IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Announces Safety Recall on Select Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 11:44 AM
Janizary
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Janizary
Mine went in this morning for the fuel line recall. They said it should be ready this afternoon for pickup. RX loaner for the day.
Forgot the update:

It was in at 730 for the fuel-line recall and was ready for pickup by 1PM. Tank went in on vapors and was returned with a full tank.
Old 07-15-09, 03:33 PM
rad-man
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little suspicious about my trip to the dealer... I stopped by to make an appointmentfor the recalls and I was told that the parts were on backorder for 3 weeks. The rep left for a few mins, came back, and said that they had parts and could do the recalls.

I got a call the next day and they told me it was ready. Gas tank was not full....

why didnt they fill my gas if they performed the recall? or maybe they didnt?

I'm considering going to another dealer and asking them to check everything...
Old 07-15-09, 07:37 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rad-man
I'm a little suspicious about my trip to the dealer... I stopped by to make an appointmentfor the recalls and I was told that the parts were on backorder for 3 weeks. The rep left for a few mins, came back, and said that they had parts and could do the recalls.

I got a call the next day and they told me it was ready. Gas tank was not full....

why didnt they fill my gas if they performed the recall? or maybe they didnt?

I'm considering going to another dealer and asking them to check everything...
They did not fill my gas tank either, gotta check my invoice to see if they did the fuel rail recall.

Last edited by BounceNY; 07-15-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-16-09, 09:52 PM
Bobby206
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 needed the three recalls. Took them a day to perform all three recalls but i did get a 400h to mess as a loaner. never drove a hybrid before and i would rather stick with gas cars. the dealer told me my old rear calipers froze up so they replaced them and the pads for free. quick and friendly service, they also filled up my car even through i only used less than a quarter tank of gas i filled up the night before.
Old 09-30-09, 12:18 PM
3KGTVR4
Driver School Candidate

Any links to the TSIB forms ?
I need some of them ! like Mirror vibration to take it to my dealer !
Old 10-01-09, 01:32 PM
longhornpb
Driver School Candidate

I heard of a recall on floor mats as well. Im not kidding.

They said the design has caused the gas pedal to stick to the mats.
Old 10-01-09, 05:34 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3KGTVR4
Any links to the TSIB forms ?
I need some of them ! like Mirror vibration to take it to my dealer !
http://www.lexustsb.com/categories/L...7B47%7D+IS350/
Old 10-01-09, 07:00 PM
Fritzo
Driver School Candidate

'06 and '07 IS models usually have all three campaigns, fuel rails, steering link, and brake dust boots. However it is based on the VIN break. Your dealer will be able to look it up if you don't want to on your own.

As for the TSIB's, as posted before they can't fix anything unless they can duplicate it in some fashion. Also your car has to fit within the designated VIN breaks of affected vehicles.

The startup rattle is a minor design issue with the cam actuators for the VVT-i. It's nothing major, doesn't affect operation or make the timing chain skip a tooth, which is why it is a TSIB, not a SSC. The repair involves taking out all 4 cams, so yes it is rather involved.

Also be aware that the brake complaint will require the rotors to be machined. Only get this done if the noise/dust is really bothering you. You'll be prematurely replacing the pads, and taking a good chunk of the rotors off with the machining process. This will mean that the very next brake job you actually need ... you guessed it, you gotta pay to replace the rotors.

So again, only if it's really bothering you.
Old 10-01-09, 08:29 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzo

Also be aware that the brake complaint will require the rotors to be machined. Only get this done if the noise/dust is really bothering you. You'll be prematurely replacing the pads, and taking a good chunk of the rotors off with the machining process. This will mean that the very next brake job you actually need ... you guessed it, you gotta pay to replace the rotors.

So again, only if it's really bothering you.

I got the TSIB pads and they didn't touch my rotors.

Why in the world would you machine perfectly good rotors just because you're swapping the pads?
Old 10-02-09, 05:17 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I got the TSIB pads and they didn't touch my rotors.

Why in the world would you machine perfectly good rotors just because you're swapping the pads?
Agreed, they don't ALWAYS machine rotors when replacing brake pads.
Old 10-02-09, 07:24 PM
Fritzo
Driver School Candidate

True, it is not always necessary to machine the rotors when replacing pads, but if the rotor has a significant lip on it, they will. Especially when replacing pads for the squeal complaint. The lip will touch the pad before the larger part of the rotor, temporarily decreasing braking performance, and while it is wearing down quite quickly to a optimum contact patch it will overheat the edges of the pad, drawing out the chemicals that keep the compound soft, drying out the pad, and eventually causing the same squeaking due to brake chatter...

So to do the job correctly, they will machine the rotors.

If it's addressed within the first 10,000 miles there shouldn't be a huge lip on the rotors and this won't be necessary.
Old 10-03-09, 01:50 PM
Dave_IS250
Driver School Candidate

I brought my car in today for them to check out my brake dust issue and they replaced my rotors and brake pads.

My wheels were also chipping so I complained about that, and they are ordering me all 4 new wheels. I'm pretty happy to get new wheels because all of them were starting to chip real bad and a few has some curb marks on them too.
Old 02-11-11, 07:56 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the steering rack replacement (9LC) done back in 2/09.

My steering is very stiff now and at high speed/in motion (50mph+), it's very hard for me to turn the steering wheel. I have to put in a good amount of effort to do so.

My basic warranty expired in Sep 2010. Does the TSIB extend the warranty on the replacement parts? Looks like I need to have my steering rack replaced.