IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil Change - what, how much, and where

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 03:19 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I searched and found this topic, so forgive the slight ressurection, but is no one concerned about voiding warranty on not taking the car to a dealer for these types of maintenance items?

I spoke to the service manager who stated I'm welcome to do it myself, but if they find a problem they determine is a result of my "screw up" on the oil change they will not cover it. I know I know, how can you really screw up an oil change, but my concern would be the dealer trying to give me the shaft saying I overtorqued the filter, or the problem was the result of lack of oil change, since I can't "prove" when I changed it.

Any concerns on this?
Old 02-10-09, 03:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I won't offer to do it for you since my billing rate is minimum of $100/hour.

My local dealer will come to your office in mobile service van and will do it for $69, plus top off other fluids, etc.
Old 02-10-09, 05:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ilocke
I searched and found this topic, so forgive the slight ressurection, but is no one concerned about voiding warranty on not taking the car to a dealer for these types of maintenance items?

I spoke to the service manager who stated I'm welcome to do it myself, but if they find a problem they determine is a result of my "screw up" on the oil change they will not cover it. I know I know, how can you really screw up an oil change, but my concern would be the dealer trying to give me the shaft saying I overtorqued the filter, or the problem was the result of lack of oil change, since I can't "prove" when I changed it.

Any concerns on this?

Why can't you prove it? Do you not keep the dated sales receipt when you buy the oil and filter?

Regardless of which, in order to legally deny a warranty claim, THEY have to prove that you did NOT. (or that you DID do something that -caused- the problem.
Old 02-10-09, 06:22 PM
09 LEX 250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

redline 5-20 ftw
Old 02-10-09, 08:06 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i just paid $85 for mobil 1 and free full serv car wash....
Old 02-11-09, 01:42 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why can't you prove it? Do you not keep the dated sales receipt when you buy the oil and filter?

Regardless of which, in order to legally deny a warranty claim, THEY have to prove that you did NOT. (or that you DID do something that -caused- the problem.
Well, since buying oil does not equal changing oil, I figured there might be concern with the legitimacy of proof.

Interesting opinion on the warranty claim, but I wonder what constitutes proof on their end. I wonder if they really do have to prove I didn't change the oil, or if they only need to point out I have no proof that I did.

Oh well - just wondering if anyone else was concerned. I'll probably end up just doing it myself.
Old 02-11-09, 02:23 PM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds to me like your dealer is (surprise) trying to intimidate you into using their services.
Old 02-11-09, 02:37 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i've been going thru this thread and warranty issues aside here are some of my thoughts:

DIY vs taking it somewhere:
Look guys, yes DIY is very easy but not everyone is mechanicly inclined like others so they pay for it, nothing wrong with that.

example: Look were all using computers here to chat on this board, so how many of you are on a 'build your own' rig vs teir 1 (dell/hp/sony)? So for those of you not on a DIY rig why dont you make one yourself its EASY, all you need besides the hardware is a #2 philipshead screwdriver, arctic silver, an old business card for the arctic silver and a pair of tweezers for the jumpers, how hard is that?

So... if you 'look down' on some guy for not being able to change his own oil, i'll 'look down' on you for not being able to build your own puter...

Taking oil to a shop:
How do you know that the guy is putting in your 'higher grade' oil? It would be so easy for them to put the case of the good stuff in their trunk and fill you up with their house oil... course if you sit there and watch them the whole time~ no problem.

being lazy:
well... theres a reason why most americans are overweight and its NOT cuz of our genes...
Old 02-11-09, 03:32 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

BTW, I build my OWN PC !
Old 02-11-09, 04:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ilocke

Interesting opinion on the warranty claim, but I wonder what constitutes proof on their end. I wonder if they really do have to prove I didn't change the oil, or if they only need to point out I have no proof that I did.
The Mangunson Moss act, a federal law, requires that the dealer -prove- that the failure is -caused- by something you did (or failed to do). The burden of proof is 100% on him. Without doing so, he can not legally deny your warranty claim.

If you wanna be uberparanoid you can also keep a logbook when you do your own stuff... dated logbooks and diarys are generally admissible unless they can provide some evidence as to them being falsified.

(disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, just somebody who has never had a warranty claim on anything denied, but HAS had to quote the MM act to accomplish it)
Old 02-11-09, 05:01 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I agree with Kurtz. I change my own oil in every vehicle I own, and have never had a warranty issue be denied. I refuse to pay what dealers or service centers want for a quality oil change (Mobil 1 for me) when I know I can do it in less than a half hour for 1/3 the price or better.

Oh, and I too build my own PC's.

Big Mack
Old 02-11-09, 09:06 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The Mangunson Moss act, a federal law, requires that the dealer -prove- that the failure is -caused- by something you did (or failed to do). The burden of proof is 100% on him. Without doing so, he can not legally deny your warranty claim.

If you wanna be uberparanoid you can also keep a logbook when you do your own stuff... dated logbooks and diarys are generally admissible unless they can provide some evidence as to them being falsified.

(disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, just somebody who has never had a warranty claim on anything denied, but HAS had to quote the MM act to accomplish it)
Thanks for the info. I think that is sufficient to make me comfortable, haha. I've got my first oil change coming up, so it looks like I'll be doing it myself. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-09, 01:45 AM
UCLAJimmy
Pole Position

EZ-LUBE is a cheap place to change oil. It cost 25 dollars to change oil with a coupon. They use mobil oil.
Old 03-07-09, 08:37 AM
Hollings
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
Mobile 1 : Walmart
Oil Filter : Toyota dealer (if you can find a discount coupon, you should be able to get it around $4 a piece)
For reference: Mobil 1 5w30 is $26.00 for a 5-quart jug at Wal-Mart in Arkansas. I also bought 4 filters and 4 oil plug gaskets (seriously, for 60 cents or whatever they cost you might as well) from Sewell Online. I got enough for 4 changes so the shipping doesn't eat your savings.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My local dealer will come to your office in mobile service van and will do it for $69, plus top off other fluids, etc.
That's impressive!
Old 05-14-09, 09:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
i've been going thru this thread and warranty issues aside here are some of my thoughts:

DIY vs taking it somewhere:
Look guys, yes DIY is very easy but not everyone is mechanicly inclined like others so they pay for it, nothing wrong with that.

example: Look were all using computers here to chat on this board, so how many of you are on a 'build your own' rig vs teir 1 (dell/hp/sony)? So for those of you not on a DIY rig why dont you make one yourself its EASY, all you need besides the hardware is a #2 philipshead screwdriver, arctic silver, an old business card for the arctic silver and a pair of tweezers for the jumpers, how hard is that?

So... if you 'look down' on some guy for not being able to change his own oil, i'll 'look down' on you for not being able to build your own puter...

Taking oil to a shop:
How do you know that the guy is putting in your 'higher grade' oil? It would be so easy for them to put the case of the good stuff in their trunk and fill you up with their house oil... course if you sit there and watch them the whole time~ no problem.

being lazy:
well... theres a reason why most americans are overweight and its NOT cuz of our genes...
Originally Posted by Big Mack
I agree with Kurtz. I change my own oil in every vehicle I own, and have never had a warranty issue be denied. I refuse to pay what dealers or service centers want for a quality oil change (Mobil 1 for me) when I know I can do it in less than a half hour for 1/3 the price or better.

Oh, and I too build my own PC's.

Big Mack
Build my own PCs, my own network, secure networks for Fortune 2000 companies...yeah, computers are easy.

Change my own oil, build my own engines, and port my own heads (and some select customers). It's pretty easy too, but tiring for sure. I also subscribe to TIS so I can be sure at least the Scion/Toyota/Lexus cars I own and work on are done right by the book (anybody else dodge the price increase on May 5th? Up to $400 a year now, but still cheaper than any other manufacturer by a factor of at least 5).

Quick Reply: Oil Change - what, how much, and where