IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

paddle shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-09, 10:13 AM
sofresh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I would know what the car is capable of doing and not doing. But anything can and will probably happen. You can be the safest and smallest person out there, but experience is knowledge.
Experience is knowledge? your interpretation of using engine brake contradicts your statement.
Your brakes are much more efficient in terms of slowing down your vehicle.
its great for crazy traffic, and constant stops
I would assume automatic would be more convenient in such situation for *most people.
Engine braking to minimize wear on pads?
ha.....ha.

I believe Kurtz explanation on paddle shifter(shifting) is clear cut.

If your aware of the Murphy's law like you mentioned, why increase the risk of failure...
Old 02-09-09, 10:40 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The problems you are causing by engine braking don't make parts fall off the car the second you do it... it'll take years to destroy parts of the drive train in most cases.
but when u use "B" (like on the RX) then that won't break the engine, right?

Old 02-09-09, 11:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

B mode is something that I've only ever seen on hybrid cars, so it doesn't necessarily apply here...

From just a couple of minutes reading on a Prius forum it appears to be intended the same way you ought to use downshifting/engine braking on our cars though, that is if you're going down a steep grade on the side of a mountain or something and you need to avoid fading the brakes.

This post suggests how to use it to best effect with a hybrid system in hilly driving, and seems informed, but I'm not a hybrid owner so I can't say if it does anything else differently or how accurate this guys info is.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-te...tml#post668141

So if it really does work similar to manual down shifting or down shifting on the 2IS I would as before suggest you avoid using it in lieu of the brakes in normal traffic, and keep its use limited to when you really -need- it such as the mountainous driving I mention.
Old 02-09-09, 11:04 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok. thanks
Old 02-09-09, 11:32 AM
DrO's LeX
Driver School Candidate

I usually just throw my anchor out the back window to avoid using my brakes or tranny...LMAO...NA I actually use both...
Old 02-09-09, 12:59 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrO's LeX
I usually just throw my anchor out the back window to avoid using my brakes or tranny...LMAO...NA I actually use both...
rofl....have you ever thought of using a drag chute?

Old 02-09-09, 02:07 PM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suicidesam
rofl....have you ever thought of using a drag chute?

lol you think that would work in traffic??? if your going from 2mph to stop lol. you know what... if we are concered about wearing out the brakes or wearing out the transmission...maybe we should just learn to stop using the front bumper and the rear bumper of the person in front of us... you'll probably save BOTH the BRAKES and the TRANSMISSION. genious i'd say
Old 02-09-09, 02:15 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KuyaPatz
lol you think that would work in traffic??? if your going from 2mph to stop lol. you know what... if we are concered about wearing out the brakes or wearing out the transmission...maybe we should just learn to stop using the front bumper and the rear bumper of the person in front of us... you'll probably save BOTH the BRAKES and the TRANSMISSION. genious i'd say
Old 02-09-09, 08:45 PM
mikeho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Whereas I never use engine braking unless it's really needed (ie coming down off a mountain or something).

Brakes are a LOT cheaper to replace than transmissions.
That's why I have a manual and rev-match At 63,000 miles, my clutch is fine, my transmission is fine and at 60,000, I still had 75% left on the brakes.

Don't get me wrong, I still use the brakes if I need to slow down faster, but using engine braking has taught me to not accelerate so hard and do more coasting when possible. And I don't have to sit on the brakes at a light.

Last edited by mikeho; 02-09-09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 04:25 AM
omgswifty
Pole Position

i'd have to agree with Kurtz, using engine braking in my SLK rly messed up the tranny, i had to get it fixed cus it was choking frequently= 4-5k. this was after switching over from my stick ek =/. so if i had known better i wouldve solely used the brakes.