IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Feedback on Vais MultiMediaLinQ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 11:43 PM
Enginerd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Feedback on Vais MultiMediaLinQ?

I'm considering ordering this unit because I like the idea of multiple ways to source the music (not just I-Pod). Doe's anyone here use this unit, if so, how do you like it? I'm looking for something I could use for the next 3 + years without any worries. I figure there will be USB flash drives and USB hard drives available for a while. I-Pods seem to change so often these days, and personally I'm not crazy about I tunes, logging into accounts, and their specific media format. I guess I like the flexibility idea this unit seems to provide, but would like some one to verify. The current price is $275 and I would use a 8-16 gig USB flash drive, which is way cheaper than me buying the SL2i for $200+ and an I pod for another $200-$300...any thoughts? By the way, i don't care about video playback as I don't really use it and I have ML so I have a couple of emergency DVD's in the glove box if I get stuck in a snowstorm or something. Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Enginerd; 12-27-08 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 12:36 AM
anach
Driver School Candidate

I just ordered one and installing it (hopefully) next week. I'll try & give some insight after I've played with it for a while...

I do have to say though... I don't think I'm gonna put a hard drive in it until they streamline the process to get music on & off the internal drive. I'm just gonna keep a bunch of flash drives with random music handy as well as my ipod.
Old 12-28-08, 09:33 AM
Enginerd
Driver

I was also thinking of running a few USB flash drives, or maybe just a USB hard drive, so I could carry it upstairs and update it, then plug it back into the unit in the car when updated.
Old 01-05-09, 11:46 PM
anach
Driver School Candidate

So far... not so good. I installed the multimedialinq three days ago and its been working sporadically since then. I've been in contact with their technical support to figure out what's wrong but I personally believe I may have to send it back for a replacement. As it is right now, the unit sporadically picks up if there is something connected to the usb. I guess this is the price of being so "cutting edge"
Old 01-23-09, 05:02 PM
anach
Driver School Candidate

Just an update... I sent the unit back and the engineers did some diagnostics & patched up the firmware to fix the problems. It is now working as advertised. If anyone has any questions regarding functionality, feel free to ask.
Old 01-23-09, 07:04 PM
Enginerd
Driver

I installed this unit a couple of weeks ago and lovin it! Installation went fine with the exception of removing that stupid center vent piece (followed NAV hack instructions). I used a USB extension cable and placed a 16 gig flash card in the center console. I took lots of pictures and will probably post a DIY on the Vais forum when I get a chance. Decided to perform the NAV hack while I was at it. Everything works wonderfully! The only thing I can't wait for is the firmware update providing advanced search functions, according to Vais about 2-3 months out. This is a great product for anyone that does not have an I-Pod or does not care for I-Tunes (there are a few of us, I know, hard to believe).
Old 01-24-09, 10:13 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed one but it wouldn't program so i sent it back.
Vaistech called me and told me the dip switches were installed upside down so when I put it in program mode it was actually taking it out of program mode. It could only happen to me.
Old 01-24-09, 10:59 PM
Enginerd
Driver

Well, hopefully you will get it working now. Let us know how you like it when you get it goin!
Old 05-22-09, 10:09 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Enginerd
I installed this unit a couple of weeks ago and lovin it! Installation went fine with the exception of removing that stupid center vent piece (followed NAV hack instructions). I used a USB extension cable and placed a 16 gig flash card in the center console. I took lots of pictures and will probably post a DIY on the Vais forum when I get a chance. Decided to perform the NAV hack while I was at it. Everything works wonderfully! The only thing I can't wait for is the firmware update providing advanced search functions, according to Vais about 2-3 months out. This is a great product for anyone that does not have an I-Pod or does not care for I-Tunes (there are a few of us, I know, hard to believe).
Thanks for the write up. Just bought one a few minutes ago, should be here at the end of the next week. I have an 8gb iPod Touch but I like the idea of having a 320gb USB drive for the same reasons you stated. And for only $90 (link here) it's a LOT cheaper and I can use MY folder structure, not Apple's.

//