IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LX Mode Grille- knockoff or original???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 05:43 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX Mode Grille- knockoff or original???

So yesterday I started a thread about my new LX Mode grille that I had just received and installed. Today I am concerned that it is NOT an original but instead a KNOCKOFF! The box it was sent in was all white with a sticker on it that had a GS label. Inside the box was just the grille and nothing else like installation instructions or anything that had LX Mode on it. Even the invoice that was shipped with the grille did not say LX Mode. It just said "GLIS1001 Billet Grille,C". I don't want to say who the vendor is, but if there is anyone who can make me feel better about this feel free to chime in.

Here's a picture, even though the lighting is not good:
Attached Thumbnails LX Mode Grille- knockoff or original???-img_1768.jpg  
Old 01-22-09, 05:58 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

how much did you pay for it? i think a knock off would be no more than 200 or 300 for this
Old 01-22-09, 06:07 PM
is2seattle
Lead Lap

Here are the pictures of my box (authentic one)...

Old 01-22-09, 06:14 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexboi250
how much did you pay for it? i think a knock off would be no more than 200 or 300 for this
That's the thing...the vendor sold it as LX Mode, but at $110 off their listed price. If they knew they were selling a knockoff to someone who thought they were getting an original, they could give me a "discount" and actually be making lots more since the knockoff cost them much less to get.
Old 01-22-09, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
AFAIK, I don't think there is a knock-off of these. But, I think your "warm and fuzzy" should be mostly based on the vendor. If you purchased it from L-tuned, I think you're safe. If you're worried that the l-tuned painted/chrome ones are knockoffs, I believe that someone awhile ago posted that they were in fact true LX-mode. But, again, I would probably base a good chunk of belief based on the vendor you used.

I'm not sure how much this would help, but in terms of the box, I'm pretty sure my lx-mode HANDLES came in an LX-mode box. I know it came with the LX-mode instructions that were in Japanese only.

edit: sorry, is2seattle posted his grille photos as I wrote my post.
i am curious, how was it proven that the l-tuned grilles are lx-mode? having lx-mode written at the back of the grille doesn't mean much though

and as far as i know, yup, it's highly possible there are lx-mode grilles out there for some while already

if the grille is from lx-mode and it was not purchased in a batch, then there should be original box as shown. but i do know that if a vendor bought the grilles in batch, then they might come in a bigger box all packed together, and the vendor just put them in separate boxes to ship out. but still, all the instructions etc... should be available directly from vendor

and to me, i never touch knock offs, never
Old 01-22-09, 06:20 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is2seattle
Here are the pictures of my box (authentic one)...

My box looked nothing like that. It was all white with nothing on it but the UPS tag and a very small sticker that had GS 350 and GS 430 on it. I called the vendor on it and they said that LX Mode ships it to them in boxes that are reversed marked: IS grilles in boxes labeled GS and GS grilles in boxes marked IS. This makes no sense to me. They kept saying that LX Mode has their logo on the the bottom inside part of the grille, but a good knockoff manufacturer would have the same thing so that didn't prove anything to me.
Old 01-22-09, 06:24 PM
is2seattle
Lead Lap

BTW, i forgot to mention... there was the instruction (written in Japanese) in my box
Old 01-22-09, 06:37 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is2seattle
BTW, i forgot to mention... there was the instruction (written in Japanese) in my box
I didn't have anything but the grille and a plain white box with an incorrect label. My LX Mode door handles came with the instructions in Japanese and I haven't heard of any knockoffs of these handles so I feel confident these are legit. However, I have heard of LX Mode knockoff grilles for a while now, so I'm on edge about this whole deal.
Old 01-22-09, 06:38 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smells like knock off to me........
Old 01-22-09, 07:20 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am curious, how was it proven that the l-tuned grilles are lx-mode? having lx-mode written at the back of the grille doesn't mean much though
I was basing it off of this thread.......
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-06-07-gs.html

However, after re-reading it (I hadn't read it since it was originally posted last year), I guess one could say that it wasn't actually proven.

Although, it is interesting that carson never comments EITHER WAY regarding whether or not it's a real LX-Mode .....except that only the real LX-mode was available in gunmetal.

Originally Posted by rominl
and as far as i know, yup, it's highly possible there are lx-mode grilles out there for some while already
I haven't seen any knock-offs on ebay as far as I remember.....and I would think that ebay would be the one of the first places that they get posted to

edit: nevermind that too......I just found a similar one on ebay

.....I must be off my game tonight

Last edited by mikes rx; 01-22-09 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 07:29 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes rx
except that only the real LX-mode was available in gunmetal.
Btw: the real legit LX-Mode comes in chrome and gunmetal colors only. Check out the box above, there are 2 color selections available.
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine came in the same box as the one pictured above.. with japanese intructions..
mikes rx

BTW, I wouldn't necessarily say that $110 off = illegitimate

By my calculations, that is about 20% off, which IIRC is what I got on my door handles.
Old 01-22-09, 07:31 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
Btw: the real legit LX-Mode comes in chrome and gunmetal colors only. Check out the box above, there are 2 color selections available.
I meant that carson only had the "true" gunmetal for the REAL LX-mode, not the "Carson-tuned" grille. That's why they needed to get different color swatches to paint their grille the gunmetal like the REAL lx-mode.

Not that the chrome wasn't available for the real one.

(I hope that makes sense....and I think that's what carson illuded to)
Old 01-22-09, 07:34 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I gotcha mikes rx!

Good luck op, subscribed to see if its legit LX-Mode.

Quick Reply: LX Mode Grille- knockoff or original???