IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dilemma...post accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 01:10 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

they performed an alignment and everything was ok. i dunno if they actually looked underneath to determine if there was no suspension damage, or if they're inferring that from the alignment specs. the shop said that either the people who put on my wheels or lowered my car must've rolled the fender OR it was always rubbing and eventually the lip bent itself up. first is not true because i was there and watched them work on my car. 2nd can't be true either cuz i would obviously hear the rubbing when i'm driving. the guy said since it's a lexus/toyota shop, they put it back to oem specs, meaning the quarter panel is back to oem specs and they won't customize anything in order to clear the rubbing. seems to me that the quarter panel is off maybe 1 or 2 mm despite all the lines and seams lining up and being flush. either that, or somehow my suspension was tweaked and is giving me more positive camber than before...
Old 12-23-08, 01:16 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
^^^ Yes.

They need to bring your car to pre-collision condition. Regardless of which, it should be how it was before it got hit.

What did they exactly change for those damages? Any suspension damage?

IMHO the car never should have left the shop with the fender rubbing the tire.
If it didn't rub before it shouldn't rub after, whether or not the car was lowered.

sounds like they put it back together, painted it and then put the wheel on and now they want to make it your problem.

The car is now undriveable, they made it that way. Your MVD may have a dealers/repair dispute dept. You might want to check procedures to cover your ***. You may end up having to have another shop repair the repair and then be forced to sue.

I do know that when I just lowered my '02 ES300 I got a call from the mechanic that the car now had a rub and we had to figurre out the problem. It resolved very quickly, the i'm making is he putthe tires on,saw there was a problem and was honest about it and we figured out how to resolve it.

THE CAR NEVER SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE SHOP IN THIS CONDITION!!!!
Old 12-24-08, 12:03 AM
AllBlackon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fyi

FYI from someone who is in the industry

from my understanding you stated that the quarter was replaced, have them prove it.

you might just have lots of filler and bondo....

also does the shop guarantee the work for the life of the vehicle? if not then you went to the wrong place.... call the BAR-bureau of automotive repair (a quick google should do the trick)

for future reference

FYI - if you had a headache, soreness, or any discomfort, that by definition of insurance companies is an INJURY.

if you need a good personal injury/liability/accident attorney in Southern California PM me, i know a few good offices...

attorney wont charge if they don't win
chiropractor wont charge if attorney's don't win
either way you win
Old 12-24-08, 05:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AllBlackon

FYI - if you had a headache, soreness, or any discomfort, that by definition of insurance companies is an INJURY.

if you need a good personal injury/liability/accident attorney in Southern California PM me, i know a few good offices...

attorney wont charge if they don't win
chiropractor wont charge if attorney's don't win
either way you win

why is this going to now go in the direction of suing someone someone always out to make a quick buck
Old 12-24-08, 08:00 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

the work was done at an inhouse toyota/lexus bodyshop. i trust that they replaced the quarter panel instead of bondo-ing it. they guarantee the paint and work for the life of the car as well.

i took the wheel off yesterday and took some measurements of the depth of the wheel well. the fender sticks out EXACTLY the same amount on the passenger side than it does on the driver side. the width of the lip of the fender is also the same on both sides. this eliminates the idea that the quarter panel is off. only thing it could be is the suspension. i went to an alignment place yesterday and the morons there didn't give me a print out of the rear wheels... just the fronts. so i gotta go back again today and get the rears done. either that, or the wheel that a 3rd party redid somehow gave me a different wheel that looks exactly the same but with different offsets. or the tire that they gave me is wider than the printed 275 on the sidewall.
Old 12-24-08, 11:26 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
the work was done at an inhouse toyota/lexus bodyshop. i trust that they replaced the quarter panel instead of bondo-ing it. they guarantee the paint and work for the life of the car as well.

i took the wheel off yesterday and took some measurements of the depth of the wheel well. the fender sticks out EXACTLY the same amount on the passenger side than it does on the driver side. the width of the lip of the fender is also the same on both sides. this eliminates the idea that the quarter panel is off. only thing it could be is the suspension. i went to an alignment place yesterday and the morons there didn't give me a print out of the rear wheels... just the fronts. so i gotta go back again today and get the rears done. either that, or the wheel that a 3rd party redid somehow gave me a different wheel that looks exactly the same but with different offsets. or the tire that they gave me is wider than the printed 275 on the sidewall.
I bet the rearend has been knocked to one side slightly, you need to make sure it is centered in the chassis and square to the front wheels
Old 12-24-08, 11:40 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
why is this going to now go in the direction of suing someone someone always out to make a quick buck
This is the reason why car insurance is so expensive
Old 06-03-09, 11:12 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

update: so i pulled back the wheel well liner and saw this:

is this acceptable repairs? they replaced the outside quarter panel but just pulled out and smoothed the inside wheelhouse panel.

here are some other shots:

the fender lip has separated and the inside sheet metal has bent up.

what the other un-damaged side looks like.

Old 06-04-09, 01:30 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

bring it back to the bodyshop and have them fix it again.....good luck
Old 06-04-09, 07:32 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats BS, tell the insurance the bodyshop doesnt want to fix the problem and bring it to another shop. It should not rub at all even tho you have coilovers on. It sounds like they dont want to fix the fenders for you. They have to replaced the inner liners and pull the fenders and probably roll it to adjust them. It sounds like they dont know what they're doing at all or just to lazy to do it right. Go to Marcos or M1. Let me know if you need some help.. GL
Old 06-04-09, 10:35 AM
Phiber
Lead Lap

wow. seem like the body shop slacked off.. bring it to another body shop.
Old 06-04-09, 01:10 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is SO unacceptable. I would be very upset. Go somewhere else and get it fixed correctly.
Old 06-05-09, 09:30 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I highly doubt they replaced that quarter panel and actually used bondo. To actually test this get a small refrigerator magnet and a piece of paper. Now go to your car place the paper on the damaged area and now stick the magnet to the car. Now start pulling the paper around the damaged area if at any point the magnet falls off you my friend have a bondoed up quarter panel.

As for the rubbing issue I'm pretty sure you either have a bent arms or the subframe is bent some where.