IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is disappointment with IS250 AWD's performance in snow due to car/tires/conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 06:09 PM
z4frosik
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happened to me i was going 5 mph and my car lost control and had ZERO traction and i slid into a side walk, just rim damage but still sad since i was going under 10 mph.
Old 12-07-08, 06:36 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus69
My opinion: Circumstance >= Tires >> Car. A "sharp" (albeit controlled) turn on a decline covered with fresh snow at the freezing point is probably too much for most A/S tires to handle, so I'm not surprised the car "broke away".

My previous Audi A4 with all-seasons would have likely performed in a similar manner. If you're in the snow-belt and have to contend with long winters, a set of dedicated snow tires (I have Dunlop Winter Sports) is a very high-yield investment.

Last winter I put mounted snows on the car (IS250AWD)
I dropped down to 16" rims with Hankook 300S Tires. The tires look large but give great grip in the snow.

The car a was a dream to drive in the snow. Loved the handling, and preferred it to the Jeep Cherokee AWD i had gotten out of. The low center of gravity with the snows and the IS just kept moving.

The dry pavement handling of the Hankooks is good as well.

Old 12-07-08, 06:54 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

RWD....enough said. With snow tires these cars arent that bad. And to think I went my first winter on the OEM summer tires

But I passed that to member Paranormal as he was over today pulling a Mike having his summer rims/tires off and OEM back on with Summer tires on them
Old 12-07-08, 07:00 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/QUOTE]

You should run that year round!!!!
Old 12-07-08, 10:48 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 08 AWD and not I am getting kinda freaked out by what other AWD members are saying about our car. This will be my first winter w/my car so hope by AS tires do well here in the northwest.
Old 12-08-08, 12:45 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

AWD systems are all different, Audi / BMW / Mercedes / Lexus blablabla...all different in many ways. Owning a Lexus i'm not saying anything wrong but the germans conquered the AWD systems. i know the evo's and sti's have the edge but germans have crazy tech. in it from diff. experience.. depends on situations but AWD is not crazy diff. from FWD/RWD other than 4 wheels moving.. a RWD/FWD car with snow tires could be better than and AWD with all-seasons in sum circumstances. now if its AWD with snow tires.. well..jus look out for ice, snow shouldn't factor unless its A LOTT. recommend bridgestone BLIZZAKS!!!
Old 12-08-08, 04:29 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kevenhang
I have a 08 AWD and not I am getting kinda freaked out by what other AWD members are saying about our car. This will be my first winter w/my car so hope by AS tires do well here in the northwest.
Put snows on all 4 corners.
I posted on this string earlier, I had no problems in the snow last year. Actually, it was fun in the snow and had great traction.
Old 12-08-08, 04:55 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i dunno why ppl expect awd/4wd cars to behave differently than any other car when they are all cars.

the only difference awd/4wd will have over fwd and rwd in crappy road conditions is the amount of grip available for acceleration and somewhat in making turns.

braking however will be the same or worse because awd/4wd cars are usually heavier.

if you experience any kind of road holding issues then take a look at the most important factor in road holding technology: the tires.

proper tires for the road conditions will make the most difference than having a different drivetrain.

if u have snow/ice and/or extremely cold temps then opt for winter/snow/ice tires.

if u just have cold weather/rain then get all seasons.

if u live in sunny california, then stick with the beloved michelin PS2 or better
Old 12-08-08, 05:02 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Tires! Tires! Tires! Please don't expect super grip from OEM A/S tires. If you are in the snow belt, I also suggest getting dedicated winter tires and you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-08-08, 07:10 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Quick fix. Whatever tires you run lower the PSI a bit for better traction in snow or ice conditions.
Old 12-08-08, 09:21 AM
Oakley IS
Driver

mine is a RWD and it handles like a dream in the snow - best car I've had in the snow actually - and I drive on snow daily.

its 90% the tires - get some real snow's.

I've found the Hakkepelitas to do the best job.

If you dont get friction ( traction ) it doesnt matter how many wheels are turning, it will most likely just get worse.

Lars
Old 12-08-08, 09:55 AM
DrGP
Driver

Originally Posted by Oakley IS
mine is a RWD and it handles like a dream in the snow - best car I've had in the snow actually - and I drive on snow daily.

its 90% the tires - get some real snow's.

I've found the Hakkepelitas to do the best job.

If you dont get friction ( traction ) it doesnt matter how many wheels are turning, it will most likely just get worse.

Lars
Not sure those are available in the US?
Old 12-08-08, 10:05 AM
Oakley IS
Driver

Originally Posted by DrGP
heres their website and the tires, should find it there I guess;

http://www.nokiantyres.com/product-group?group=1.01
Old 12-08-08, 10:10 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Yes, they are. Nokian tires -- there is a dealer locator on their website.
Old 12-08-08, 02:31 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that I advise against snow tires but just for reference, I've had my car for 2 winters with the Dunlop AS tires that came with the car. Last winter was like the the snowiest in like 90 years. The car was a champ. Having said that I don't drive all that much so that may explain things. My car has gone about 12000 miles.

Quick Reply: Is disappointment with IS250 AWD's performance in snow due to car/tires/conditions?