IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 differential fluid change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 11:24 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks Joe Z. Am aware of this product however, was unsure if cap would fasten to the Red Line Oil 57904 bottle, unless all quart bottles have a standard opening. Will have to confirm.
Was also considering the following;
OTC 2359 Fluid Gun;
https://www.otctools.com/products/suction-oil-gun

Will have to determine which method would allow for easier maneuverability with accessing fill hole due to limited space while vehicle is on ground.

Last edited by ELexis; 09-09-20 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 08:49 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Joe Z, have since confirmed that Performance Tool fluid pump W1139 dual threaded cap, unfortunately will not thread onto the Red Line 57904 bottle (opening too small for fluid pump cap to attach to).
Is it possible to secure fluid pump to Red Line bottle with HVAC tape or something similar, ust to hld from moving while in use? Don't believe fluid would leak from top opening, due to the included plastic extension tube that attaches to bottom of fluid pump, and reaches to bottom of the Red Line bottle. Maybe even use tape around the threads of Red Line bottle to make larger for fluid pump cap to attache.

Old 09-09-20, 08:58 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by ELexis
Joe Z, have since confirmed that Performance Tool fluid pump W1139 dual threaded cap, unfortunately will not thread onto the Red Line 57904 bottle (opening too small for fluid pump cap to attach to).
Is it possible to secure fluid pump to Red Line bottle with HVAC tape or something similar, ust to hld from moving while in use? Don't believe fluid would leak from top opening, due to the included plastic extension tube that attaches to bottom of fluid pump, and reaches to bottom of the Red Line bottle. Maybe even use tape around the threads of Red Line bottle to make larger for fluid pump cap to attache.

When I changed my fluid I used the Mobil LS fluid. I was able to squirt it in just maneuvering the tip to the fill hole. I suggest maybe going and picking up those clear squirter bottles.The ones like used for ketchup. I think it will make it easier to maneuver, and fill.
Old 09-09-20, 09:13 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Thanks MikeFig82. Was just reviewing some of the clear dispensing bottles you suggested. Would empty contents of Red Line bottle into one of the bottles with integrated spout pictured below, or obtain a bottle that the performance fluid pump cap could attach to (condiment bottle as you suggested).

Old 09-09-20, 02:28 PM
ELexis
Instructor

I'll try the following arrangement for replacing the fluid. Removed the clear tube & clamp from the Performance Tool fluid pump, and attached to your recommended dispenser bottle (12 oz. I believe). May try and locate a 16 oz bottle.

Old 09-10-20, 09:14 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I have used the pump perfectly and not threaded into anything..

Works the same..

This was used on washer fluid container that I cut open to capture my clean diff fluid and then refill with same
oil.

Joe Z
Old 09-11-20, 03:58 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Joe Z, thanks for posting an alternative solution, I appreciate it. To confirm, you cut a washer fluid container in half (or about in half), then poured contents of one or more bottles of gear fluid into the washer container bottom, and then inserted the fluid pump extension tube / pump assembly into the washer container bottom with fluid, and began pumping the fluid into differential, correct? What size tubing was inserted into fiiller hole (3/8"?), and did you have some type of attachment at the end of tude that was inserted into filler hole, or just the tube itself?

Last edited by ELexis; 09-11-20 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-12-20, 10:31 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Joe Z, thanks for posting an alternative solution, I appreciate it. To confirm, you cut a washer fluid container in half (or about in half), then poured contents of one or more bottles of gear fluid into the washer container bottom, and then inserted the fluid pump extension tube / pump assembly into the washer container bottom with fluid, and began pumping the fluid into differential, correct? What size tubing was inserted into fiiller hole (3/8"?), and did you have some type of attachment at the end of tude that was inserted into filler hole, or just the tube itself?
Exactly... I only used pump and tubes that came in the package..

My car was up on 4 jacks and level.

Joe Z
Old 09-12-20, 10:40 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Thanks for followup and confirmation Joe Z. I appreciate it.
Joe Z,off topic inquiry. Are the air intake tubes still available?

Last edited by ELexis; 09-12-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-12-20, 12:35 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for followup and confirmation Joe Z. I appreciate it.
Joe Z,off topic inquiry. Are the air intake tubes still available?
Currently no... Any future plans are still TBA

Joe Z
Old 09-12-20, 12:58 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Understood, thank you.
Apologies for not inquiring in previous message Joe-Z however, what was the diameter of intake tube when produced (3")?

Last edited by ELexis; 09-13-20 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-14-20, 07:58 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Originally Posted by daageep
hey guys, I just replaced my 07 IS350's differential fluid and thought I would post some pictures of the fill/drain bolts as the ones from the front page are down. fyi the fill/drain bolts are on the passenger side.

the following pic is from the rear passenger point of view with the wheel off. the hole in the picture is the fill hole. i do not have a picture of the fill bolt but the bolt has some writing on it, something along the lines of "see owner's manual for oil type", so it should be easy to recognize.

the next picture is also from the passenger side but at a lower angle. the hole at the bottom of the differential is the drain hole.

it was a pain in the butt to remove the bolts. i ended up using a 10mm hex socket and a 3/8 breaker bar (no extensions) on the bolts to remove them. it would help to jack the car up as high up as possible so that the breaker bar clears the floor. I used mobil 1 75/90. good luck.
Regarding daageep'sprevious post (reply # 96 ), " the following pic is from the rear passenger point of view with the wheel off. the hole in the picture is the fill hole. i do not have a picture of the fill bolt but the bolt has some writing on it, something along the lines of "see owner's manual for oil type", so it should be easy to recognize'. photo showing overflow bolt information below;

Old 09-14-20, 08:23 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Differential fluid change was completed while vehicle was on the ground. Used the Performance Tool fluid pump item # W1139 as recommended by Joe Z. In order to have cap fit correctly over the Red Line 57904 (75W90 GL-5 Gear Oil) smaller bottle opening, I wrapped electrical tape over the bottle threads to enlarge, so fluid pump cap would self thread onto the tape / bottle. Worked very well. Was able to position bottle to have access pump after inserting tube into overflow hole, after removing the 10mm overflow hex bolt. Took a few pumps before fluid began moving through tube into differential overflow hole. Once all fluid was disbursed from first one quart bottle, did the same procedure for second bottle. Continued pumping fluid until fluid began to trickle back out of the overflow hole. Removed pump tube and let additional fluid drain out until it was a slow drip. Placed new crush washer (Part # 12157-10010), onto overflow bolt and re-installed bolt. Smae crush washer / part number is used for the drain bolt as well. Observed how original washers were on bolt when it was removed. Placed paper under drain plug after re-installing to confirm no leaks.
Entire fluid change procedure went very well, and would like to thank all members with provided the additional information on how to correctly change differential fluid. I appreciate everyone's time and doing so!!!!
Old 09-14-20, 10:40 AM
OldLs400
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I used a similar pump and it connected just fine to my bottles of Redline 75W85.

I decided to change the fluid around 100K miles. The old fluid came out with a lot of shiny specks of metal.

I decided to go with the 75W85 just for the fuel savings (however minuscule).

In the past I've used a MityVac to suck the fluid out from the fill port.
Old 09-15-20, 02:22 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldLs400
I used a similar pump and it connected just fine to my bottles of Redline 75W85.

I decided to change the fluid around 100K miles. The old fluid came out with a lot of shiny specks of metal.

I decided to go with the 75W85 just for the fuel savings (however minuscule).

In the past I've used a MityVac to suck the fluid out from the fill port.
Do you recall the company that manufactures the fluid pump with cap that fits the smaller opening of the Red Line bottle? I was thinking of using something similar to siphon any remaining fluid in differential, but decided to just drain..Perhaps I should of??
LiquiVac Oil Change System vacuum

Quick Reply: IS350 differential fluid change DIY