IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Announces Safety Recall on Select Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-09, 06:46 PM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all 3 for me even though i had a late 06 is350 build... oh well guess its time for me to get this addressed along with the brakes glazing which they refuse to fix. im just waiting to hear back from other members reporting their service before i get mine done. so keep this thread updated guys when you get it done.
Old 01-26-09, 01:11 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a call from dealership (lexus of englewood nj...if you're in the NJ area you may want to call this dealer since IMO they are very good and are usually on top of things even TSIB's that other dealerships have trouble with) and he told me letters haven't been sent out yet but they are trying to get a heads start and start ordering the parts.

I'm affected for all 3 recalls and my appoinment is for February 11. He also told me it will take most of the day if not overnight into the next day so I will be getting a loaner.

Seeing the discussion about the fuel pipe recall in this thread, I think I should be getting it done. But do you think I should get the steering wheel and rear caliper recall done? I haven't had problems with any of them so I really don't want to change something that works and than have it worse or something.

And just a quick question about mods. Do you think I should take off my JoeZ intake and my HID fogs that I have or should I just leave them on (those are the only mods I have). Thanks
Old 01-26-09, 09:13 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

just found out i gotta get my fuel rails replaced.......
Old 01-26-09, 10:12 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cbrfreak
Lexus announced thru channels today that there is a campaign(recall) on 06-07-08 IS 250 350'S

They will be replacing the Fuel Rails for the fuel injection, the Electronic steering racks, and rear brake caliper bolts.

If you are in the NY area call the guys at Rallye Lexus 516-676-8686 if you need help. They always help me and are the guys that do the car show and are active on this site.

Special Service Campaigns (SSC)

SSC 9LA Certain 2006 2007 GS, 2006 2008 IS and 2007 2008 LS Vehicles Fuel Delivery Pipe Replacement

SSC 9LB Certain 2006 2007 GS and IS Vehicles Rear Brake Caliper Inspection

SSC 9LC Certain2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h Vehicles Electric Power Steering Link (EPS) Assembly Replacement

******URGENT******

On January 16, 2009, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding certain 2006 2007 GS 300/350, 2006 2008 IS 250/350 and 2007 2008 LS 460/460L vehicles. The involved vehicles are equipped with aluminum fuel delivery pipes (fuel rails). Lexus has determined that ethanol fuels with low moisture content will corrode the internal surface of the fuel rails. As this condition progresses the engine malfunction light (MIL) may illuminate. Over time, the corrosion will create a pinhole resulting in fuel leakage. SSC 9LA will be launched to replace the Fuel Delivery Pipes in the affected vehicles.

There are approximately 43,700 GS 300 (24,500 2WD, 19,200 AWD), 23,700 GS 350 (14,000 2WD, 9,700 AWD), 85,800 IS 250 (54,000 2WD, 31,800 AWD), 24,900 IS 350, and 36,400 LS 460 (25,500 LS 460, 10,900 LS 460L) vehicles involved in the U.S.

Additionally, Lexus is launching two other SSCs.

9LB Certain 2006 2007 model GS and IS vehicles to inspect rear brake calipers. On certain Lexus vehicles, the slide pin in the rear brake calipers may not operate smoothly. If the vehicle continues to be operated under these conditions, the brake pads may make noise.
9LC Certain 2007 GS 450h, 2006 2007 GS, IS and RX 400h vehicles to replace the electric power steering link (EPS) assembly. Certain vehicles may experience a noticeable gradual increase in the steering effort necessary at low speeds when turning the steering wheel to the complete left or right position. This condition may be most perceptible when parking the vehicle.
A dealer package including vital information and reimbursement procedures will be sent to dealers (to the attention of the service manager) today.

Lexus will inform owners of the involved vehicles with a Special Service Campaign notification letter sent via first class mail beginning in late January 2009.

All customer inquires should be directed to the Lexus Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-255-3987.

If you are a dealership associate and have any questions, please contact your District Service and Parts Manager.

For News media inquiries only, they should be directed to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, in Lexus Corporate Communications. (Please do not provide these numbers to customers or call if you are a dealer associate.)

The following Q&As has been provided for your reference.

Click here to see Combined Q&A for DD Message.pdf

Cancel

Print

Yep, my car is at the dealership right now, getting all three done. I have an '06 IS350 btw.
Old 01-26-09, 10:28 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

did you receive a letter? which lexus in so cal did you take it?
Old 01-27-09, 01:39 AM
philly 250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
It follows strict liability... The manufacturer, the dealer, everyone in the chain is responsible for anything that happens as the result of a defect... Sending out a recall notice will not cure it... In fact, there is nothing the manufacturer can do to escape liability, hence "strict liability"... Doesn't matter if you are the original owner, a 2nd owner, or just someone borrowing the car... If something happens as a result of a manufacturing defect, the manufacturer and anyone else subsequent in the sales chain is strictly liable, regardless of any attempts to cure (recalls, etc...)
I'm quite certain this is not true. First, what you're describing is more along the lines of "absolute liability," i.e. "no exceptions." Strict liability has some exceptions, and in many states, that includes a "failure to warn" element (in fact, you'll often find states in which you can't discern whether they're applying strict liability or negligence principles, since they seem to add more and more elements to the strict-liability standard, making it tougher on plaintiffs now). Some states might still have the strictest of strict liability, but if what I learned in law school still remains true (it's been only 5 years, so it can't be too outdated), most states now use something closer to a "comparative negligence" approach. That means the jury will have an opportunity to weigh the significance of the defect against Lexus' efforts to warn against it. So if it turns out at trial that your car burned to a crisp as a result of the defect, but Lexus proves that it sent you notices by both e-mail and letter, not to mention significant press releases (along with warnings indicating how severe the risk of the defect is), there's probably a decent chance you get comped only for the defective fuel line, but not for the car itself. (Compare that with voluntary assumption of risk or contributory negligence, where any negligence on the plaintiff's part precludes her from recovering anything- comparative negligence is a happy medium between absolute liability and contributory negligence). In effect, strict liability in torts has tended to shift away from absolute liability, so that now we only ignore the design process itself.

What you say about second, third etc, owners is true, so that's where Lexus' efforts to warn is a significant factor. A lot of that may depend on how much publicity Lexus gives about the recall. I can't predict what would happen in most states if your car does burn to a crisp, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that most states probably won't be sympathetic to awarding punitive damages given Lexus' notices about the recall. And I'm nearly as certain that you don't want to simply think Lexus will replace your car if you ignore the recall notice and the worst of the worst happens.
Old 01-27-09, 05:12 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew
did you receive a letter? which lexus in so cal did you take it?
I'm not sure if you were referring to me but if so, I didn't get a letter. I instead got a phone call from my service advisor(SA) at Tustin Lexus. He called me to tell me to bring my car in. I brought my car in and drove off 15 mins later in an IS250 loaner.

Ask for Iman Azimi at Tustin Lexus. He's been my SA from day one and he's awesome. Always gives me a loaner with no hassle. I know for some people, they don't like leaving their car but for me, I like having the loaner to run errands or to take it to Vegas without putting the miles on my own car.
Old 01-27-09, 06:13 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man, ill be giving him a call tomorrow. its a good thing, cause i live 3 miles away from the tustin lexus.
Old 01-27-09, 06:16 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I'm not sure if you were referring to me but if so, I didn't get a letter. I instead got a phone call from my service advisor(SA) at Tustin Lexus. He called me to tell me to bring my car in. I brought my car in and drove off 15 mins later in an IS250 loaner.

Ask for Iman Azimi at Tustin Lexus. He's been my SA from day one and he's awesome. Always gives me a loaner with no hassle. I know for some people, they don't like leaving their car but for me, I like having the loaner to run errands or to take it to Vegas without putting the miles on my own car.

Geeesh....this is the exact example of how a lexus dealer should be (at least, IMO). Unfortunately, my dealership doesn't act like this at all.

Now, my local FORD dealer, on the other hand, treats me like how SexiLexi got treated at her lexus dealer.

So, to keep this on topic:

I'm still waiting for my recall letter to be granted the luxury of being able to make an appointment

(and yes, I realize that that is usually the norm for most manufacturer's, but it's the principle of the thing at this point, especially since my car is listed on lexus' website as needing the recalls)

Last edited by mikes rx; 01-27-09 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 06:34 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigL
For real man??? These are trained techs who get to drive almost any car they want including the ISF. You think they really care about hot rodding your car?? They are probably more concerned with making money since they are on a flat rate pay.
huh? its not when the car is in the bay getting worked on *thou thats part of it, guys leaning on your fenders messing up your paint is one thing*, its when the lot boiz move the cars around the lot... the techs dont park the car/move them around when the lots get full/when you come to get your car... you got rims? a lowered car? hello??? nebody home??? btw, i know of 2 techs here on this very board who refuse to take their cars in for service by their fellow peers, tells ya something huh...

*edit* hehe my vin is ok for all 3

Last edited by llamaboiz; 01-27-09 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 08:32 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoTheDrew
thanks man, ill be giving him a call tomorrow. its a good thing, cause i live 3 miles away from the tustin lexus.
You're welcome. Btw, I'm a girl.
Old 01-27-09, 08:52 PM
DoTheDrew
Lexus Test Driver

Haha my bad. Maybe that's why you're getting the royal treatment.
Old 01-27-09, 08:57 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car is at the dealer now, they told me I wont get my car back for about a week.

And I can't have a loaner cuz I'm 4 months shy of 21.

Great..
Old 01-27-09, 10:10 PM
albertkey
Driver School Candidate

Just got all 3 SSC done- I have a early 06 is350. Long Lexus did an amazing job and took 2 full days to complete. The steering didn't change all that much- does anyone know if the rack has the updated ratios? The brakes seem to bite much hard- perhaps they bled the system- feels totally different now.

Over all it was painless and everything works great- I had to take a crappy corolla loaner though... Makes me appreciate my car much now!

I'm now a Longo Lexus Fanboy! Oh I also had the engine rattle TSIB done there as well- no questions asked they replaced it under warranty! Oh yeah- did the shaky rear view mirror replacement tsib and aux input filter as well! Clublexus is a great source of info!

Thaks for being there guys!
Old 01-28-09, 12:48 PM
RU514
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikez
My car is at the dealer now, they told me I wont get my car back for about a week.

And I can't have a loaner cuz I'm 4 months shy of 21.

Great..
Holy **** a week dude? Did you go to a dealership in NJ? My dealer told me the same day or worst case is next day I'll have it back.

And yeah it sucks not getting a loaner. I'm 19 so I'm bringing my dad to drop it off and get the loaner for me.

Quick Reply: Lexus Announces Safety Recall on Select Vehicles