IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to the forum and getting recall work done today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 05:52 AM
IStrip50
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and getting recall work done today...

Hey guys,
I've been stalking the forum now for about 3 weeks (tons of useful information) and I decided today that I would register so I can let everyone know how the recall work goes.

My 350 hit the jackpot with all three recalls, so I took it in today to get the work done (rear brake dust boots, steering component?, and fuel line). In addition, im getting the TSIB on the brakes and AUX port done, so I will be able to let y'all know how everything is affected in the next few days.

Thanks to the forum I knew about the Aux port and front brakes, and props to Tom Williams in Birmingham AL for not giving me any hassle. The service guy didn't even know about the AUX port TSIB, but said thanks for the info and that he would look it up and order the parts.

Anyways, thanks for all the great info and I hope to contribute soon
Old 02-02-09, 02:34 PM
Katyfan
Driver School Candidate

I just joined today also, and got the recall done last weekend. Westside in Katy did a great job. Day and a half for all the recalls, the audio filter, and a leaking water pump. Car runs and sounds great now.
Old 02-02-09, 03:13 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What years were your cars?
Old 02-03-09, 06:50 AM
Katyfan
Driver School Candidate

2006 is 350
Old 02-03-09, 07:21 AM
Sodeti
Rookie

Just a thought...you may want to consider the engine rattle at startup. I have a 06 350 and had this covered under a TSIB...
Old 02-03-09, 07:43 AM
IStrip50
Rookie

2007 is350

I got the car back from Tom Williams yesterday at 5:30 (did all of the recall work, breaks, and AIX filter between 7-5:30)
Everything seems to be in great working order!

The AUX filter is a must if you plan on having your ipod connected while charging (and you dont want to spend the $ to do the ipod integration)

I have noticed that the brakes are not a grippy as they were with the stock pads on there. Is that just me being overly critical, or has anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-03-09, 08:30 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IStrip50
2007 is350

I have noticed that the brakes are not a grippy as they were with the stock pads on there. Is that just me being overly critical, or has anyone else experienced this?
That depends what you mean.

The new brakes stop in -exactly- the same distance as the old brakes, since brake pads can not change that.

The -feel- of the system is different though, the new pads have a much more smooth, linear, and predictable engagement rather than the instant-on feel the moment you tapped the brakes of the old pads.

Many consider this an improvement though.
Old 02-03-09, 08:37 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there a recall for the water pump? My car is actually in right now and they replaced the injector gaskets, fuel rail, fuel lines, steering rack, rear brake boot and I got an alignment. OMG so much stuff LOL but I'm glad its all taken care of.
Old 02-03-09, 08:38 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

^^^^^ to add with Kurtz post^^^^...the new brakes are not as abrasive and the new ceramic pads...for the TSB...this will help reduce the dust build up on the wheels. Since it is less metallic based it will also reduce the discoloring on the wheels. But in trade off the pedal feel is different with these set of pads. That is why for some the brake pad change is not desired.
Old 02-03-09, 08:56 AM
IStrip50
Rookie

I actually like the predictability of the new brakes, but I just wasn't sure if it affected the stopping power, but from what Kurtz said, the new pads don't seem to affect the braking ability
Old 02-03-09, 10:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I actually like the predictability of the new brakes, but I just wasn't sure if it affected the stopping power, but from what Kurtz said, the new pads don't seem to affect the braking ability
Not just these pads, -any- pads that can engage ABS will stop the car in exactly the same distance as any other pads.

For any adequately designed braking system the stopping distance has nothing to do with the brake system components.

The brakes aren't what stops the car after all, the tires are.
Old 02-03-09, 10:15 AM
Katyfan
Driver School Candidate

No, the waterpump didn't have a recall, but they found a small leak while they were working. Also accidently broke the engine cover, and replace both at no cost.

I've tried to talk to my dealer about the rattle, but everytime I start the car for them it doesn't make the noise (of course!). I have read that the noise is annoying, but causes no damage. Is that true?
Old 02-03-09, 11:24 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

My 350 hit the jackpot with all three recalls, so I took it in today to get the work done (rear brake dust boots, steering component?, and fuel line).
How is getting the recalls hitting the jackpot? I rather my car come built right from the factory than having to be rebuilt by somebody at the stealership. It's like some people are happy they actually found something wrong with their car so they can qualify for a free fix.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-03-09 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Racist remarks are not tolerated.
Old 02-03-09, 11:57 AM
jordan9923
Pole Position

Haha yea i took my car in for an alignment and they said i need a new fuel line for recalls.. so im getting that done today.. it sucks man im waiting.. and waiting.. and waiting....
Old 02-03-09, 01:26 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took my car in last week for the AUX port TSIB. I brought up a few other points and got the following done:

- Aux Port TSIB
- Driver/Passenger Visors Replaced (they were creaking every time I opened them)
- Driver Seat Squeaked occasionally - "tightened" the seat bolts some how
- Creak from Lower right hand side of windshield - Insulated, and gone now!
- Service Campaign - Fuel Rail
- Service Campaign - Rear Brake Boot (also received an alignment because of this)
- Service Campaign - Power Steering Component
- Wash and Vacuum

Not bad. And I had a brand new RX350 loaner that I logged 300 miles on a weekend day trip.

Quick Reply: New to the forum and getting recall work done today...