IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XenonDepot D4S Bulb problems second batch

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 02:12 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts
Default XenonDepot D4S Bulb problems second batch

I ordered 6k D4S bulbs in the begining from XenonDepot and about 6months later i started having problems where just one side would turn off after a little while. I was given a replacement and chose to go for the 8K this time. When i received my 8K D4S once again was working perfectly fine till now. Its been a few months and now I am having the exact same problem again. One side just randomly turns off.

Sometimes i set off from my driveway checking that my lights are on. After driving for a few minutes I realise it has turned off as I cannot see one of the lights reflection on the car ahead. I have to turn off the lights and turn them on again to have it on.

This is the second time this is happening. It is definately not improper installation as I took my time both times to install it and make sure the connector is sitting very firmly.

There is however one thing in common on both incidents and that is that before I start experiencing this problem, my car goes into the dealership for a service and they leave the light switch on auto and from there onwards the lights start playing up forever.

Can anyone please give me any information on this? I am getting a bit frustrated now as here in the UK the sun sets around 3:50PM and most of the time I have to drive is in the dark.

Would appreciate any advice on this.

Many thanks
Old 12-06-08, 02:46 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar problem. all you can really do is get them warrantied out and sell them to get another brand? I have yet to try something in this car and have held off just for this reason. I wish these cars had better light output so we didnt have to mess with this.
Old 12-06-08, 02:51 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Thanks for your reply Mike. I agree with you, the factory ones should really produce better light output then we wouldnt have to be swapping them out. Right now I am really getting frustrated and wondering if I should put my OEM phillips bulbs back in?
Old 12-06-08, 02:53 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is happening to me with OEM bulbs
Old 12-06-08, 03:05 PM
ahmed24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by is350drive
This is happening to me with OEM bulbs
That's strange I never had issue with the Phillips oem ones. This problem seems to have started both times after auto light switch was turned on
Old 12-06-08, 03:10 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I think the output on the OEMs are just fine. Am I the only one?
Old 12-06-08, 03:43 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you. The only reason I want to experiment with the lights are for looks.
Old 12-06-08, 03:45 PM
ISooNice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isuxel the light output isn't a problem at all! maybe cause it just looks yellowish people want that whitish or blueish color.. i wish my 6000k gave brighter output but i have my fogs to make up for that. the color is just better looking
Old 12-06-08, 05:21 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I figured that but everyone is saying that there isn't enough light...just get HID fogs and call it a day!
Old 12-06-08, 07:24 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the output on 4300k is awesome...

when i changed to 6000k i didn't notice any less of light output to be honest they were actually pretty bright...

although i would have to say it is still worth getting the 6k's over the 4300k based on looks alone...

everyone want's a "white" hid headlight and the 4300k gives off that "look" but when you really go side by side with something like the 6000k's the 6k's makes the stock 4300k look horrible and yellow...
Old 12-06-08, 07:43 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

just wondering for people who have these xenon depot bulbs.....did you raise your headlights and if you did, how high did you raise them? I raised them a bit (I can't remember how many teeth/complete revolutions) and it made a slight difference but not too much. I think my biggest problem is that since I also have xenon depot hid fogs, the fogs from factory are so low that the light hits the ground straight in front. I need to raise my fogs up
Old 12-06-08, 07:59 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iskcon
just wondering for people who have these xenon depot bulbs.....did you raise your headlights and if you did, how high did you raise them? I raised them a bit (I can't remember how many teeth/complete revolutions) and it made a slight difference but not too much. I think my biggest problem is that since I also have xenon depot hid fogs, the fogs from factory are so low that the light hits the ground straight in front. I need to raise my fogs up
i believe in one thread Technique recommended everyone to raise it by turning 70 teeths on driver side and 60 teeths on passenger if you have a LHD (Left hand drive) car
Old 12-06-08, 08:46 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

once you have had other MFG's cars you will tell the difference. My last car I traded in for the IS was an 06 S4 and it lit up the road. My wifes last car, TSX, had the best lights any car has (reason why many retro fit the TSX projectors in other make/model cars). There is a difference when you have had a taste of the other. My wife would get in the IS and ask me what was wrong with the lights. I see no difference in the GS from the IS. 4300k is going to have more light output the anything greater. I got the HID fogs to install on the GS to make up for the difference and hope they match the OEM so I dont have to mess with them until I see this problem is resolved. Besides I am getting old and need extra light to see when driving at night lol...
Old 12-06-08, 08:53 PM
Spartan452
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to be off topic, but I ordered a set of bulbs and fog light kit from xenondepot and I haven't gotten a tracking number or anything saying it has been shipped and it has been a week since I paid, how long does it take for them to process and ship?
Old 12-06-08, 09:02 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spartan452
Sorry to be off topic, but I ordered a set of bulbs and fog light kit from xenondepot and I haven't gotten a tracking number or anything saying it has been shipped and it has been a week since I paid, how long does it take for them to process and ship?
your fine. they are a stand up company and Steve is a good guy

Quick Reply: XenonDepot D4S Bulb problems second batch