IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

PCV valve location for Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 09:26 PM
yutnaka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV valve location for Catch Can

does anyone have a picture of where the PCV valve is located? I am wanting to install a DIY catch can for my car. Any pics or diagrams will be appreciated. This is my first time owning a Lexus and I really want the best for my car. My previous car was an Infiniti I30 and it really benefitted from the catch can I installed.

yutnaka
Lexus IS250
Old 12-10-08, 09:40 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

uh really?
Old 12-10-08, 09:46 PM
yutnaka
Driver School Candidate

yeah..there is not a whole lot of information about this engine online, but there are lots of info on the VQ engines. That is why I am asking for help.
Old 12-16-08, 02:10 PM
yutnaka
Driver School Candidate

Well, I found the location and installed a DIY catch can. If those of you are familiar, its the catch can made from Home Depot Inline air filter. After 20 miles of driving, I have a good teaspoon of oil accumilated in there. Looks like I'll be emptying it out at every oil change.
Old 12-16-08, 02:57 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

show some pics, please?
Old 12-16-08, 03:02 PM
Mr. IS350
Driver

Let's see some pics of this setup? and of the oil that it's catching.
Old 12-16-08, 05:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

What is the perceived benefit here?

How long did it take to accumulate 15cc of oil? Are you familiar with vacuum system oil migration control, and how putting a device like a catch can inline will promote oil migration? Are you familiar with the baffling in the cam covers and how it acts like your catch can without the undue cooling effect your can has? Do you believe if a simple catch can would solve a significant problem that the OEMs would not use them?
Old 12-16-08, 06:16 PM
yutnaka
Driver School Candidate

pics coming soon...have to find a digital camera!! To my knowledge, PCV is not a vaccum but a positive pressure being release to the intake manifold for recirculation. Now if I did that to a vacuum line, and yes it would cause oil migration. My previous car was a Infiniti I30 and it benefitted greatly from this catch can mod. Ask the folks over at maxima.org forums. Its really not a problem, but more of a peace of mind for me. Knowing that oil is not getting burned with fuel and and air at the same time is a relief enough for me. Everyone could question why mods are not OEM, but that would ruin how we personalize our cars.
Old 12-16-08, 07:15 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this on my previous car, but that's because I force induced it. I don't see any benefit doing this on a nearly stock Lexus. Wouldn't re-routing the PCV line from the intake to the catch can create positive crank case pressure? Vacuum pressure from the intake helps excavate all the vapors out of the cylinder head. Recirculating it not only combust unburnt fuels, but it helps inhibit the toxic vapors from polluting the environment.
Old 12-16-08, 10:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by yutnaka
pics coming soon...have to find a digital camera!! To my knowledge, PCV is not a vaccum but a positive pressure being release to the intake manifold for recirculation. Now if I did that to a vacuum line, and yes it would cause oil migration. My previous car was a Infiniti I30 and it benefitted greatly from this catch can mod. Ask the folks over at maxima.org forums. Its really not a problem, but more of a peace of mind for me. Knowing that oil is not getting burned with fuel and and air at the same time is a relief enough for me. Everyone could question why mods are not OEM, but that would ruin how we personalize our cars.
I don't know where you got that information. PCV - positive crankcase ventilation - uses a check valve on the cam cover to allow filtered air to be drawn through the engine. This allows the light hydrocarbons resulting from piston ring blowby to be burned along with the regular intake under part throttle and light load conditions. At WOT, under heavy load, the PCV valve closes and does not allow vapors into the intake. At idle and high vacuum, the vapors get burned.

Removing vacuum from the system means you will not purge the crankcase and your oil will contaminate more quickly because the humidity inside the engine condenses against the sides of the block and drips down to sit on top of your oil until your oil gets to full operating temperature and the water vapor is pulled into the intake along with the organic acids the water dissolved as a result of blowby. Failing to adequately ventilate the engine is very bad. Far worse than some oil mist at part throttle.

Mods are fine as long as they do something productive. This is not a mod for a street driven car. It is first illegal because you are tampering with an emissions control system. It is second foolish, because there is no benefit to it other than putting a can under your hood.

It sounds like someone once told you this was a good thing to do and you believe it. I'm sorry to say it's not a good idea for a lot of reasons.
Old 12-16-08, 10:50 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

^^^+1 i didnt know how to say it nicely lol

and doesnt the IS use a fixed orifice pcv? there no actual valve is there?
Old 12-17-08, 12:25 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

+2. You elaborated and detailed it more clearly with what I said earlier.
Old 12-17-08, 02:05 AM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

lobux is god.... i'd listen to him :P (or her)
Old 12-17-08, 04:18 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Not a good idea at all. You could be (and more than likely, are) significantly reducing your engines life span.
Old 06-29-12, 07:49 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this back to life.....I found this

http://drivegeek.wordpress.com/2011/...nd-a-solution/

I was wondering if yutnaka had any carbon buildup issue after this mod has been completed? Any performance issues? Gas mileage increase/decrease?

Quick Reply: PCV valve location for Catch Can