your car is and the trim and stuff as much as possible
Old 12-31-08, 11:23 AM
yutnaka
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info Technique!! I will try that when I get home from work today, and I also have the same type of noise on the right side, so it might work on the right side too. I'll post my results.
Old 01-01-09, 05:20 PM
yutnaka
Driver School Candidate

Here are the results: Technique's place does work, but I went ahead and put some foam above the 3 button area that he mentioned to make sure there were no more rattles to hear. Once you take off the side of the dash, the bottom portion pulls out just as easily to stuff some foam up there.

Also, the right door rattled and I've found a solution which may work for some. When you roll the window down, there is a small space in which you can stuff some foam. Use a minus screw driver to lift the door panel very slightly and stuff tiny pieces of foam in there. That seemed to alleviate 90% of the rattle there. Will work to get 100%!!

After driving my car to figure out where the rattle where coming from, here are two location which might help people figure where they are.

-the cup holder in the back seat.
-headrests for the front seats.(for me just the passenger side, maybe because I apply enough pressure on the driver's side)

The headrest rattle became quiter when I lowered it all the way down.

I hope this helps!!
Old 10-05-10, 05:54 AM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

Technique, i've tried pushing rubber tubing inside but problem is my IS is a RHD IS250 and the rattles I am having is from the left side (where you steering wheel is, my glovebox is there) When i try to stuff the tubing in, the corner side of it ends up getting stuck and going into the VIN number part.

I removed the side cover of the dash and pulled out the vent and then with a torch i was able to see the white clip and touch it with my small hands . However, i couldnt really figure out how to insulate or stuff it. I'm considering maybe removing the glovebox one of these days and doing it properly.

any suggestions?
Old 10-22-10, 07:31 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmed24
Technique, i've tried pushing rubber tubing inside but problem is my IS is a RHD IS250 and the rattles I am having is from the left side (where you steering wheel is, my glovebox is there) When i try to stuff the tubing in, the corner side of it ends up getting stuck and going into the VIN number part.

I removed the side cover of the dash and pulled out the vent and then with a torch i was able to see the white clip and touch it with my small hands . However, i couldnt really figure out how to insulate or stuff it. I'm considering maybe removing the glovebox one of these days and doing it properly.

any suggestions?
Maybe try some foam instead.
Old 10-22-10, 07:47 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im hearing some rattling from behind the navi it seems like, any1 else with that issue?
Old 10-23-10, 01:44 AM
maz
Lead Lap

I had a rattle wear the center speaker was. Dealer fixed that. Then after a while I got creaks around the nav and gear shift area. Dealer put in some kind of padding that fixed it for the most part. I might get some slight creaks when going on uneven roads, but its much better now then it use to be.
Old 10-27-10, 01:34 PM
Lexitegra
Lexus Test Driver

My dash doesn't rattle, but it does look like it's either started to warp OR lift above the center console venting!! I noticed it today and I can actually push down on it

Quick Reply: Squeaky, Creaky, Rattles in the IS Dash