IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

TPMS? not gona get a new set.. now what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 02:12 PM
stooky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS? not gona get a new set.. now what?

I have a quick question or two.

I just got new rims on my is350 and i dont think ill be going through the trouble of take it the tpms out of the old rims and putting them in the new ones.

As i am riding without them right now is my indicator suppose to say "Check System" with a tire pressure sign under it? or is it only suppose to say low tire like it did the first few days?

Also is the TPMS Pipe the only way to get ride of the warning signs without mounting a new set? Can i take get rid of the warning indicators in any other way?

Lastly, if all else fails anyone know where i could grab a set of new tpms for a reasonable price -_-

Thanks!
Old 01-01-09, 02:46 PM
Smooth 1
Driver

You should pay the fee to dismount and remove the tpms sensors in your stock rims. And just either make the tpms pipe, or get a small tubeless tire and put them inside it, or throw them in your spare, and remember you can't use it if you get a flat.

There is no way to turn off the tpms warning signal that I know of. And a new set is going to cost you around $3-$400 bucks, and your going to have to go to the dealer and have them "registered" to your car again. And your still going to have to make the tpms pipe or small tire fix anyway.
Old 01-01-09, 07:11 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to get a set of used TPMS off ebay or the CL marketplace. If you do it one or two at a time instead of a complete set, you may be able to pick them up for cheap.

Then, just take to your local Toyota dealership to have registered.......should cost less than the lexus dealership, assuming that your local toyota dealership has someone knowledgeable in registering TPMS (which they should).

While it will cost some money, to me it's worth it not having the light lit up. Plus, you get to keep your original set of wheels/tires intact in case you ever want to go back to stock.

Last edited by mikes rx; 01-01-09 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 07:27 PM
DLam
Lead Lap

check ebay. i got a whole set for about 100 bucks
Old 01-01-09, 07:36 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DLam
check ebay. i got a whole set for about 100 bucks
+1 got a set shipped to me for 110$. Got 2 sets from the same seller and used one on the IS and Vik bought the others from me for his IS. I would get them and just have both sets programmed into your car. I would use them to protect your rims just in case
Old 01-01-09, 09:44 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Smooth 1
You should pay the fee to dismount and remove the tpms sensors in your stock rims. And just either make the tpms pipe, or get a small tubeless tire and put them inside it, or throw them in your spare, and remember you can't use it if you get a flat.

There is no way to turn off the tpms warning signal that I know of. And a new set is going to cost you around $3-$400 bucks, and your going to have to go to the dealer and have them "registered" to your car again. And your still going to have to make the tpms pipe or small tire fix anyway.
3-400 for a set of TPMS? Are yours made of gold or what?

a little over $100 on ebay.
Old 01-01-09, 10:18 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, you should have asked about TMPS swapping before mounting your new wheels/tires. When you get the TMPS installed, you have to pay toyota/lex to register them... then you will probably have to rebalance your tire.

IMO, your best bet would be to just to take your old wheels to a shop and have them swap the TMPS over, then remount and balance your current wheels.
Old 01-01-09, 11:05 PM
MsLeng
Driver

OK here's my best tip...for everyone who needs to have their tpms reset at the dealer...because I just got mine done.

Before you put the new sensors that need to be registered onto the wheels....be sure to note the serial numbers associated with which tire its going into (front driverside blah blah...) When you go to the dealer..provide them with each of the serial numbers associating it with which wheel they belong to.

This should save you about a hundred to two hundred bucks at the dealer...Otherwise, they will charge you about $55 (depending on the dealership) for each wheel that needs to be unmounted to get the serial numbers, mounted and balanced...when you can probably do this a lot cheaper elsewhere.

All they do is input that serial number in their system....

Just a thought for saving some cash and time too.
Old 01-01-09, 11:20 PM
stooky
Pole Position

thanks for the input guys! one more question. the tpms posted on ebay, are they all the same if it says toyota tpms like does it matter if it is off a scion xb or toyota tundra?
Old 01-13-09, 08:05 AM
Zeus69
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, saw this thread late and i have a dumb question... Where does one look to pick up one of these small "tubeless" tires?
Old 01-13-09, 09:05 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or throw them in your spare, and remember you can't use it if you get a flat.
Just a quick correction - I threw my TPMS into my spare tire and have used the spare tire when I got a flat. So, it doesn't become useless.

That said, I drove like a grandma until I got to the shop.
Old 01-13-09, 09:10 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Zeus69
Ok, saw this thread late and i have a dumb question... Where does one look to pick up one of these small "tubeless" tires?
Other members have used replacement wheelbarrow wheels - those should be easy to find.
Old 01-13-09, 09:47 AM
Smooth 1
Driver

Originally Posted by IS250_6Spd
3-400 for a set of TPMS? Are yours made of gold or what?

a little over $100 on ebay.
Retail is about 90 bucks each. I know about Ebay and all, but I'm never really comfortable with that, so that's why I qouted the price of 3-400 bucks

Originally Posted by Zeus69
I went to Walmart and bought a small tubeless tire, with the rim and all it measures about 8-10 inches across. Cost me about 25 bucks. I deflated it, tossed in the sensors and reinflated it to about 40 psi. And I keep that in the trunk. So my spare is untouched. I haven't had any issues with this method at all.

Originally Posted by montgb
Just a quick correction - I threw my TPMS into my spare tire and have used the spare tire when I got a flat. So, it doesn't become useless.

That said, I drove like a grandma until I got to the shop.
I would still never recommend driving on your spare with 4 loose TPMS sensors inside it.
Old 01-13-09, 10:10 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

I would still never recommend driving on your spare with 4 loose TPMS sensors inside it.
I'm with you on that one - I never said it was a good idea! But that's what I get for taking the easy way out and not getting a separate tire or pipe bomb for my TPMS.
Old 01-13-09, 06:11 PM
stooky
Pole Position

hmmm small tubeless tires seem pretty good dont know what they are but if they have em at walmart guess thats where im going, but first ordering a set of those ebay ones my questions still is even if the tpms is for like a scion xb or toyota camry it still works right? and how much do they charge just to register it or whatever at the dealership?

Quick Reply: TPMS? not gona get a new set.. now what?