IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problem with delivery of new car

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 05:43 AM
shawndover
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I placed my order in early September, right after the 09 options packages and prices were released. I negotiated the price based on invoice. The car took a full four months to reach the dealer. The dealer was generally a pain in the neck to deal with on the special order (and Lexus provides very poor tracking along the way), but the car ultimately arrived as ordered.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If your dealer wants to charge you extra to special order, find a better dealer.

The tricky parts are:

Finding a competent dealer

and

In your case, getting it in September.

The new model year begins around then, and the first new cars will typically show up at the very end of September or very start of October. (My local dealer got the very first 08s on their lot October 3rd for example, some west coast guys saw their 08s a week or so earlier).

So you'll want to get a '10 model at that point, but might have to wait till the end of the month/start of the next to get it... and you won't know for sure what changes are being made for the model year until shortly before that (but given the 09 face lift they're unlikely to be major).

Anyway... IF you find a competent dealer who will special order without making it painful (and I can recommend one, but they're in NC) it pretty much works like this, or did for me:

You agree on a price that will be X dollars above invoice (X was very very small in my case...and given the current economy it should be for you too). Don't even let them discuss MSRP with you, it's a meaningless number.

Then you tell them -exactly- the car you want.

Get all of it in writing, including all the optiions and the price.

I'd suggest late June (after the 20th) or July (before the 20th) for your order... since that'll mean your order is submitted in the July order cycle, doing it any earlier means you might risk ending up with the very last of the 09s.

Then, just wait.
Old 01-12-09, 07:59 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

good luck and congrats on ur new car

just be on the lookout for any other abnormalities and you should be fine
Old 01-12-09, 10:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shawndover
I placed my order in early September, right after the 09 options packages and prices were released. I negotiated the price based on invoice. The car took a full four months to reach the dealer. The dealer was generally a pain in the neck to deal with on the special order (and Lexus provides very poor tracking along the way), but the car ultimately arrived as ordered.
If it took 4 months I'm inclined to think they did something wrong (or sat on it for a bit)... Orders get submitted on the 20th each month, then get built, then shipped over on boat, then transported from port to the various dealers on trains/trucks/etc

Now, if your order doesn't go in till the 21st, it's not "really" in until the 20th of the following month, so you can "lose" a month there I guess... but even then it ought not take more than 3 months.

As to tracking I just had my dealers word until I think about 3 weeks before delivery, at that point he had a VIN for me and it was "on the boat" heading over... was another couple days from port to the dealership... I think the total process from order to picking the car up ran about 2.5 months, marginally skewed by it being the first batch of the model year (08s)

In any event, the good news is you got the car you wanted, even if it took a while... and as long as you have the issue you noticed on pickup documented it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-05-10, 02:38 PM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

Originally Posted by arnieosp
If you have to look inside the wheel well to find that thing, I woudn't worry about it.

Question: What's the process for specially ordering an IS. How long did you have to wait? Did they charge any "special-order fee"? How much of a deposit did they want?

I am thinking about ordering a White w/tan interior and a whole bunch of features. I want to drive it in Septembe, so I am trying to figure out timing for the ordering process.

Thanks.
Looks like you are from Oregon, you may want to check my post on order tracking. I ordered an IS350C from a California dealer. Much better price than i could get in oregon/washington. I can give details and a recommendation if you want to personal message me. Car is not in until around Feb 20 but so far all has gone pretty well. i placed the order Nov 20th, 2009
Old 02-05-10, 03:56 PM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dotkong
ask for a free extended warranty and drive it home =]

Do NOT do what this person suggested for a number of reasons not to exclude, they would probably look at you like your crazy. I'm always amused at the " oh, they didn't wash your windows when they performed your oil change, ASK FOR A FREE CAR" mentality.

The dealership didn't build the car. They simply accepted it from the port which means they have nothing to do with any minor defects. You can always refuse the car in a situation like this but, it's not a big deal.

Enjoy the new ride
Old 02-05-10, 06:45 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if this guy is still around... guess we should ask him how he like the new ride... since its a year old thread
Old 02-05-10, 07:20 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Too late now, but there's no way I would have taken ownership of a car that was clearly damaged and then repaired incorrectly. At a minimum, they should have knocked off additional $$ or extended the warranty.

It's pathetic that this got through the dealership's QC check to begin with.
Old 02-05-10, 07:23 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusRuss
The dealership didn't build the car. They simply accepted it from the port which means they have nothing to do with any minor defects. You can always refuse the car in a situation like this but, it's not a big deal.
I guess it just depends on expectations. I do not consider improper assembly and subsequent damage (crease) to be a "minor defect" on a new car.

You guys sure are forgiving with your hard earned money. C&D would have ripped Lexus a new rear end on fit & finish for that one.
Old 02-08-10, 08:51 AM
LexusRuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 15951
I guess it just depends on expectations. I do not consider improper assembly and subsequent damage (crease) to be a "minor defect" on a new car.

You guys sure are forgiving with your hard earned money. C&D would have ripped Lexus a new rear end on fit & finish for that one.

"you can refuse the vehicle" - buyers choice.