IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Build a dream IS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 01:14 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
well that sucks for that guy because he obviously took it to a shop and said, "put a 2jz in it, i don't care for the cost, just get it to work"...so of course he OVERPAID.

but it could easily be done under 60K including the cost of the car.

i'de find the cheapest/most mileage/worst (driveable) condition used car...
i can get a complete stock 2j for around 1k w/o tranny. (i could even sell the stock 4gr-fse engine and make some money off of it for sure)
i'de do all the fabrication myself (cutting/welding)
i'de do all the wiring myself (obviously without using the stock 2IS gauges)
and use the rest of the money i didn't spend to make it rain.
I think youre underestimating the complexity of our cars.
Old 02-05-09, 01:22 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

lol all i would need to do is strip EVERYTHING down to bare metal and start pretty much from scratch....i could get the motor to run with a transmission and custom driveshaft for under 10k...i have a quite a few friends in the autoshop industry...

now, i'm not saying its going to be easy nor will it only take a month to complete....it would be in the shop for about 4-6 months to make it driveable, but i would use the money i saved to buy a DD for the time being.

i'm just saying...it is incredibly possible for under 60k....including the cost of the car...
Old 02-05-09, 01:32 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, let's see... drove 5-series, 3-series, C63 today.... in the end, they didn't have the S5 (sold yesterday) but I drove a black A5 S-line loaded...

Suhweeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!

Handled like I wanted, interior was amazing, harder I pushed in turns better she rode.... if I can find an S5, I'll move up but VERY hard to find right now, 2 coming next month so we'll see... the C63 was scary and too rough on Milwaukee roads...
Old 02-05-09, 01:36 PM
era87
Driver School Candidate

I recommend the S5.. Very smooth ride..

Why not an Evo? Has the HP and the AWD.. If your planning on dropping 60k on the car in the end you'd easily have a 9 or a 10 or low 11 car depending on mods.. Daily Driver MINUS the epic Lexus or Audi luxury..
Old 02-05-09, 02:00 PM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me I'd mod a IS350 to have as a nice daily driver. Wheels, simple kit, suspension and bolt ons. Just customize it to be you.

and

A second fun car on the side. Like a Track built STi or EVO.

You can pick up a used one for cheap these days.
Old 02-05-09, 03:30 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

for 60k, i would get an IS350 and another car. maybe an Evo or STI like what venZon said. then mod it for the track. you'll get more bang for your buck.
Old 02-05-09, 03:41 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

umm... if i lived in the mainland... keep my is350 'as is' and buy something cheep to take SCCA... your never ever gonna have the fastest/best handling car on the street cuz there will always be someone better with more $$$ than you so why try for 'street'... SCCA FTW!
Old 02-05-09, 04:05 PM
strife
Rookie

how did u like the C63?
Old 02-05-09, 04:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I knew you would like the Audi. Audi is a great product and they are not what they where in the past. Cars are solid and sound in and out. I had an 05.5 (B6 I guess they call it) S4 an that thing was built like a rock. Handled great. If you want 4 doors you cant go wrong with the RS4. If you want change get the Audi. If you want the same then get the ISF. I dont think you will be happy with it from our PM's. Yes its a great car but you are looking for something different and I think you ended at the right dealer today if you ask me. Good luck Russ!
Old 02-05-09, 04:40 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You could cobble together an LMS supercharger kit if you're really desperate enough to spend $6000+ for 40 hp and not care bout powertrain warranty...
I agree. TOTAL waste of money! hahaha
Old 02-05-09, 05:29 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Porsche Cayman
Old 02-05-09, 08:31 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
well that sucks for that guy because he obviously took it to a shop and said, "put a 2jz in it, i don't care for the cost, just get it to work"...so of course he OVERPAID.

but it could easily be done under 60K including the cost of the car.

i'de find the cheapest/most mileage/worst (driveable) condition used car...
i can get a complete stock 2j for around 1k w/o tranny. (i could even sell the stock 4gr-fse engine and make some money off of it for sure)
i'de do all the fabrication myself (cutting/welding)
i'de do all the wiring myself (obviously without using the stock 2IS gauges)
and use the rest of the money i didn't spend to make it rain.

Then you wouldn't have a 2IS with a 2JZ.

You'd have a Supra with a 2IS body/suspension wrapped around it.

You wanna impress me, drop in a 2JZ and make the entire rest of the car work with it. Dash with all gauges, power windows/locks/mirrors, the memory seats, the climate control, all the safety features, etc...

You're -not- gonna do that for under 60k including cost of car. Guaranteed.
Old 02-05-09, 09:00 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

s5 for lookss... c63 for performance///
Old 02-05-09, 09:08 PM
09 LEX 250
Driver

the m5 is the absolute truth!!! PERIOD!! jmho
Old 02-06-09, 07:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by strife
how did u like the C63?
INSANE... TOO much power, felt like it was gonna break loose, and on Wisconsin roads, jumping jacks!!!

Originally Posted by passnu2
I knew you would like the Audi. Audi is a great product and they are not what they where in the past. Cars are solid and sound in and out. I had an 05.5 (B6 I guess they call it) S4 an that thing was built like a rock. Handled great. If you want 4 doors you cant go wrong with the RS4. If you want change get the Audi. If you want the same then get the ISF. I dont think you will be happy with it from our PM's. Yes its a great car but you are looking for something different and I think you ended at the right dealer today if you ask me. Good luck Russ!
With ya Mike... it ROCKED!! Wasn't the S5 (they sold the one I was to drive Wed night) but the A5 was unreal... harder I pushed, better she handled... with the stick, made up some of the HP loss. And if you can drive, losing 89HP off an S5 won't matter!!! Put the biggest smile on of all the cars I've tested!!!

Two S5s coming next month, wasn't buying til then anyway, so I may still get to drive.. otherwise A5 3.2 S-line LOADED is IT for me!!!

Quick Reply: Build a dream IS???