IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 08:59 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally I got coilovers.12k/10k. Got them for a great price. You know what Im doing sunday instead of watching football.

Old 12-03-12, 09:09 AM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hnb
I have both Monster and monoprice HDMI cables... Absolutely nothing is different enough to make it worth that ridiculous pricetag (same goes with jdm visors for our 2IS... *ahem*)
Old 12-03-12, 09:12 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the only time HDMI quality comes into any sort of relevance is at super long distances. Like 25 feet long.
Old 12-03-12, 09:42 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Cut and pasted from another article:

"As long as one appreciates the limits of the point, it's an important point to make: a digital signal is just a string of ones and zeros. When a digital signal gets through a cable, and is interpreted correctly at the other end with no dropped bits, the result is no loss of information, and hence no loss of picture or sound quality. The signal may have suffered a great deal of degradation along the way from multiple causes; there may have been EMI, RFI, intrapair skew, interpair skew, return loss, rounding from capacitance, attenuation, anything - but if the bitstream gets read correctly at the end of the process, none of that degradation makes one bit (either figuratively or literally) of difference.

Now, that point often gets made into something it is not. People will sometimes claim that cable quality does not matter. The truth is more like this: if a particular cable, regardless of price and internal quality, delivers the signal in condition to be accurately read, no increase in cable quality will make things any better. However, if the cable does NOT deliver the signal in good condition, it is entirely possible that a better cable (which may or may not be more expensive) may fix the problem. This is so because, while it may seem a simple matter to deliver a series of ones and zeros by switching a voltage up and down, things get pretty funky at ultra high frequencies, and electricity does some strange and not always obvious things when one tries to run high-speed signals."

What this means: Use the cheaper cable first. If it doesn't work, buy the more expensive stuff.

Also for anyone shopping at any big box electronics stores, don't buy the $30 to $70 house branded cables. They're just basic $5 HDMI cables with slightly more durable connectors. This is coming from a guy who works part time at a big box electronics store.

Also FYI, I used to work for Sony at the Sony Store about 3 years ago. I can tell you that the $229 M-Series cable had a cost of ~$60. We made more money off of the cables than off of the hardware itself in most cases.
Old 12-03-12, 10:58 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Cut and pasted from another article:

"As long as one appreciates the limits of the point, it's an important point to make: a digital signal is just a string of ones and zeros. When a digital signal gets through a cable, and is interpreted correctly at the other end with no dropped bits, the result is no loss of information, and hence no loss of picture or sound quality. The signal may have suffered a great deal of degradation along the way from multiple causes; there may have been EMI, RFI, intrapair skew, interpair skew, return loss, rounding from capacitance, attenuation, anything - but if the bitstream gets read correctly at the end of the process, none of that degradation makes one bit (either figuratively or literally) of difference.

Now, that point often gets made into something it is not. People will sometimes claim that cable quality does not matter. The truth is more like this: if a particular cable, regardless of price and internal quality, delivers the signal in condition to be accurately read, no increase in cable quality will make things any better. However, if the cable does NOT deliver the signal in good condition, it is entirely possible that a better cable (which may or may not be more expensive) may fix the problem. This is so because, while it may seem a simple matter to deliver a series of ones and zeros by switching a voltage up and down, things get pretty funky at ultra high frequencies, and electricity does some strange and not always obvious things when one tries to run high-speed signals."

What this means: Use the cheaper cable first. If it doesn't work, buy the more expensive stuff.

Also for anyone shopping at any big box electronics stores, don't buy the $30 to $70 house branded cables. They're just basic $5 HDMI cables with slightly more durable connectors. This is coming from a guy who works part time at a big box electronics store.

Also FYI, I used to work for Sony at the Sony Store about 3 years ago. I can tell you that the $229 M-Series cable had a cost of ~$60. We made more money off of the cables than off of the hardware itself in most cases.
Thanks for the great info, to be honest I had the monster cable, I forget which series it was, but I paid like $70 and hook up to my bluray player, I watch the same movie's and compare between the monster cable and AQ cable, I can see a big different, but it was a Samsung bluray player which i think it good enough? but after do some research and I order the OPPO BDP 103, and this one came with a HDMI cable, and it cable big, i think the cable was made for that player? but I am happy with that cable and will return the AQ cable, thanks you all for the great info on HDMI cable
Old 12-03-12, 06:32 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

also remember that some devices have video format settings within the menus that sometimes might need to be set correctly according to your tv/monitor display. don't assume that your device is set to its highest resolution right out of the box.
Old 12-03-12, 06:36 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Totally unrelated to Lexus but i just got a new roll cage and fixed doors on this bad boy!
Old 12-03-12, 07:43 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

^ You should slap on a F-Sport badge on there.
Old 12-03-12, 07:58 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nitrotang
^ You should slap on a F-Sport badge on there.
If you have one I can have, i would run one! It would be the only "F-Sport" in the desert for sure.
Old 12-03-12, 08:02 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Actually some things commonly found on import such as carbon fiber vinyl and plati-dip have made there way on to the off-road seen!. I have a full 3m dry-carbon black and gray wrap on that thing. LEDs are the next big thing now.

Last edited by 1herm4; 12-04-12 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-04-12, 06:09 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a few things
1) tool box for trunk
2) Samsung Ultra book
3) ear muff and Remington Glasses for the range
4) Lexus Aluminum sports pedals
5) Glare Luxury air freshner
6) some visors from my boy

Old 12-04-12, 06:30 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iRyan
Got a few things
1) tool box for trunk
2) Samsung Ultra book
3) ear muff and Remington Glasses for the range
4) Lexus Aluminum sports pedals
5) Glare Luxury air freshner
6) some visors from my boy

That squash air freshener is legit! Nice pickups
Old 12-04-12, 08:38 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
That squash air freshener is legit! Nice pickups
thanx man..yea i love the smell of it
Old 12-06-12, 09:37 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Got these a few days ago but never got a chance to take a pic

Morimoto 5000k

Last edited by GiantsFan; 12-06-12 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-06-12, 11:02 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Got these a few days ago but never got a change to take a pic

Morimoto 5000k

Pics of them installed!

Quick Reply: The "Look what I got today!" Thread