IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP!! Recommended winter tires - Nokkian Hakka??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 07:37 PM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!! Recommended winter tires - Nokkian Hakka??

We've been experiencing some serious snowfall these past 2 winters up here in Toronto and I have been not enjoying it too well with my IS250 RWD. I have Pirelli Sottozeros on 225/45/17 all around and have found that they don't provide sufficient traction on heavy snow. I'm planning to changing them to a new set for next winter.

I'm aiming on getting the Nokkian Hakkas R or 5s. Would anyone have any experience with these? I used to own a set of Hakka2s on my Nissan Altima and they were simply amazing. I had no worries whenever there was a heavy snowfall. But, I'm not sure if the Nokkians will make a significance difference on a RWD vehicle.

What brands are you guys running on and how do you find the performance and handling?

Input or opinions are welcomed.

Last edited by dappy; 02-08-09 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 11:57 PM
C-man jr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a finnish person I would say that Nokian tires are absolutely fabulous, I have had Nokian tires on many winters (had some others, such as Michelin and Bridgestone before as well) and I will never again have any other than Nokian tires in the winter.

This is the first time that I have an RWD car, and I've got the Hakka R tires, the size is 225/45 17". I have the studless version but you might also have studs. I've had no trouble what so ever with traction on any surface, and we've had a lot of snow here this winter as well. So, in my opinion, go with the Nokian Hakka R.

A bit of difference with the names, in Finland they're called Hakkapeliitta R and Hakkapeliitta 2, but apparently they're simply Hakka R and Hakka 2 there?
Old 02-08-09, 03:21 AM
Oakley IS
Driver

hakka's studless rule in Norway too!
Old 02-08-09, 04:16 AM
acasaper
Driver

Do they wear a lot in dry condition? Because sometimes this tires wear too much when temperature rises a little bit about 10-15ºC.
Old 02-08-09, 05:46 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Michelin Alpina 3 here and they are great.
Old 02-08-09, 06:35 AM
kmicinski
Driver School Candidate

I am running bridgestone blizzaks and the car was almost undrive-able in any snow before the blizzaks. Now I let my wife drive it with no worries. Winter tires have been one of the best improvements I have ever made to a vehicle.
Old 02-08-09, 07:31 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for your input. I'll most likely will get a set of Nokkians for next winter. Seeing how our Finnish and Noregian friends are having great experiences with them, I'm leaning to do the same.

A bit of difference with the names, in Finland they're called Hakkapeliitta R and Hakkapeliitta 2, but apparently they're simply Hakka R and Hakka 2 there?
They're called Hakkapeliittas here in North America too. I just write "Hakka" for short form. The word is too long.

How's the longevity of the Hakka Rs compared to the 5s? I read that the former compound is softer and will wear out quicker. Would the studded tires provide more traction than the studless?
Old 02-08-09, 10:06 AM
tomede
Driver School Candidate

Answer from another nordic country, Sweden.
I have always used spiked winter tyres before and swithched to friction tyres two years ago and i have not regret the change.

I am running on Nokian G2 WR Friction 225/45-17 and in snow, mud and wet conditions they are great, could be a little better on ice though.
They are alot more quiet than spiked tyres and does not make more sound then my summer tires.

My advice, go for Nokian they are the best.
Old 02-08-09, 11:35 AM
C-man jr
Pole Position

If the temperature is 10-15 C, the studless tire that is intended to be used at least in Finland, will wear out fast, but they're not meant to be driven in those temperatures, that's what summer tires are for Nokian Hakkapeliitta R has not worn out fast, so in my experience I would say that the longevity is very good.

About the noise, I've got Bridgestone Potenzas in the summer (front 225/40 and rear 255/40) and my winter tires are definitely less noisy. Bout the question whether to go studless or with studs: I would take the studless. Got experience on both, and the studless is definitely more quiet and has perfect traction on every surface.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if the Nokian tires that are sold there are made in Finland or in Russia? Since they make them in both countries.