IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

im confused, is my dealership trying to rip me off?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 09:14 AM
x2mkx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question im confused, is my dealership trying to rip me off?!

so my 06 IS350 has reached 55,000 miles (finally). after getting my oil changed at Lexus of Cerritos, i was informed that i need new brake pads and rotors. the dealership quoted me APPROX 700, but there will probably be additional charges upon installation. this leads me to my first question:

can i get a better deal on better brakes for a cheaper price? 700 seems a little steep to me but then again im not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars

i was also told that my car would need treatment to clear up the throttle body...i forget what it was called... throttle body carbon removal or SOMETHING like that...basically they claimed that it was necessary to clean my throttle body because of the oiled filter i have on my K&N intake. i dont remember the price for this but i am a bit skeptical about it since i really havent had my intake for that long

anyway, any and all help would be appreciated thx guys!
Old 01-21-09, 09:27 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds about right if they are replacing the rotors. If they are machining them it should be cheaper. It cost depends if they are doing the front and back or just the fronts. You can probably get them cheaper at a mechanics that you trust since dealer's labor is usually more then local mechanics.

If you installed the K&N you might want to take the rubber intake that leads to the throttle body off and see if it is true or not. Usually if you over-oil the filter it will cause the oil to go into the throttle body.
Old 01-21-09, 09:38 AM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

i got my rotors and pads changed from a local guy my in LA, forget the shops name, changed fronts for $200 total. and it was OEM parts too.

as for lexus of cerritos, i dont really like them. they wanted to charge me $250/side mirrors. it cracked and i needed to change them. i was like $500 for 2 pieces of glass/mirror?!?!?! hell no!!! so i went to a local and got both done for a little under $200. then i went to Crown Lexus in ontario and they said the side mirrors are covered under warrenty. T.T idk, even with OEM trunk spoiler, they quoted me close to $400 for the spoiler + additional fees such as paint, labor, etc. Longo lexus and crown lexus both quoted $300 painted, plus labor. so...yea, just my 2cents on cerritos.

but yea, i would suggest you go to a local and get it done cheaper.
Old 01-21-09, 09:43 AM
nwhuey
Rookie

you can clean your throttle body yourself, I'm sure there is a diy on the forums on cleaning your throttle body, you won't see much difference and you will have to deal with white smoke for a few miles after you do it. Its pretty easy to do tho. As for the brakes, try your local mechanic and buy your own products.
Old 01-21-09, 09:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Price sounds about right for Lexus. Take it to a Toyota dealer or another shop you can save $.

Curious though... Why are they saying you need to repalce your rotors along with your pads? Are they warped? If they are not warped you should not need to replace them or even resurface them for that matter.
Old 01-21-09, 10:13 AM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by KrapWerdna
i got my rotors and pads changed from a local guy my in LA, forget the shops name, changed fronts for $200 total. and it was OEM parts too.
WOW thats a good price lol...any chance u can find out the name of the place and maybe a #? im located in south LA (near USC)

Originally Posted by nwhuey
you can clean your throttle body yourself, I'm sure there is a diy on the forums on cleaning your throttle body, you won't see much difference and you will have to deal with white smoke for a few miles after you do it. Its pretty easy to do tho. As for the brakes, try your local mechanic and buy your own products.
awesome ...thats makes things ten times easier...ill be sure to look it up...but i dont understand the part about the white smoke? whats that all about

Originally Posted by cssnms

Curious though... Why are they saying you need to repalce your rotors along with your pads? Are they warped? If they are not warped you should not need to replace them or even resurface them for that matter.
my rep didnt mention anything about warping. all she told me was that both needed to be replaced. i doubt they are warped but it could be possible...i should be able to visibly notice any warps tho right? and wouldnt i feel it whenever i brake? i dunno..ill have to check T.T
Old 01-21-09, 10:32 AM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by x2mkx
WOW thats a good price lol...any chance u can find out the name of the place and maybe a #? im located in south LA (near USC)
yea, i'll try to find it and let you know.
Old 01-21-09, 12:24 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Those brakes pad & rotors you can take it to regular mechanic. They don't require special tools!! K&N intake, well only you know how long its been on your vehicle.

700 + additional fees just wrong, that leave them room to charge you BS. They should know the total amount because they have the standard time&fees for each service.
Old 01-21-09, 12:43 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

take it to a reliable mechanic and save yourself some $$$....
Old 01-21-09, 12:50 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If your rotors are warped they would be pulsing and you would feel it in the steering wheel or your car would not brake smoothly when coming to a stop. The rotor run-out is measured in milimeters so you cannot look at your rotors and see that they are warped.

What reason did the SA give you for needing to replace your rotors? Are they cracked or are they to thin to have them turned because you had them machined several times in the past? I would argue if the car is braking fine and there are no cracks or other defects in the rotors to just leave them alone. Unless the SA provided you with a specific reason, which they should, other then you should replace your rotors when you change your pads she is blowing smoke up your arss to earn herself a nice commission or does not know what she is talking about.

That said, and I am not one to spread unsubstantiated rumors around, so take this with a grain of salt, but I heard through the grapevine that in light of declining vehicle sales and service sales Lexus GM's are encouraging their service advisors to really push the extras on the customers.

Have Toyota or another reputable independent dealer look at your brakes.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-21-09 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 12:57 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Try to clean the throttle body your self save some cash
Old 01-21-09, 01:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

Originally Posted by KrapWerdna
i got my rotors and pads changed from a local guy my in LA, forget the shops name, changed fronts for $200 total. and it was OEM parts too...
The OEM parts - just the rotors and the pads at Internet discount prices - are right at $300. You couldn't get OEM parts for the price you paid. Sounds like you got pads only, or you got some really inexpensive aftermarket rotors.
Old 01-21-09, 01:48 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brake job on the 2gen is simple. I would buy the parts from Sewell and do it yourself. Just make sure to remove the master cylinder cap to relieve the pressure when you compress the piston back into the caliper with a c-clamp. If you lived close to Chicago, I would do it for free for you if you had the parts.
Old 01-21-09, 01:54 PM
KrapWerdna
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The OEM parts - just the rotors and the pads at Internet discount prices - are right at $300. You couldn't get OEM parts for the price you paid. Sounds like you got pads only, or you got some really inexpensive aftermarket rotors.
oh...then maybe i did get pads. i got my brakes changed when i wasnt into cars, so my dad went to the shop. he told me they changed my rotors and pads for $200. maybe it was $200 per rotor and pad. so $400 total?? idk, maybe youre right, lobuxracer.
Old 01-21-09, 03:13 PM
nwhuey
Rookie

The white smoke just happens when you clean the throttle body, its just the sot burning off and the throttle body cleaner burning off.

Quick Reply: im confused, is my dealership trying to rip me off?!