IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What iPhone adaptor/mods are there available?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 12:15 AM
outdateboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What iPhone adaptor/mods are there available?

Hi,

I am consider getting an IS 250. On thing that bothers me is the lack of good iPhone integration with the car. The base car only has Aux input for iPhone/iPod. The dealer told me there is a $300 iPod adaptor kit that can show the song lists on the screen and let the steering wheel select songs. This sounds reasonable. How about accessing the address book in my phone? No, it's not supported.

I am wondering what kind of mod/ or iPhone adaptor are there on the market? What's the best one in you opinion?

BTW, I am curious what is the color called in the attached pic. That's the exact color i want to buy (i call it silver). But none of the color in the lexus website looks like this one, yet the attached pic is pulled down from their site (move mouse over the "Sedan" button on top)

Thanks

Last edited by outdateboy; 01-19-09 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-19-09, 01:50 AM
Plit
Pole Position

That color is Tungsten Pearl, as far as the iphone deal I'm not too sure about that.
Old 01-19-09, 05:05 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

yeah so far nothing for the iphone i guess unless i am not getting info from them..... the thing is.... i'll rather go for the iPod integration.. contemplating..
Old 01-19-09, 07:10 AM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

i have an iphone n watever u do, never get an am/fm adapter, they are terrible. i jus use an aux cable for music it's kickin'..and unless u really need the steering wheel controls, doesn't matter. as for your phone book theres ways to do it..i don't need it loaded into my nav but the delaer told me theres a 50$ charge and they use a software to upload it but i thought it was BS..so no call on that :/
Old 01-19-09, 08:31 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

I just purchased the 2009 IS 250 and as far as the ipod integration goes, it has to be mounted in the glove compartment. I did not purchase it cause i dont really want to mount my phone in the glove compartment as it would not be easy to access. So I just use a monster cable to plug it into the aux jack. Just wish Lexus could find a better place to put the aux jack rather than in the center console....
Old 01-19-09, 08:34 AM
jhunter
Driver School Candidate

Does the vaistech product not offer integration with the Nav system? I have one installed in my 07 ES 350--it's in the glovebox, but I get access through Nav screen. Don't know about the iPhone--I'm using an old iPod. Works beautifully but all the tracks have to be within separate folders...
Old 01-19-09, 08:37 AM
Feirax
Driver

You can download your iPhone contacts into the car via BlueTooth. At least that's what I did with mine.

I was using the AUX jack to listen to the iPhone in the car, but one cold morning a couple weeks ago I went to plug in the iPhone and the iPhone's audio jack broke, losing left channel sound and the phone thought headphones were plugged in even when they weren't. (I paid ~$55 to have it repaired).

I found afterward that an MP3 CD worked even better for me. I burned a disc from iTunes and have all the folder/song info and the steering wheel controls work. No need to plug anything in. If you get ML, I would guess you could play MP3 DVDs with alot more songs.

I believe there's a Vaistech iPod integration kit that is similar to the lexus one (can search for details if interested).
Old 01-19-09, 09:50 AM
mikeho
Lead Lap

I use the Harman Kardon Drive + Play 2 system.
http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-2/default.aspx
I know it works with my iPod, I honestly haven't tested it with with my iPhone, but I love the system. Everyone who sits in my car agrees. I originally had the display mounted on the right side of the dash, just above the security light, but It's now sitting in the ashtray. The controller is mounted on the bottom right side of my shifter. The rest of the system is tucked away in my center console with my iPod. It's neat and clean.

Honestly, the best would be to have a system where the iPhone integrates where you can still use the touchscreen but not have wires everywhere.
Old 01-19-09, 10:00 AM
kmicinski
Driver School Candidate

You can't download your contacts to your phone book via Bluetooth with the iphone. It doesn't support the bluetooth push protocol needed to send the phone book to the car.
Old 01-19-09, 10:10 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Feirax

I found afterward that an MP3 CD worked even better for me. I burned a disc from iTunes and have all the folder/song info and the steering wheel controls work. No need to plug anything in. If you get ML, I would guess you could play MP3 DVDs with alot more songs.

It still won't play a data DVD with mp3s on it like it does a CD.

BTW- those using the AUX port will want to get your sound from the dock connector, not the headphone connector (on the iphone/ipod)- significantly better sound quality.
Old 01-19-09, 01:02 PM
SpaceCadet
Driver

I am using this and love it. It charges and output the audio from the bottom port, not the headphones. I also removed the console panel, drilled some holes and ran the aux cable directly into the hand rest's aux port. It say its not compartible with iPhone, but I've been using it for a year now with no problems. Oh and it works great with bluetooth for calls. The audio gradually turns down automatically when you receive/make a call. Sure you cant control it from the steering wheel or nav screen, but hey, for 50 bones, what more can u ask for.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1168042838908
Old 01-19-09, 01:13 PM
duyl27
Driver

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KCA-iP200.html i was thinking about this one. add a USB charger and ur all good. I was reading on the ipod lounge and they said it works with iphone i am going to buy one soon.
Old 01-19-09, 04:26 PM
outdateboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by duyl27
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KCA-iP200.html i was thinking about this one. add a USB charger and ur all good. I was reading on the ipod lounge and they said it works with iphone i am going to buy one soon.
That works with Kenwood system. Is Kenwood the one used in the IS? Where do i find that Kenwood-specific connector in the car?
Old 01-19-09, 06:47 PM
duyl27
Driver

nah man u don't need kenwood system just use the aux and usb car charger and ur good we don't have a specific connector for kenwood. But its cheap and works I believe Lexus is pioneer i don't know correct me if i am wrong.
Old 02-01-09, 10:38 PM
outdateboy
Driver School Candidate

Hello all,
I eventually bought an 2008 IS 350 w/ Mark Levinson and luxury package. Do you guys know if any of the aforementioned kits support the Mark Levinson system? Does it make any difference?

Another question, I have a good collection of songs whose ID3 tags are in unicode Chinese. Do you know if the nav system supports that? If not, i guess i won't bother to get the adaptor

Last edited by outdateboy; 02-01-09 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply: What iPhone adaptor/mods are there available?