IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

0-60 in 4.6 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 12:29 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Yea juice, I too noticed my car responds more quickly to the throttle and the rpm gets up faster with ECT set to Power. It feels like sensitivity has gone way up and runs vigorously. Interesting to see your results so far... good luck on your testing and let us know your finding. I find your post valuable and enjoyable. Kurtz, if you're reading this, come on in! I'd like to hear your thoughts as well. Maybe try this on your car and see what your result is? hehe

btw, juice, you know your 0-60 is almost as fast as a Ferrari 360 Modena. Gotta love it.

Lol. I didnt know that. I wonder if the modena is underrated as well as the IS350. I bet that thing can move.
I've seen kurtz graphs comparing ECT power, snow and normal, and normal seems to shift at higher RPM. I thin normal mode is better for 1/4 mile, but ECT power might be better from 0-60 since it helps mid range RPM.
Tonight i met a guy who has a CL 55 amg with like a million HP. i told him to let me plug the Vector on it to see what it does from 0-60. I bet its like 3.9 or something.
Old 02-14-09, 12:35 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juice14
Lol. I didnt know that. I wonder if the modena is underrated as well as the IS350. I bet that thing can move.
I've seen kurtz graphs comparing ECT power, snow and normal, and normal seems to shift at higher RPM. I thin normal mode is better for 1/4 mile, but ECT power might be better from 0-60 since it helps mid range RPM.
Tonight i met a guy who has a CL 55 amg with like a million HP. i told him to let me plug the Vector on it to see what it does from 0-60. I bet its like 3.9 or something.
maybe 4-4.3, I believe that thing is quite heavy too maybe the cls63 is around there hehe but if it's from a dig..i'm pretty sure your is-f can take it if you guys are actually going quarter mile but if it's from a role or longer then a quarter mile....it's over imo hahaha oh and im talking about the cls55 if it's the 63 almost no chance hahha
Old 02-14-09, 12:57 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yayitscola
maybe 4-4.3, I believe that thing is quite heavy too maybe the cls63 is around there hehe but if it's from a dig..i'm pretty sure your is-f can take it if you guys are actually going quarter mile but if it's from a role or longer then a quarter mile....it's over imo hahaha oh and im talking about the cls55 if it's the 63 almost no chance hahha
I am curious to what it would do. its supossed to be an 11 second car in the 1/4 mile. it has like 700 pounds of torque.
Old 02-14-09, 01:04 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

I am curious to what it would do. its supossed to be an 11 second car in the 1/4 mile. it has like 700 pounds of torque.
I think you got it mistaken with the cl63/65, they run 11's, the cls55/63 run 12's it's as fast as a c63 surprisingly
Old 02-14-09, 05:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ECT-Power has no impact on engine operation, it's a transmission programming mode.

Floored from a dead stop the only thing it'll do is make the car shift at a -lower- rpm, which would be bad for 0-60.

Now, putting the car in sport mode 4 shouldn't have any impact at all, since all it's doing is telling the car "don't ever shift above 4th gear" and you wouldn't even be in 4th by the time you got to 60 mph if you floored it from a dead stop.

You saw as much as a .17 variance without changing -anything- on the car, so getting a variance of 0.10-0.13 by changing things isn't really useful information. (and your tires were warmer on the later runs too :P)

Here's the graph showing ECT-Normal as the selection of choice for holding gears the longest-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3042656-post38.html
Old 02-15-09, 04:14 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Floored from a dead stop the only thing it'll do is make the car shift at a -lower- rpm, which would be bad for 0-60.
Kurtz, if a car loses some power in the upper rpm range, wouldn't a sooner shift yield a faster time if it's staying in a better part of it's powerband.

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-15-09 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-15-09, 09:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Yup... this is a small displacement, high revving engine (compared to say, american V8s) it makes power high in the power band (again relative to big US engines) so shifting higher is better.

That's why faster 1/4 mile times (testing on a lot more than 5 total runs on a single car) show normal mode turning in faster times than sport mode.
Old 02-15-09, 01:00 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I think you got it mistaken with the cl63/65, they run 11's, the cls55/63 run 12's it's as fast as a c63 surprisingly
I will take a pic whenever i see it. Im not sure what the label was. I was too busy looking at the engine. LOL
the one im talking about is the V12 Bi-turbo Mercedes. it looks like a Sclass 2-door. from 2006
Old 02-15-09, 01:07 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Kurtz;4254934]

You saw as much as a .17 variance without changing -anything- on the car, so getting a variance of 0.10-0.13 by changing things isn't really useful information. (and your tires were warmer on the later runs too :P)

Here's the graph showing ECT-Normal as the selection of choice for holding gears the longest-
QUOTE]

would you say (as far an engine temp) the first runs the car is faster than the latter ones, because the eingne temp?

It seems like whenver i run with ECT on i get better AVERAGE times. but in Drive the range of times is wider. I can get a lower time than with ECT on, but also my best 0-60 times have been with the car just in Drive (no ECT).
Old 02-15-09, 03:38 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

would you say (as far an engine temp) the first runs the car is faster than the latter ones, because the eingne temp?

It seems like whenver i run with ECT on i get better AVERAGE times. but in Drive the range of times is wider. I can get a lower time than with ECT on, but also my best 0-60 times have been with the car just in Drive (no ECT).

Bear in mind that accelerometer based measuring devices (what I assume everyone is using for their #s here) are generally accurate to 0.1 seconds... so any variance in that range or less is already inherent to the device, even when used -exactly- perfectly.

Typically yes a cooler engine (at operating temp, since you obviously don't want to push it when entirely cold) will produce the best results... but each car will vary somewhat in how sensitive it is to heat soak.

My last car, which I took to the 1/4 mile track a number of times, would usually be able to put down good solid numbers for at least 4-5 runs before you'd notice any heatsoak at all (and these were 1/4 mile runs where you're keeping it floored 12+ seconds at a time to over 100, not just 0-60 runs).

I haven't done any repeat-run testing with my IS like that though to know when engine heat will begin impacting results... with virtually no mods making significant changes to vehicle power I doubt I'll be visiting the 1/4 mile track much with this car (compared to the previous car where I doubled stock hp over various mod stages)
Old 02-15-09, 09:07 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Bear in mind that accelerometer based measuring devices (what I assume everyone is using for their #s here) are generally accurate to 0.1 seconds... so any variance in that range or less is already inherent to the device, even when used -exactly- perfectly.

Typically yes a cooler engine (at operating temp, since you obviously don't want to push it when entirely cold) will produce the best results... but each car will vary somewhat in how sensitive it is to heat soak.

My last car, which I took to the 1/4 mile track a number of times, would usually be able to put down good solid numbers for at least 4-5 runs before you'd notice any heatsoak at all (and these were 1/4 mile runs where you're keeping it floored 12+ seconds at a time to over 100, not just 0-60 runs).

I haven't done any repeat-run testing with my IS like that though to know when engine heat will begin impacting results... with virtually no mods making significant changes to vehicle power I doubt I'll be visiting the 1/4 mile track much with this car (compared to the previous car where I doubled stock hp over various mod stages)
you forgot to tell me what car did you used to have. lol
Old 02-16-09, 04:39 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Ah sorry, I've owned a bunch really, but the most recent one was a '95 Impala SS... bit north of 500 hp naturally aspirated. Displacement was 6.3 L by the end though, and pushrod technology, so a bit tough to compare as far as susceptibility to heat soak. Had a couple supras as well, among others, but again, pretty different engine.
Old 02-16-09, 04:35 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Default Dont hate the Juice, hate the Vector

Juice14, good work. You are very entertaining in our forum. I enjoy reading most of your posts.

What juice14 said above is correct............. In this run it is highly likely he got 4.5x sec, not 4.6.

And juice, I see in this video you ran it with 3 quarter tank full of gas. That's not good. That is guaranteed 110% to slow your car down. Do the launch at quarter tank of gas or 1/8 tank. Or at empty tank. You can get better time than 4.5 sec. 3 quarter tank...... you are asking for trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41UMP335BY

do you think it was a Vector FX glitch?

Last edited by juice14; 02-16-09 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 10:19 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude you have a factory freak..if my IS ran this quickly I'd be flooring it all over the place too. I'm limited to just flooring it onto freeways and taking hard corners w/ high rpms and low gear. PAINT YOUR ROOF BLACK DAMNIT.
Old 02-16-09, 10:47 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Oh Wow......

Nice run juice!

What was the temperature outside when you did this run? Was it about the same temp as your previous runs? (35~ 40F?)

I see you did it with quarter tank of gas too. Great to see the improvement man... Who knows, maybe you actually got 4.45 sec. I kind of doubt it it's the Vector FX glitch as that 0-60 run is very possible.

I gotta start doing some testing on my car too soon. You are representing the IS350 performance really well. That's great.
It actually wasnt that cold. it was only about 50 degrees. However it was dry and crisp. Another thing i did different, was drive the tires for a lil bit and warm them up. all the other runs I do are, warm up the car and go to the straight and try it, It only like a mile away from here, so I think the tires never get hot. today i drove about 10 minutes running some arons and got this suprisse of 4.5 I couldnt believe it.
BTW The Toyo T1r's are the $HTT!!!

Quick Reply: 0-60 in 4.6 seconds