IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Can you help me decide which exterior and interior color combinations to go for:
Obsidian black exterior with black leather interior and dark gray (bird's eye maple) trim.
50.00%
Obsidian black exterior with black leather interior and golden brown (bird's eye maple) trim.
14.29%
Obsidian black exterior with ecru leather and dark gray (bird's eye maple) trim.
7.14%
Obsidian black exterior with ecru leather and golden brown (bird's eye maple) trim.
7.14%
Smoky granite mica exterior with black leather interior and dark gray (bird's eye maple) trim.
14.29%
Smoky granite mica exterior with black leather interior and golden brown (bird's eye maple) trim.
0%
Smoky granite mica exterior with ecru leather and dark gray (bird's eye maple) trim.
0%
Smoky granite mica exterior with ecru leather and golden brown (bird's eye maple) trim.
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Interested in buying a Lexus in future.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08 | 10:18 PM
maharaja
Rookie

Default Interested in buying a Lexus in future.

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, this is in fact my first post. I currently own a TSX 2008 which I'm planning to sell it sometime next year and interested in performance cars like the IS350 and 335. Still researching forums and the net.. I test drove the IS350 today and really liked the drive and the new 2009 interior upgrade. I was just wondering if anyone here has come from a 3 series? What are you takes on the IS350 as compared to the 3 series? I have yet to test drive the 3 series though, but I find their interior plain - which is okay.

Regarding purchasing the IS350, the dealer told me that it will take up to 4 months to get it from japan because I'm interested in the luxury package and ML Audio. Just wondering if it really takes that long? That's a long wait! And, what would be a good price for an IS350 with the following options -
1. Luxury plus package with 18' inch wheels
2. Navigation + ML (is the ML worth it?)
(I like in South Cal - San Diego to be specific)

Sorry if I asked too many questions..
Thanks.

Last edited by maharaja; 12-12-08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-13-08 | 12:14 AM
Hoovey689

First off, Welcome. I've owned my 08' IS350 (Black on black, luxury and nav package) for several months now, and I can tell you i'm not going back to my BMW 330i. The only thing that the bimmer has over the Lexus is handling. Thats it. Other than that, the bimmer doesn't hold a candle to the Lexus. I absolutely love the style, power and class that the IS350 has. The interior of the BMW is pretty cheap and not well put together. But I mean you've driven one today, so you know what i'm talking about. As for the price, you'll probably be paying anywhere from 40 to 43K (mine was 41) if you decide to go this rout. The bimmer costs closer to 50 with less options. Just food for thought. Good luck with your decision. Cheers!
Old 12-13-08 | 12:27 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Depends what you are looking for. It is not apple vs apple comparison. If you want speed and mods for cheap, sporty = 335. If you want comfort with a bit of sporty = is350. Keep in mind. IS350 is not a friendly-mod car. You are pretty much stuck to what the engine puts out. There are no FI that gives serious power.
Old 12-13-08 | 01:40 AM
maharaja
Rookie

thanks guys
I do like handling but not too crazy about it. That's why I think the Lexus will be a good choice for me and plus I do value reliability. Compared to my TSX, the Lexus was too good. I don't like the TSX anymore after driving the 350 and I think the 335 will have to do a really good job to convince me.

Regarding mods, I don't think I'm going to do a lot of huge mods to the IS350 (if I purchase one). I'm looking for stock 18'inch wheels and will probably do some tints.

BTW, how long did it take for your lexus to get delivered? And when you say 41-43K you mean OTD price with luxury package? Also, do you think Dec is a good time to buy the car or should I wait till Jan / Feb for the prices to fall due to the bad economy? I'm looking at the 2009 IS350. I haven't driven the 250 as I want more power now. Are the driving dynamic same for both the 250 and 350? People keep saying the Lexus has a light steering but the 2009 IS350 I drove had a decent tight steering (not as tight as my TSX - which I think is too tight), but pretty good.
Old 12-13-08 | 02:02 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

if you need a dealer send me a message i can refer you to a dealer and a sales guy up here in LA who will give a great deal.
Old 12-13-08 | 07:23 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

The BMW will feel sportier. The Lexus actually handles just as well as the BMW, but it's not as readily apparent. The Lexus will be quieter and smoother, not the traditional German sporty ride. BUt the IS will handle just as well the BMW, it just takes a little more pushing to discover it.

Lexus easily beats BMW on interior. It's far more luxurious, and the pricing is much better.

As for ordering a car, yes, that can take anywhere from 3 - 6 months, but a Lux pacakge IS 350 ought to exists somewhere in the USA, unless you want some odd color. They can probably arrange to trade for it, but you'll have to pay freight.

As for waiting, the car isn't going to cost the dealer any less in March. California isn't exactly a high-grossing market anyway, so I doubt you will see any significant savings. And the lease rates are awesome right now on IS's.
Old 12-13-08 | 07:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maharaja
Also, do you think Dec is a good time to buy the car or should I wait till Jan / Feb for the prices to fall due to the bad economy?
December is absolutely the best month to buy a new car. Late December is even better. Dealer's are trying to make their yearly sales figures look good.

Lou
Old 12-13-08 | 02:54 PM
maharaja
Rookie

Thanks, will be following up with the dealers. If I get a good deal by end this month, I'm gonna pull it off on a IS350.
Old 12-13-08 | 03:29 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

thinking of buying used?? hehe....
Old 12-13-08 | 04:11 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Thats what I was thinking.. I like the 08's cuz of the tail lights, but the interior is better on the 09's! Lexus all the way baby..
Old 12-13-08 | 05:14 PM
maharaja
Rookie

Originally Posted by radicalrev
thinking of buying used?? hehe....
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a new car.
Old 12-13-08 | 05:14 PM
maharaja
Rookie

Originally Posted by Phil888
Thats what I was thinking.. I like the 08's cuz of the tail lights, but the interior is better on the 09's! Lexus all the way baby..
I think the 09 tail lights look much better in person and the interior is just simply
Old 12-13-08 | 05:16 PM
maharaja
Rookie

Does anyone know if they changed the steering of the 09? It had good feedback, in fact just the right amount needed - not too stiff not too light. I asked the dealer the same question and he couldn't give me a proper reply. All he said was that it's a 350, so its gotta be sportier than 250. They also made the interior color more brighter, like the fabric and dash board materials.
Old 12-13-08 | 05:45 PM
SplyTek
Driver School Candidate

Delivery time definately takes a while, at least for us here in Canada. I ordered my car (2009 IS 250, RWD) in August with the promise that it would be here in mid-November as that's when I was returning from Afghanistan. The delivery date is now late December, more than four months later.

Worth the wait but a bit of a pain in the butt.
Old 12-13-08 | 06:36 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

just my 2 cents... i like the stance of the 335i... but after driving the IS... i would still take the IS.. first because of the cost..it can be much more cheaper the IS 350 would take around 2-3 months to come... seems that it is about fully-loaded.... yeah.... but i do know that there are some ermms...... stock... over at SO-CAL....

Quick Reply: Interested in buying a Lexus in future.