IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID problems. Please Help!!! did everything, still no go

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 01:50 AM
blitzdmkiv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my factory HID had the exact same issue, decided to change the bulbs to 8000k and fixed the issue, the bulb is likely on it's way out
Old 01-02-09, 04:43 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldnt leave your lights on auto with Aftermarket HIDs, there is a huge Voltage drop when you start your car which can damage your ballast.

The guy who has my Old 06 IS says that his ballast went bad, so I researched some HID kits. Wow they are cheap as heck compared to 2 years ago. $55/pair on ebay. $80 for slim ballast kits. Anyone try these out?
Old 01-02-09, 10:18 AM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=tqlla3k;4128123]You shouldnt leave your lights on auto with Aftermarket HIDs, there is a huge Voltage drop when you start your car which can damage your ballast.
QUOTE]

yea, when i first got them i used to leave my lights on auto. then my friend told me not to, so i just turned them off during the day and turned it on at night.

i checked all my wirings and bulbs and seems like its just my bulb thats going bad. 2 days ago, ALL DAY, the lights stayed on. but yesterday as soon as i turned my lights on, about 30 seconds to 1 minute later it would just go off. it flickers when i turn on the lights then it goes out. i'll replace the bubls and see what happens.
Old 01-02-09, 09:42 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
You shouldnt leave your lights on auto with Aftermarket HIDs, there is a huge Voltage drop when you start your car which can damage your ballast.
Yes, he is right, you shouldn't leave it on auto with aftermarket HIDs unless you have a wire harness. Do you have a wire harness for your kit? That could be your problem.
Old 01-03-09, 12:39 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

humm i leave mines on auto all the time the umm fogs are hid and i swapped to mobile hid headlight bulbs too and they still running strong after 1 year of use.
Old 01-08-09, 11:39 PM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

so i did some tests, drove around and everything.
wires are connected properly.

now when i turn on the lights, it goes on for 10-15 secs, flickers and dies. i would say 1 out of 10 times it would stay on the whole ride.

note: i switched the bulbs, and only stationary. while stationary, i had no problems. the wires are in grommet and cant replace passanger side to driver side to do a driving test with lights on.

so does this mean its bad bulb or ballast?
Old 01-09-09, 05:56 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Is this a stated fact or are you going by what others say? I've had my lights on auto since I've had the car, granted I have OEM HIDs but my fogs are obviously aftermarket and haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-09-09, 11:20 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Its gotta be the ballast and remember to change your fuse to 30amp, it should help stop the flickering if you have that problem.. And i'm also running on auto and no problems.. Hey does anybody know how to disable the DRL??
Old 01-09-09, 05:57 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't change the amperage, that's what the fuse is there for, to protect whatever from frying.
Old 01-10-09, 02:24 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same problem, I have AFS but my passenger headlight stays on for like five minutes and then shuts off. The driver light does it every blue moon, but not that often. The passenger light does it every night. So here are some things I have tried.

1. Noticed that the passenger bulb turns off on hard stops, with AFS on.

2. Turned off AFS, helped for an hour and then the passenger light shut off.

3. Listened for the HSSS on the passenger light once it turned off and didn't hear it, DOES THAT MEAN IT"S THE BALLAST AND NOT THE BULB?????????????

4. Ordered new bulbs, waiting on their arrival which should solve the problem if its the bulb. Fingers Crossed!

5. How do you replace the OEM ballast???????????? Someone said the dealer had to order them a new headlight assembly, $800! Someone please help!

NEW OWNERS SHOULD KNOW THIS, AND NOT DO LIKE I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. AVOID SETTING THE SENSITIVITY OF YOUR LIGHTS TO THE LOWEST SETTING AS POSSIBLE WHICH WILL SHORTEN THE LIFE SPAN OF YOUR LIGHTS. THE DEALER DOESN'T MENTION THAT THE CHANGE WILL GIVE YOUR HEADLIGHTS A LIFESPAN OF A YEAR.

2. DON'T USE THE AUTO SETTING.

MAYBE IF I WOULD READ UP ON THIS A LITTLE EARLIER I WOULD STILL HAVE FULLY FUNCTIONAL LIGHTS AT NIGHT.
Old 01-10-09, 02:34 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the link where someone had a ballast go out and the dealer had to replace the whole headlight assembly!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...llast-out.html

my car is out of warranty so im looking for an alternative if possible, like replace the bad ballast with an aftermarket ballast or something, please help!