IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML Audio System Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 12:17 PM
rmorrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Audio System Question

I am looking to buy a IS350 in the next 90days. I wanted to hear from the audiophile guys on how good the ML system is. I have always had aftermarket gear but like the idea of keeping something simple and integrated now. Love the factory look of the nav, steering controls, bluetooth etc.. and dont want to loose that..

I am coming from a Audi and 350z Both with DLS Iridium speakers and A series amps. thoose systems sounded great but take a lot of work for the installation and tunning to get them just right.

I have always been a little hesitant to go to the dealer with some CDs to listen to, but want to know if the ML upgrade is worth it or should I look at the package down from ML still with nav and keep that HU but use a JL Cleansweep with aftermarket sub etc..

Any direction would be great. I am sure there are some people on the boards here that are audiophiles and have any opinion one way or the other.

I have not really listened to the ML system yet, but can tell you that I listened to the B&O system in my brother in law A5 and loaved it, felt like it would have used a little more bottom end, maybe an aftermarket sub or something but overall the system was great. Anyone here been able to compare that to the ML?

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-09, 01:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorrow
I am looking to buy a IS350 in the next 90days. I wanted to hear from the audiophile guys on how good the ML system is. I have always had aftermarket gear but like the idea of keeping something simple and integrated now. Love the factory look of the nav, steering controls, bluetooth etc.. and dont want to loose that..

I am coming from a Audi and 350z Both with DLS Iridium speakers and A series amps. thoose systems sounded great but take a lot of work for the installation and tunning to get them just right.

I have always been a little hesitant to go to the dealer with some CDs to listen to, but want to know if the ML upgrade is worth it or should I look at the package down from ML still with nav and keep that HU but use a JL Cleansweep with aftermarket sub etc..

Any direction would be great. I am sure there are some people on the boards here that are audiophiles and have any opinion one way or the other.

I have not really listened to the ML system yet, but can tell you that I listened to the B&O system in my brother in law A5 and loaved it, felt like it would have used a little more bottom end, maybe an aftermarket sub or something but overall the system was great. Anyone here been able to compare that to the ML?

Thanks in advance.
There's only 2 audio options on the 2IS-

ML, or not ML.

Nav is a seperate option.

Now, it gets weird because there's really four total ways to order a car-

Regular stereo without nav (base model)- $0

ML without nav (what I have)- $940 MSRP, $752 Cost

Regular stereo WITH nav (probably most common config on the 2IS)- Somewhere around 2500 bucks, check lexus.com for MSRP, edmunds probably has cost price.

ML WITH nav (which swaps the 6-disc CD changer of for a 6-disc DVD changer and gives you the ability to listen to DVD-A discs and watch DVD movies when parked)- Somewhere around $3000- check Lexus/Edmunds for exact #s.

I had no interest in the OEM nav system, aftermarket nav already provided more features for 1/10th the cost (including bluetooth), and no interest in watching movies while driving, so I saved $2300 and got the ML without nav setup... still has the ML amp, 14 speakers, etc though.

It's the best sounding OEM system I've heard, though I haven't heard the A5 system specifically.

My previous car has a multi-thousands system in it, mostly Alpine for the separates and HU and JL audio for the subs... the ML system is -nearly- as good for massively less cost (and hassle, given the pain replacing the stock HU is). It was easily worth the $752 and I don't think the after market can touch it for that price.

If you like a lot of bass it's easy enough to just add another sub.

Now, if I were comparing it to the $3000 cost of the OEM nav with ML, I might have instead just gone aftermarket... you can get a way better nav system installed in dash for less than that... (and you'll save a fortune on map updates compared to OEM too) though if you plan to also add a few sets of component speakers, good subs, amp, etc you'll spend a bit more.

Last edited by Kurtz; 01-13-09 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 02:21 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its really quite simply.

If you are full fledged audiophile, on a scale of 1-10, you would rank your self a 8-10. Then don't bother with the ML. It would be a waste of money since you would end up not being happy with it and paying to replace it. If you are like the many auto enthusiasts out there who enjoy high fi sound without uber premium price tags, then ML is for you.

For the price, it cannot be beat. Unless you plan on spending more than 3-4k upgrading everything, you will not get a cleaner integrated system.

Also what makes upgrading difficult is the integrated ac controls etc, through the nav screen. Sure you have other options but most aren't cheap and also take a lot of money for a well polished look.

I would definitely "test drive" the audio system with some of your favorite cds before you buy it. But for most of the population who aren't TRUE upper tier audiophiles, ML is wonderful.

I love my ML system. I would rank myself a 5 or 6 on the audiophile list. I enjoy well balanced sounds, but would never spend 5k+ on an audio upgrade. Most of my previous cars all had aftermarket sound systems in the range of 3 k. Usually consisting of alpine components both head unit and speakers/amps. The ML blows them away in terms of clarity and balance. Sure I could always use a little more BASS..... but at this stage in my life I do want to keep my hearing...
Old 01-14-09, 09:30 AM
rmorrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys... I am going to Lexus tomorrow to take a drive and listen etc.. Ill let you know what I think. I still have my DLS Audio set up and have a buyer lined up for all of it but am hesitant to get ride of it if I do still want to use it... I think I am getting old and do not want to hassel with the fabrication to properly integrate that into the IS, so for now I am leaning toward the ML with an aftermarket sub for a little more bottom end. (clean, nothing rediculous)